Surprise Gold from eBay

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Surprise Gold from eBay

Postby tractorman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:28 am

On a different note, do you guys think the wear could really drop it under half weight? That seems excessive to me.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:37 am

tractorman wrote:On a different note, do you guys think the wear could really drop it under half weight? That seems excessive to me.

As an example, I weighed a SLICK Barber half and got 11.3g out of a theoretical 12.5g. That's still 90% of original weight.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:26 am

tractorman wrote:On a different note, do you guys think the wear could really drop it under half weight? That seems excessive to me.

Half seems way too high to me...I'd guess it's a quarter or less.

I can put together a roll of nearly slick dimes that's almost 1/2" short of the normal roll length, and it would still weigh around 110g (vs 125g original weight). Taking the details off makes a huge difference to the eye, but the vast majority of the coin's mass is in the core.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:49 am

I think it maybe a Jetton, or gambling token.. They made many that looked like coins.. I have seen smaller ones that looked like 5 dollar gold pieces.. Needs to be tested.Good luck!
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tedandcam » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:26 am

take marketharmony up on his offer. that was very generous of him to offer his time, expertise and equiptment.
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:40 am

tedandcam wrote:take marketharmony up on his offer. that was very generous of him to offer his time, expertise and equiptment.

+1 and keep us posted.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:01 am

tractorman wrote:

As an example, I weighed a SLICK Barber half and got 11.3g out of a theoretical 12.5g. That's still 90% of original weight.

Good obsevation.

Looked at the coin again......starting to think it may not be brass at all.....it could be bronze.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby bman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:10 am

It doesn't have the look of gold to me, I'm thinking it is a contemporary counterfeit & was probably gold plated at one time.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby uthminsta » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:53 am

tractorman wrote:On a different note, do you guys think the wear could really drop it under half weight? That seems excessive to me. As an example, I weighed a SLICK Barber half and got 11.3g out of a theoretical 12.5g. That's still 90% of original weight.

It's sounding like people are moving toward the "it might not be gold" side now. But let's just assume for a few more seconds that it might be. Gold is much softer than silver. (Right? Someone can do the science on that one.) So it's possible that a higher percentage of the total weight of a gold coin to be worn away over time. Just sayin.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:53 pm

uthminsta wrote:
tractorman wrote:On a different note, do you guys think the wear could really drop it under half weight? That seems excessive to me. As an example, I weighed a SLICK Barber half and got 11.3g out of a theoretical 12.5g. That's still 90% of original weight.

It's sounding like people are moving toward the "it might not be gold" side now. But let's just assume for a few more seconds that it might be. Gold is much softer than silver. (Right? Someone can do the science on that one.) So it's possible that a higher percentage of the total weight of a gold coin to be worn away over time. Just sayin.

I agree with your thought on wear, but Ive never seen a large gold piece that worn.. has anyone else?
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby agmoose » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:34 pm

It is certainly worth taking MH up on his offer. In any case - no matter how this turns out, this is one thread certainly worth following until the final results!
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NiBullionCu » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm leaning toward jeton/game counter.

It looks way too porous for gold.

see this example:

from http://www.exonumia.com/sale11/pic/9921.JPG

(I still hope it is gold though ;) )
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby uthminsta » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:41 pm

I suggest also that you take Market Harmony up on his offer. In addition, I say we start an auction immediately, with the end being a certain number of days after MH makes the results known. If you do, I will start it off at $1. :) No matter what his conclusion is.
uthminsta

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:47 pm

Hoping for the best for you, but the bronze counter now seems like the answer. :(
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Oakair » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:25 pm

This is a penny....Large cent...copper

Just my 2cents

(although the dimensions don't add up)
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:I think it maybe a Jetton, or gambling token.. They made many that looked like coins.. I have seen smaller ones that looked like 5 dollar gold pieces.. Needs to be tested.Good luck!

You mean Kettle Tokens?
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:11 pm

The cent is close, but when you put the token next to the "gold" coin, they are identical - at least in the remaining features. Not so for the cent.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:12 pm

Wow, well it's certainly neat, it's worth 50 for mystery.

I going with a cast counterfeit coin, that at one time was gold plated.

20 bucks back then probably had the buying power of 400 or 500 now days, certainly worth the effort.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby DuckTales253 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:33 pm

Oakair wrote:This is a penny....Large cent...copper

Just my 2cents

(although the dimensions don't add up)

First of all, it is definitely NOT a large cent. The coins diameter is much larger than any of the large cent holes in my Dansco U.S. Type Coins album (this was stated in my original post). Plus, the shape of Lady Liberty's neck on the bottom does not match. I went through every copper and silver coin in Photograde, and only the gold coin matched the shape of her neckline.

Second, even though it may not come across in the scans, you can see the general shape of the "Heraldic Eagle" on the reverse of my coin. Mostly the element above the words "IN GOD WE TRUST". See below:

Reverse
Heraldic eagle with spread out wings and holding arrows and olive branch in its talons. The body of the eagle is covered by unfurling banners. Above the eagle are stars and sun rays.

A good friend of my owns a jewelry store. I called him today and explained the situation. I had helped him with buying scrap gold (jewelry only, no coins) in the past, and knew he had equipment to test between 24K and 18K, etc. But he said he can also test for .900 gold. It will apparently involve a scratch test, which I would have done on the reverse. He also has gold cleaner, which is always a scary word for coins, but in this case I may be willing to do it, since in even the best case scenario the coin is only worth melt, and it may restore the look of gold to the eye. Comments?
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Postby natsb88 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:39 pm

DuckTales253 wrote:Comments?

Send it to Market Harmony. He has offered to test it for free, all you have to do is pay the postage both ways. His testing is more accurate and does not require scratching.
natsb88

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:36 am

I wanted to see what the other side looked like (if this is the same jeton)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:39 am

There are thirteen stars on the perimeter of the obverse of the Double Eagle. Yours only has ten, as does the jeton illustrated.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby PMLurker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:25 am

If you have a digital scale, dental floss and a glass of water you can do a specific gravity test that will give you an idea of the base metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYdSEAm-7uI
PMLurker
Penny Sorter Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:36 am

Here they are all side by side, and unfortunately it looks like you have the jeton token.

It is very easily seen at 2 points in her hair. First is the "intestine like" look at the bottom back of her hair whereas the gold coin flows further downward toward the date. Second, on your coin the hair above her crown starts over the B in liberty just like the jeton token, whereas the hair above her crown on the gold coin starts between the L and I in liberty. I wish it would have been the gold coin for you.

CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Tourney64 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:23 am

You can scratch it on the edge of the coin to see if the color changes more to gold vs. it's current copper color. You really don't have to worry about grading anyway, as it is already cull.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals