Who has made a bad buy?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Who has made a bad buy?

Postby Rastatodd » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:55 am

Come my friend to a show that never ends, step inside, step inside. Step up to the "Bad Buy" thread to experience a revaluation into your inner thoughts. Tell the congregation of your transgressions. Only than will you experience that inner peace you so much wish to have.
Sorry for the rambling message, guys. Up late at night, with my bad diabetes number. Damn that Denny's Grand Slam Meal! :lol:
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:55 am

Bad Buy? I bought a house in 2005.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hejira11 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:09 am

I bought a PAMP silver bar....When Silver hits 65.00, I will break even. :(
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby DuckTales253 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:04 am

Rastatodd wrote:Denny's Grand Slam Meal! :lol:

That's the kind of mistake I wish I could make! No Denny's around here :-(
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Double3 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:09 am

NHsorter wrote:Bad Buy? I bought a house in 2005.

:( me too.
Double3
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rastatodd » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:24 pm

That's the kind of mistake I wish I could make! No Denny's around here :-(

No Denny's, my god how do you coup. Have you tried eating at a "Perkins". It is a much better Denny's, IMHO. :D
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:42 pm

I gambled this would be full of war nickels.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250959016902?ss ... 1439.l2649

It wasn't
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby woodyh » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:55 pm

i bought a fake 10 oz bar when silver was at 45.00
the deal was too good to be true , i paid 390 :oops:
live learn and test :!: :!: :!:
thats my worst one :roll:
it was at a coin show
didnt check prices before the show
i did get my money back though
life is like a box of pennys , you never know what your gonna get
woodyh
Penny Collector Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:31 pm

I make bad buys ALL THE TIME!!!!

But when you are constantly making snap decisions on whether you can make a profit, you win some, you lose some. I normally get my investment back one way or another, but here are a few of my doosies.

I bought several ounces of spoons that were marked .9"0" with the zero being a bullseye. I thought they were coin silver - they weren't.
I bought dozens of 1986 Ellis Island commem Half Dollars at 90% of spot assuming they were silver - they weren't.
I buy tobacco all the time and that is never a good buy.
I bought 7 investment properties right before the bottom fell out.

I know there's tons of examples, but somehow I have learned to forget about the "bad beats".
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby MUTiger » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:09 pm

Thogey wrote:I gambled this would be full of war nickels.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250959016902?ss ... 1439.l2649

It wasn't

West Virginee. Is that Doc's other ebay userID? :lol: :lol:

mutiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:03 am

Dealing with another bad buy right now....

Thursday I bought a Seth Thomas mantle clock at auction - normally a pretty decent flipper.

Got it home and the M....F.... um.... the darn thing could use some TLC. Now I have to figure out whether I want to tear into this thing and try to fix it - or just blow it out as a parts / for repair lot on FeeBay.

Here's what will likely happen. It will sit for long enough that I forget what I paid for it, I'll tinker with it from time to time and never get serious about it. When I die my children will dig it out of the attic or basement thinking they've found a real winner! Only to realize the M! the darn thing needs some TLC.

The boy will resolve to fix it. He'll tinker with it from time to time and never get serious about it. When he dies, his children will find it in an attic or basement and burn it for firewood.
Attachments
TLC Seth.jpg
TLC Seth.jpg (88.88 KiB) Viewed 486 times
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:17 am

Bought a Sterling Silver Ring from this "shady" jewelry outfit in a tourist area when I was young for $35. The lady was extremely talkative, trying to get me to buy a ring "for my girlfriend." She kept lowering the price till she got to $35.

Waiting till Silver hits $100 an ounce to even recover that wash.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Robarons » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:24 am

Nice Seth Thomas there. Looks like its in good shape there for parts. They made alot of those suckers and the brand is common. No means low quality, but just not rare.

As it sits for the parts and case I can see a clock like that being worth $25-$50.
Running condition they tend to go for $100-$200 on ebay unless its special or old (looks like a 1890's to me, 1850's fetch far higher prices)
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:31 am

ScottyTX wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:I bought a steak at Applebees once......that was a pretty bad buy.

Wow myabe I'm braindead but they seem to offer a steak I prefer over anything else!

Scotty

The Applebees is so bad where I live that I go into the Waffle House next to it to get a burger. At least it is cooked fresh and tastes like a burger.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:10 am

slickeast wrote:
ScottyTX wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:I bought a steak at Applebees once......that was a pretty bad buy.

Wow myabe I'm braindead but they seem to offer a steak I prefer over anything else!

Scotty

The Applebees is so bad where I live that I go into the Waffle House next to it to get a burger. At least it is cooked fresh and tastes like a burger.

Ahhh Waffle House. I miss that place- there are none where I live, but I spent quite a few nights there in college.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DuckTales253 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:44 am

Hawkeye wrote:Ahhh Waffle House. I miss that place- there are none where I live, but I spent quite a few nights there in college.

I’ve seen a gun five times in my life, three of those were in Waffle Houses.
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:48 pm

I got married to my first wife too young.
Turned out to be a really bad buy.
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby everything » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:10 am

I was buying silver last year at $35 but only about 20 oz. or so, just little stuff I wanted is all, or something I had to have. I thought I paid to much sometimes but just did not care, I wanted it, I had the money, done deal. Those Canadian $20 commemorative?, I think they are a bad buy, I'll still buy them again though. On the other hand, I feel PM cannot be a bad buy unless you get fakes like one other mentioned.

Eating out is a bad buy.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rastatodd » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:19 am

Those Canadian $20 commemorative?, I think they are a bad buy, I'll still buy them again though.

Everything,
I as well thought those $20 Canadian Commemorative were a bad buy. Till I was thinking they are actual Canadian currency. When you buy one you get silver and you get the fall back security of it being cash. The Canadian Royal Mint has a 2012 $20 coin coming out with a design of a swimming polar bear on it. I signed up for an account with the "Mint" just the purpose of buying those when they come out.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:54 am

DuckTales253 wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:Ahhh Waffle House. I miss that place- there are none where I live, but I spent quite a few nights there in college.

I’ve seen a gun five times in my life, three of those were in Waffle Houses.

We have only had 2 shootings at the WH in my town in the last year. One night at work we heard them shooting (thought it was fireworks) and looked outside and watched 2 guys run through the posting lot. Just avoid the Fri and Sat night crowd and you will be ok.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:01 am

I will buy all the $20 silver Canadians I can for $22US each delivered. Any takers?

Sold all three of mine at $30 each.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby tbram88 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:28 am

When it comes to Silver, most of my bad buys were the ones I didn't make.
Like those 90% quarters at the gun show for 18X and I only bought $4.00 face (should have cleaned him out)

A while ago I made a bad sale, I sold 50 Oz when spot hit $20 (I thought I conquered the world) and it never went below that since.

When spot hits $100 we will all be laughing about that great deal we got at $45.00 p/ oz.

All the best...Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:44 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:I will buy all the $20 silver Canadians I can for $22US each delivered. Any takers?

Where were you about three months ago?
I was trying to unload 1,000 of these things...
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:46 pm

Nickelmeister wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:I will buy all the $20 silver Canadians I can for $22US each delivered. Any takers?

Where were you about three months ago?
I was trying to unload 1,000 of these things...

A thousand of them, that there was your problem. Thats HSN numbers. :lol:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals