Opinions on 100 oz silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Opinions on 100 oz silver

Postby uthminsta » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:53 am

wpd7 wrote:Well, if anything you should think about 1/4 or 1/10 rounds instead of 1/2. No real reason to get 1/2s when it's so close to 1oz

Isn't the production premium for smaller fractionals going to make this cost-prohibitive?
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby jimineez » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Me?

I'd buy a 10+ ounce bar if the price is right, but as soon as I wanted/needed to sell any silver, that would be the first to go. Prices all the same I would much rather have 1oz rounds than the big guys...
jimineez
Penny Pincher Member

Postby tbram88 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:14 pm

uthminsta wrote:
wpd7 wrote:Well, if anything you should think about 1/4 or 1/10 rounds instead of 1/2. No real reason to get 1/2s when it's so close to 1oz

Isn't the production premium for smaller fractionals going to make this cost-prohibitive?

Yes the premium on halves was $1.00, Quarters was .80 and tenths is .79

But in all fairness the premium works for you when you sell, when/ if silver hits 100 p/ oz. it will good to have quarters and tenths for sale because a lot of people won't be able to buy ounces (me included)
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby ZenOps » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:59 pm

ScottyTX wrote:I personally cannot see a "very likely" secenario where we revert back to 1800's, start acting like a 3rd world country and use gold and silver for bartering. Well anyways, 100 oz bars are currently no problem at all to liquidate, just stick to JM/Englehard and they are very easy to move. Generic 1 oz rounds are also nice if your looking for low premiums but they're a little less liquid than brand name. If you are awaiting and preparing for a complete world callapse/relapse or holding long term then 100 ozer's don't make a whole lot of sense. The higher the price of silver the less liquid large bars become, sure there are buyers but, I can imagine the premium possibly turning negative at some point due to demand.

Scott

We barter all the time in Canada. One 7 gram nickel loonie for a litre of gasoline. Our dollar *is* nickel, the cotton fiat is optional.

Back in 1970, a barrel of oil was $3.39 US, a pound of nickel was $7.70. That means that 100 Canadian pure nickels ($5) would have been trade equivalent to two barrels of oil. Its only when Nixon shock destroyed all currency metals, did the US begin to go down a road of delusional printed money "assumed" value.

Yes, $5 worth of Canadian nickels (they were all pure nickels back then) would have been trade equivalent into TWO barrels of oil.

I am amazed at how many people think a less than $100 barrel of oil nowadays is "cheap".

In many ways, in a real world day to day bartering situation for say - gasoline and tins of food, Silver is not really as practical as say nickel is. Smaller more accessable denominations do come in handy for small purchases. In Canada, we seem to be around 9 grams of nickel for one litre of gasoline in 2011. 9 grams of nickel will also buy a couple tins of food.

Seriously, the US totally messed up perception of value a long time ago. That the US pays a $100 note (which in pennies could be converted into 68 pounds of copper) to get a barrel of oil seems somehow alien to me. That the US owes 15 trillion, and each family $680,000 in debt - also seems alien.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby AFModell » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:57 pm

Im in the same boat as wpd7. I have one JM 100oz poured bar that I obtained April 2009. I traded some amount of 40% halves, around $740 face, for the bar and some other smaller bars. All the 40%ers were from CRH in TX. I keep the 100oz bar now simply because its fun to hold, and while not as effective as a 1000oz bar, makes a nice door stop!
AFModell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NickelExpress » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:58 pm

ZenOps wrote:
We barter all the ect....

Wonderful post.
NickelExpress
Penny Sorter Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals