Sterling Silver Yard Sale Find - Guy threw me a bone

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Sterling Silver Yard Sale Find - Guy threw me a bone

Postby Pennysaved » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 am

I was at a yard sale Saturday and was looking at the knives and forks in a bin at a yard sale.

An older man looking through the other side of the small bin accidentally poked me with one of the forks.

It was no big deal no scratch or blood

He told me he was sorry and then said I know what you are looking for.

He said you are looking for stuff like this.

He had in his hand a sterling silver handled repousse cake knife.

He handed it to me and said I could buy it; he said it was no good to him since he didnt have the rest of the set.

He then told me that I should carry a really little magnet with me when I am looking at 14k gold.

Obviously he is out there looking for precious metals too.

I thanked him but was a little perplexed why he threw me a bone.

Bought it for a quarter; it had clay in the middle of the handle so was only about $8 of sterling but not bad for a quarter buy.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Sterling Silver Yard Sale Find - Guy threw me a bone

Postby penny pretty » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:02 pm

nice find! I will leave alone references to poked,forked, or bone throwing, in accord to the strict rules of conduct adhered to on realcent!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jimineez » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:31 pm

cool find! that is quite a return on your 25c
jimineez
Penny Pincher Member

Postby everything » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:29 am

A few years ago, I sold house, moved, downsized and had three garage sales total, crazy prices and giveaways. I sold quite a few things that I had bought at estate or garage sales, always for more, sometimes like 5 times more or so, the only thing I made real money on. Sold a few things I wish I wouldn't have. But, I still hit garage sales like a maniac, keep a magnet in the car.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals