What's up with the 1966 cent?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

What's up with the 1966 cent?

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:00 am

I did a copper cent sort this week and when I do I habitually bounce the coins on a hard table top to hear the copper ring. I have come across a third 1966 cent that makes a thud sound when it hits the table. I mean a thud. Not a ring, nothing. Does not sound like a zincoln thud either. Sounds like like one of those magician coins that has been machined out and fitted with another coin's obverse actually. Could the mint have had a bad run of cents in 1966 where air bubbles or an internal fracture was present in the planchets? The first 1966 cent I found like this was a few years ago and I took it to a coin dealer at a show and he brushed it off saying he could hear the coin make a distinctive sound. Barbara Streisand. Now, these 1966 anomalies can not be rare if I found three so easily without a heck of a lot of sorting. The individual weights of them are a little under and a little over the standard 3.11 gram weight. Oxidation and crud may cause that, so weighing is inconclusive. It is only the year 1966 also. Thousands of other cents from pre-82 I have bounced and they all ring nice when tested. Where is the Coin Mystery Search Team?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: What's up with the 1966 cent?

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:56 am

PS does it sound like a clad dime? Do you have a Ryedale if so were does it drop. If you use a copper as your test is in the zinc. Looks like a dime should be 2.27 gram. Also the US mint made coins for other countries. So what if!!!! :mrgreen:
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby penny pretty » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:22 pm

why do canadian zincs ring? spend ten bux on a gram scale and be certain!!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:24 pm

I've never bounced a 1966 Lincoln cent, but I have bounced thousands of 1982's. Half of them make a silver-type ring
and the other half make a low tone ring after multiple bounces. The low tone ring's always weigh out.

On occasion I've bounced a few badly worn pre-82's just to see if they would ring. Some do and some don't but the scale
never lies. ;)
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby OtusLotus » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:54 am

Could also be that the coin is dirty! Soak it in water for a few hours, dry, and then bounce again!

Also you might wamt to try a different part of the table!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing