I got a line on Morgans @ $26.00 each

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I got a line on Morgans @ $26.00 each

Postby tedandcam » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:35 pm

I got a line on some Morgans and Peace dollars for 26.00 each. Even in Good condition, isnt that apretty good price? Help! I'm pretty new at this and GREATLY value the opinions on this forum. Thanx Ted
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Re: I got a line on Morgans @ $26.00 each

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:40 pm

Buy them..........all of them
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:41 pm

Depending on what part of Missouri, if you need some help taking them down, PM me.
John
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:43 pm

I agree... buy all you can get!

Avoid slicks if possible.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby tedandcam » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:46 pm

THANK YOU for the quick replies...supposedly the guy has 80 of them! I 'll post as to how it goes. Im gonna call him back tomorrow
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby HPMBTT » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:47 am

Buy every single one that you can. Even better, see if he will go lower if you buy half or all of them. Example: buy 40 for $25 each, or buy all of them for $24.50 etc. And then after you buy them, come back here and post good pics of the best ones so Doc can rate 'em for you. :) Good luck.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:20 am

Do your checks to make sure they are not counterfeit. There are tons and I mean tons of Chinese fakes out there these days. Weight, dimensions and magnet test minimum.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tedandcam » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:13 am

AGCoinHunter wrote:Do your checks to make sure they are not counterfeit. There are tons and I mean tons of Chinese fakes out there these days. Weight, dimensions and magnet test minimum.

What should the weights be around? I do have a pocket digital scale up to 200 grams in hundreths. Should I take a Morgan and a Peace dollar with me to compare dimensions? I would have to buy one of each as I do not have either. Just begining to build a variety witin my stack. Thanx for your help ( All Y'all :P )
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby tedandcam » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:23 am

Meeting him at noon today( central time)! I still havent had anyone say what they are worth each. Howw good of a deal is this?
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby tractorman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:34 am

I'm no expert, but melt value right now is about $26.25 each. You might get lucky and get some better dates and/or nice coins, if so the deal will just get better from there.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:34 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_dollar

Dimensions and weight listed on the right. There is some variance for wear.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Dcyphrz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:50 pm

I'd get him to meet you inside a coin shop so you could get a few of them tested. $26 if pretty cheap as long as they're legit. I'm not doubting your seller necessarily because if any/all of them are fake, he might not even be aware of it. Anyway, I hope it works out for you.
Dcyphrz
Penny Sorter Member

Postby slickeast » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:30 pm

I am eager to hear how the meeting went.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby pennypicker » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:29 pm

tedandcam wrote:I still havent had anyone say what they are worth each. Howw good of a deal is this?

Currently on ebay the "mean" price for average circulated common date peace dollars is around $30. The mean price for 1921 Morgans is roughly $31 and pre-21 Morgans is $33. Of course nicer grade raw commons in XF to AU are bringing more.

Yes you are getting a very good deal :D
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tedandcam » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:07 pm

:D I checked the weights-in line with the wear on each coin(quite a few were 26.70+). Magnet tested all of them- the only thing the magnet stuck to was the ketchup on my fingers! Dimensions were spot on with the one Morgan I forgot I had from 30 years ago. $26.00 was the price, he said he was firm and I'm pretty sure he is out of work. I could tell he hated to part with them. Going to a re sale shop right now to see a guy that says he'll give me $40.00 for the well worn (slick) ones. I sure hope he's got cash on hand! If this works out I'm gonna go straight to my knees, praise God and give Him the glory! I'll keep updating as the day goes on.
Ted
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:39 pm

[quote="tedandcamago. Going to a re sale shop right now to see a guy that says he'll give me $40.00 for the well worn (slick) ones. [/quote]

Wow, someone is paying $40 for Morgan slicks? :o I wish this person saw my recent run of XF Morgan auctions on this board.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:41 pm

pennypicker wrote:[quote="tedandcamago. Going to a re sale shop right now to see a guy that says he'll give me $40.00 for the well worn (slick) ones.

Wow, someone is paying $40 for Morgan slicks? :o I wish this person saw my recent run of XF Morgan auctions on this board.[/quote]

Seriously. I NEED this guys name and phone #. I'd happily provide him with as many $40 slicks as he can handle.... all you can eat, see? :lol:
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:43 pm

Going to a re sale shop right now to see a guy that says he'll give me $40.00 for the well worn (slick) ones.

Seriously. I NEED this guys name and phone #. I'd happily provide him with as many $40 slicks as he can handle.... all you can eat, see? :lol:
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:06 pm

At $40.00 for slicks I've got a few rolls I would like to get rid of too.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tedandcam » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:24 pm

The guy got tied up at his other place of busines and we are gonna meet tomorow at 4 00 . If he really coughs up even $35 a piece I'll post his phone number for you all. I'm gonna PM one person first though, this person PM'd me and was extremely kind and helpful to a noob (not that the rest haven't been). Thanx again to you all
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby HPMBTT » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:08 am

Just one thing before you go sell them all. Make sure that you check Redbook (or graysheet) prices to see if any of them are valuable (example CC or O mintmark). It would be a shame to get rid of an expensive $50-$200 Morgan dollar for "only" $35-$40.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals