The psychosis is worsening

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

The psychosis is worsening

Postby GGerrands » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:55 pm

Penny madness! I was out of town on a shopping trip to a big(ger) city with many, many banks. Armed with a 411.com list of banks & google maps, after just 2 hours and 20 miles on the jeep, I came home with $460 in unsorted rolls. A couple of bank personnel looked at me like I was crazy or criminal, but some were nice and I was able to get all I could afford with less than half the banks on the list. Goal for next time: $1000!

Note to self...look up payload capacity of vehicle.
GGerrands
Penny Pincher Member

Re: The psychosis is worsening

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:05 pm

Nice. I need to start doing that. How do you approach getting change at a bank at which you don't have an account? Do you just go in and ask for pennies?

Payload capacity on my Cherokee is 1150 lbs, which works out to $1,667.50 - in copper pennies, of course :)
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:45 pm

GGerrands wrote:Penny madness! I was out of town on a shopping trip to a big(ger) city with many, many banks. Armed with a 411.com list of banks & google maps, after just 2 hours and 20 miles on the jeep, I came home with $460 in unsorted rolls. A couple of bank personnel looked at me like I was crazy or criminal, but some were nice and I was able to get all I could afford with less than half the banks on the list. Goal for next time: $1000!

Note to self...look up payload capacity of vehicle.

It gets worse......you start talking to yourself and laughing and smiling when you find wheat pennies. Then out of no where it happens and you find one of the lost tribe members i.e. an Indian Head Penny! Then the maddenss really kicks in! 8-)
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby baggerman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:44 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Nice. I need to start doing that. How do you approach getting change at a bank at which you don't have an account? Do you just go in and ask for pennies?

Payload capacity on my Cherokee is 1150 lbs, which works out to $1,667.50 - in copper pennies, of course :)

When I go to a bank that I do not have an account at I just go in and ask for a $25 box of pennies. Lots of times they say "our pennies are in bags but we can open the bag if you like" I decline and buy the $50 bag of rolls.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby knibloe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:28 am

Hawkeye wrote:Nice. I need to start doing that. How do you approach getting change at a bank at which you don't have an account? Do you just go in and ask for pennies?

You just go in like you belong there, say hello to the teller, smile and ask if you can buy $xxx of pennies. I usually ask for $20. If they bring out a box I say I'll take the whole thing. If they act like they are overloaded with them, I ask if they have a surplus that they want to get rid of. I rarely get turned down.

The other day i asked for $20 and it was very evident that they had more to get rid of I came away with $40 (shame on me for not having more money in my wallet).

Yesterday I went in to pick up a bag, and the woman getting them out of the vault told me that they have lots of rolled cents. I walked away with two boxes of rolled cents as well. I have been picking up at this bank for almost 4 years. I don't have an account there. I offered one time, but they said it wasn't necessary.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby willy13 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:31 am

It is hard for me to drive by a bank and not stop to ask...
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:51 pm

willy13 wrote:It is hard for me to drive by a bank and not stop to ask...

Yes, I agree. Luckily most of them are closed on my commute to work and back.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm probably on a different sorting level than most of you guys. I'm a mere hand sorter who does the equivalent of about a box a week. I have accounts at 2 banks with a total of 6 branches within driving distance, so I've never really had a problem with needing new sources... so far. But, if and when I decide to step up to the big leagues, I'll remember this.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:25 pm

Hawkeye wrote:I'm probably on a different sorting level than most of you guys. I'm a mere hand sorter who does the equivalent of about a box a week. I have accounts at 2 banks with a total of 6 branches within driving distance, so I've never really had a problem with needing new sources... so far. But, if and when I decide to step up to the big leagues, I'll remember this.

Give it time. I think most of us started small. Hand sorting cents is the 'gateway' hobby.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SilverEye » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:35 pm

NHsorter wrote:Give it time. I think most of us started small. Hand sorting cents is the 'gateway' hobby.

lol

A humble handsorter here, that keeps eyeballing those Rydale units..
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing