The BIGGEST single pickup score?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

The BIGGEST single pickup score?

Postby Pennybug » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:28 pm

Just curious... what is YOUR story for the BIGGEST single pickup find? Mine was the 10 rolls of solid 40% ers I got the other week. I'm curious as to who's story beats that (and I'm SURE there are MANY examples). So... what's your biggest pickup (of silver bought at face value)? :shock:
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Re: The BIGGEST single pickup score?

Postby agmoose » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:21 pm

Right after I first started stacking in 2009, I stopped in a 5/3 bank on my way home one evening and asked for halves. The teller had $29, and $27.50 was 90% and the remaining 3 halves were 40%. The next day, I left work early to stop there again and asked a different teller, and he had $100 worth. At the time, $100 was right on the edge of what I could afford and I was a little nervous but said I'd take em all. As he laid the rolls out I saw that each was labeled 1964. Sure enough - every single coin was 90%. I sold 1 roll that day and more than recovered my investment, put the $ back in the bank. It took me almost 5 months to convince my wife this was a good investment and to let me keep doing this. She is now 100% on board. :D

I've had a few other days where I'll hit up 10-12 banks and ask for loose or CWR halves, and found dozens of silver coins, but never nothing quite like those 2 days.

I'm sure there are even better stories - I've read them. I know of one guy who got a full $500 box of Franklins and Walkers a couple years back. I can't imagine that............
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:44 pm

It was a Saturday night, she was sitting by herself at the bar.....wait are we talking women?
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Engineer » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:01 pm

slickeast wrote:It was a Saturday night, she was sitting by herself at the bar.....wait are we talking women?

You met Bertha too? :lol:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby BamaJoe » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:05 pm

I have to give the credit of "my" biggest scores to my little island girl. The first was full rolls of war nickels a few years ago - 32 of them if I remember correctly. The latest was 8 full rolls of 1964 quarters just a few months ago.

Now to answer slickeast - it was two teenage twin sisters in Thailand back about 1988 that I spent a week with. :D The late 80's were interesting for me.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby agmoose » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:09 pm

Engineer wrote:
slickeast wrote:It was a Saturday night, she was sitting by herself at the bar.....wait are we talking women?

You met Bertha too? :lol:

Oh - you've been hoggin too? :mrgreen:
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Dano » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Mine was 100.00 of silver dimes and 80.00 of silver quarters from the same bank, one day back in 2004. The teller even new what they were selling me, they didn't care!
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves."
Dano
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HPMBTT » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Pennybug wrote:Just curious... what is YOUR story for the BIGGEST single pickup find? Mine was the 10 rolls of solid 40% ers I got the other week. I'm curious as to who's story beats that (and I'm SURE there are MANY examples). So... what's your biggest pickup (of silver bought at face value)? :shock:

I'm not telling. :)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:28 pm

I've had many face value pick ups over the years, but none compare to when I was buying bags of junk silver in the mid-80's/early 90's. I once bought a $1000 face value bag of 90% JFK's for $2500 (which is worth $25,000 today). For some reason that purchase really stands out, probably because I could barely lift it. NOBODY wanted silver or gold then, especially after what happened in 1980. I was living at my parents back then and my Mom used to hassle me because all my 90% bags were making massive indentations in/on the rug in my bedroom. I still have all those bags.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Bullion Buzzard » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:50 am

I would have to say mine was.. Helping my mother move and she found an old tin of pennies and dimes from her ex common law husband. Now she didn't want to go through it as it was just small coins worth nothing to her, so she gave it to me. Nearly all were copper pennies and roughly 800.00 worth of dimes, halves and silver dollar. As they broke up in 1993 the odds were good for older coins hurray for me.
Bullion Buzzard

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:23 am

I can't even think back that far and I have had many but, last year I had 2 stand-outs. 1 $1000 bag with 530 40% and 1 $500 box with 313 40%.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:28 am

In December scored 32 Franklin halves, some BU and 2 40%'s from one pickup. Not sure if that counts as a monster score, but worth over $350.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ffej » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:08 pm

My best score ever was one single coin, no big deal...sort of, I asked the young bright male teller if he had any halves or large ike dollars, nope. Then I asked the best question I ever asked, got any weird coins you're tired of counting, yes sir, I have one, but it's kind of expensive...how much, $25.00 he replied. Cool as a cucumber I said meh, i'll take it, whipped out $25.00 bucks, he took it and went to get the coin, placed it in my hand, and i quickly placed it in my pocket without giving it a glance. Thanked him and hot footed it out the door. Got in my getaway car and looked at the $25.00 half ounce gold eagle, less than 1/2 hour later I was sitting in my gold buyers parking lot recounting the $613.00 he just paid me... ( gold was at $1200.00 at the time )....

Told this story on another roll hunting site and was basically told I was FOS, and that no one is that lucky, well they are and I was....
ffej
Penny Sorter Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:14 pm

ffej wrote:My best score ever was one single coin, no big deal...sort of, I asked the young bright male teller if he had any halves or large ike dollars, nope. Then I asked the best question I ever asked, got any weird coins you're tired of counting, yes sir, I have one, but it's kind of expensive...how much, $25.00 he replied. Cool as a cucumber I said meh, i'll take it, whipped out $25.00 bucks, he took it and went to get the coin, placed it in my hand, and i quickly placed it in my pocket without giving it a glance. Thanked him and hot footed it out the door. Got in my getaway car and looked at the $25.00 half ounce gold eagle, less than 1/2 hour later I was sitting in my gold buyers parking lot recounting the $613.00 he just paid me... ( gold was at $1200.00 at the time )....

Told this story on another roll hunting site and was basically told I was FOS, and that no one is that lucky, well they are and I was....

wow
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Saabman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:37 pm

ffej wrote:My best score ever was one single coin, no big deal...sort of, I asked the young bright male teller if he had any halves or large ike dollars, nope. Then I asked the best question I ever asked, got any weird coins you're tired of counting, yes sir, I have one, but it's kind of expensive...how much, $25.00 he replied. Cool as a cucumber I said meh, i'll take it, whipped out $25.00 bucks, he took it and went to get the coin, placed it in my hand, and i quickly placed it in my pocket without giving it a glance. Thanked him and hot footed it out the door. Got in my getaway car and looked at the $25.00 half ounce gold eagle, less than 1/2 hour later I was sitting in my gold buyers parking lot recounting the $613.00 he just paid me... ( gold was at $1200.00 at the time )....

:shock:

WOW is right!!!! AWESOME!!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:01 pm

Nice... but you should've kept it! :cry:
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Diggin4copper » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:15 pm

I got $900.00 worth of silver in one trip a couple weeks ago..I bought all the tellers lunch at Dominos today....
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pennybug » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:53 am

Man... That's a GOOD ONE! I was going to post a topic to see if anyone had ever found gold like that in circulation. Well... guess there's my answer. I tend to think I'd of held on to that one too (unless I was REAL HARD up for cash). THAT is one for the grandkids to hear about someday.

This site has really got me thinking that a metal detector is a waste of time compared to searching like that!
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby ffej » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:23 am

Pennybug wrote:

Man... That's a GOOD ONE! I was going to post a topic to see if anyone had ever found gold like that in circulation. Well... guess there's my answer. I tend to think I'd of held on to that one too (unless I was REAL HARD up for cash). THAT is one for the grandkids to hear about someday.

This site has really got me thinking that a metal detector is a waste of time compared to searching like that!

At that time ( not much has changed ) $25.00 was a major investment, $613.00 to me was big money... :lol:
ffej
Penny Sorter Member

Postby BamaJoe » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:27 am

Now that's a nice haul there. I bet you were looking in your rearview mirror as you drove away to make sure no had came out of the bank, and was running towards you screaming at you to stop. :o
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:42 pm

I found 2 silver dimes in a box once. but then they cut me off... I dont have the luxury some here do. daggnabbit!!!
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennybug » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:20 pm

You owe it to yourself to keep that $613 in investing. Keep searching halves... but it in stocks (I know... I know)... do something to keep that ball rolling throughout your life. You could turn that $25 into $25K before too long. :D and WHAT A STORY that would be!
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals