I'm really liking 90%, what do ya'll like?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I'm really liking 90%, what do ya'll like?

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:34 pm

I like 90% because people recognize it as money and most people over 40 realize that older money is silver.

Most people have no idea what a sliver eagle is.

What ya'll think?
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Re: I'm really liking 90%, what do ya'll like?

Postby avidbrandy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Yea it's become my favorite type of silver to own as well. A lot of people like 1oz rounds and such though instead.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby marblerye » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:45 pm

I like 90% too. I think junk silver is less likely to be counterfeited than the 1 ounce rounds. My favorite are the 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars. They're pretty easy to find since so many were minted (~430 million). Plus they can typically be had right at spot without the same premiums that ASE's, Morgans, and Peace Dollars can command. Rarely circulated, they usually have more "meat on their bones" than other halves. I find many of the 1964 Kennedy's are 0.10-0.50 grams "less-worn" than either Walkers or Franklins. Over time I think those additional 1/10 grams of silver will add up.
marblerye

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:21 pm

I have 5 rolls of 1964 halves I bought in 2000 for 60 a roll. I remember at the time thinking I was getting ripped off. LOL.

Yea 90% would be harder to fake, and would also carry a stiffer penalty.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:23 pm

i like it because it comes in smaller sizes than silver eagles. a silver dime is roughly one-fifteenth of a troy ounce.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tractorman » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:29 pm

Yep, well recognized government issue and about the only way to get fractional silver without a hefty premium. :D
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:33 pm

I have a few 10-ounce bars, but I mostly tend to go for Eagles or U.S. junk silver, the reason being that they were minted by a government to have a known, guaranteed level of purity, so even if they are a bit worn, they can simply be weighed to find out how much silver there is. I like having all different denominations because, in a long term SHTF scenario, differing quantities make for easier trade.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:44 pm

[quote="marblerye"] I think junk silver is less likely to be counterfeited than the 1 ounce rounds. My favorite are the 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars. They're pretty easy to find since so many were minted (~430 million).[quote]

Many people like yourself also like the '64 Kennedy for the same reasons. And when silver prices reach a certain point it will be these same reasons that will make the '64 Kennedy become (the) coin of choice for counterfeiters. Because most '64 Kennedys have virtually no visible wear it will be very easy for counterfeiters to pass their bogus '64 halves without drawing any attention.

For this reason I prefer Franklin halves, especially from the late 50's, that have little but enough visible wear so that even the non-collector such as merchants will feel that it had been circulated in the past and is legit.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:46 pm

tractorman wrote:Yep, well recognized government issue and about the only way to get fractional silver without a hefty premium. :D

Diddo! :D
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:53 pm

I like Morgan Dollars.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Treetop » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:01 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:I like Morgan Dollars.

I like all dollar sized coins. the way I figure the modern commemorative dollars are the least likely of all possible coins to be counter fitted. Plus i like the dollar size the best and low premiums. I love morgans and especially peace dollars to, but premiums limit my buying there.. I feel counter fitting may be a bigger issue in the future.

Other then that, i like silver. some of every size and shape when I find it with the right premiums.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby davycoppitt » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:18 pm

I'm really starting to love my scrap gold. I love gold rings, chains, dental gold, and pretty much anything gold. I'm even starting to love gold filled(in bulk of corse).

My mind changes and goes through cycles on what type I like or it could just be that I love it all.
davycoppitt
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:36 pm

I like 90%, but I've been debating on how to allocate it between older vs newer, and larger vs smaller denominations. There's a lot to be said for newer (heavier) coins, but the older ones like Doc's Morgans have a lot of appeal too.

Is there a good rule of thumb for us newbies to follow?
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:48 pm

I think you've got to envision what purpose(s) you might need it for, and allocate accordingly. Becomes a personal decision, I think. If this helps anyone, here's my allocation.

Not counting small amounts of one-off oddball stuff, I'm allocated about 50% .999 (which is about 80% ASEs, 10% Maples, and 10% rounds/onzas/bars) and 50% US 90%.

The 90% is - in round numbers - about 55% halves, 25% quarters, 15% dimes, 5% dollars (some random war nicks & 40% not included).

You'll note a strong preference for US coin (whether 90% or ASEs), and when not US, a strong preference for well-known bullion and/or North America coins.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby justj2k78 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:08 pm

.999 Government issue, generally Eagles, once in a while Leafs and other Canadian stuff, and rarely something more exotic. Still .999 Government issue.
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:34 pm

Like: Government issue ASE's, CML's and 90% dimes quarters and halves.

Don't like: Any bars over 10oz and generic rounds that cause the average person to say WTF is that?
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby DRP270 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:54 pm

If I could only buy one form of silver it would be 90%. All the reasons stated above--recognizable, fractional, zero fake rates (well, dollars are an issue). Glad I can buy .999+ to add to the stack.
DRP270
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Beau » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:03 am

I like 90% in all coins but if TSHTF ever happens and I beleive it will 90% is what will be the esaiest to spend, in all sizes.

I like .999 mostly Silver Eagles which could be traded but to less people because of reconition.
I only collect American USA metal money.
Englehard Prospectors yea.

I was thinking of Canadian Maples, but the Milk spots they have turned me away form them even though I have a few that do not have the problem.

what causes the Milk spots in some Canadian .9999 and none in the .999 Silver Eagles?
when I do buy a Maple or other Canadian I always put it into an airtight, never seen a milk spot develop in an airtight.

I have a bunch of foreighn coins that I don`t know what they are and have no interest in. I maybe missing out on a million in the coins I have but I will never find out because of no interest to find out what they are.

OLD PAPER BILLS are one thing I`am going to dig into soon.
I know nothing about them eiter.

Last edited by Beau on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:09 am

Beau wrote:.
what causes the Milk spots in some Canadian .9999 and none in the .999 Silver Eagles?

improper rinsing and drying of blanks
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Beau » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:18 am

THANKS Doc for the reply.

we need to send a group of people up to Canada to teach the Canucks how to clean and dry their blanks for Maples and the animal coins, and other collectibles.

wash them .999 times and have good looking coins, do not clean .9999 times, and get milk spots, and a rejected coins.

I`am glad that we don`t get their dirty water down here, it goes throught sand and other minerals to clean the water so we don`t get milk spots when we take a bath. :lol:

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby melhen26 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:44 am

I don't much care for the junk. I prefer the frac 999. Sure you pay more for it,but the same premium is realized when you sell it. You don't have to wash your hands after handling it either ;)
melhen26

Postby Silver Addict » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:24 am

VWBEAMER wrote:I have 5 rolls of 1964 halves I bought in 2000 for 60 a roll. I remember at the time thinking I was getting ripped off. LOL.

Yea 90% would be harder to fake, and would also carry a stiffer penalty.

Why would it carry a stiffer penalty? They are both legal tender.
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby rickygee » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:13 pm

ASE's
Philharmonics (actually tied with the silver eagles)
Maples
90%
Last edited by rickygee on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby alpacafarmer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:15 am

I like to buy what ever I can get a good deal on. 90% are my favorite and 40% is my least favorite but I must admit I have made a lot more money on 40% than anything else because it is the only thing I don't like to hold so I only buy it when the price is just to low to pass up. I bought a large amount of silver off a guy a few years ago and he had 37 rolls of 40% that I didn't want and he just kept dropping the price till I couldn't say no. I took them to a coin show in Pittsburg last year and swapped them out for a large Gold proof British coin ( over an ounce) several nice comm. halves, MS 1955 Franklin, 2 CC Morgan's and a check for more than I paid for them.
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Postby DuckTales253 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:46 am

alpacafarmer wrote:I like to buy what ever I can get a good deal on. 90% are my favorite and 40% is my least favorite but I must admit I have made a lot more money on 40% than anything else because it is the only thing I don't like to hold so I only buy it when the price is just to low to pass up. I bought a large amount of silver off a guy a few years ago and he had 37 rolls of 40% that I didn't want and he just kept dropping the price till I couldn't say no. I took them to a coin show in Pittsburg last year and swapped them out for a large Gold proof British coin ( over an ounce) several nice comm. halves, MS 1955 Franklin, 2 CC Morgan's and a check for more than I paid for them.

I'm with alpacafarmer on this one. My holdings are mostly 90% with a few well-recognized and government-issued bullion coins like American Silver Eagles or Maple Leafs. I am wary of any type of generic silver rounds or bars. I am always trying to sell my 35%, 40%, and foreign silver to buy more of what I like.
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals