TD Bank Penny Arcade?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

TD Bank Penny Arcade?

Postby Dinero2005 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:24 am

I'm looking for new places to dump my zinc and I know a lot of you use TD Bank. I'm hearing they're limiting the dumps in some places but they're fairly new here in the south so I may give them a try. I just don't want to open an account there to do it. Does anybody know if they require an account to dump without a fee?

I've just never had an account at a bank and I refuse to fund their greedy shareholders. Although, TD is open on Saturday and that would be convenient if I can do it for free. Can't find anything on their website.
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Re: TD Bank Penny Arcade?

Postby Dinero2005 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:28 am

Found it! Ugh... I guess it's either the random account service fees or 6%. I think I'll stick with the credit unions where everything is free.

Penny Arcade coin counting fee
Is there a fee/charge for using the Penny Arcade coin counting?
Penny Arcade coin counting is a free service for all TD customers. Whether you're a TD Bank, TD Canada Trust, TD Ameritrade or TD Insurance customer, as long your account bears the TD shield, you may use any of our Penny Arcade coin counting machines absolutely free of charge.
If you are not a TD customer, you may open an account today and the usage fee will be waived. If you choose not to open an account, Penny Arcade is still a great value with only a 6% usage fee, a competitive price that lets you enjoy this exclusive customer benefit.
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Dinero2005 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:40 am

Hmmm... Add this to the list of why I don't like banks.

TD Simple:
No minimum balance (can't waive fee)
2.99/mo

TD Convenience:
$100 minimum balance
$14 monthly fee (waived if $100 average daily met)

What the heck? That's a big jump in fees from one to the next. Honestly the $2.99 doesn't seem unreasonable but I don't understand the big jump. Man I hate banks...

Oh lord, I just realized that I was looking at just checking accounts. The savings accounts are worse. What does everybody else do? Maybe get a kids savings account? Looks like the fees are lower there but they still charge. Ugh!!
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Postby PennysaverCP » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:06 pm

Whats so hard about maintaining a $100.00 balance to waive fees? It is well worth parking $100.00 in a savings account to dump zincs. I wish I had a TD Bank around me
PennysaverCP
Penny Collector Member

Postby fb101 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:14 pm

^^^^
What he said. I keep a $100 minimum balance, also I deposit dumps some times, then take it out at my convenience. Only pain is the TD fee for withdrawal if
you use another banks ATM for the withdrawal, but since I dump almost every day, I'm there anyway.

With rare occasion I find the TD counters to be 90% accurate (although one messed up last week and I got nailed for a LOT)
If it were not for TDs I'd be doing a lot less.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby slickeast » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:53 pm

When I dumped halves there for the first time i found out that they have the batch set up for $100 per bag. 10 bags later and i was done dumping my $1000
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Dinero2005 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:11 pm

PennysaverCP wrote:Whats so hard about maintaining a $100.00 balance to waive fees? It is well worth parking $100.00 in a savings account to dump zincs. I wish I had a TD Bank around me

Their savings is $250 minimum. The $100 refers to the checking. The thing I haven't found out is if you can have a checking without a savings or vice versa. The credit union's minimums are $5, no fee and no stipulations to avoid a fee. I understand more than most that banks are in business to make money. I just have a hard time helping them do it. That being said, the convenience of Saturday hours might make tying up the cash or paying a $3 fee worth it.

Does anybody get boxes of cents or halves from TD?

BTW, why do they call it an "arcade"? Is it some sort of carnival game?
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Postby PADFH » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:36 pm

I opened an account with $50 at PNC. Luckily they have a jet sort that dumps into one big bin. I occasionally have to wait for them to change it but don't have to wait filling multiple bags.
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Bullion Buzzard » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:05 am

I have a TD bank here in the KW region that is free with or w/o an account. Now all I need is dump truck that can fit through the front door. :mrgreen:
Bullion Buzzard

Postby Dinero2005 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:29 am

Bullion Buzzard wrote:I have a TD bank here in the KW region that is free with or w/o an account. Now all I need is dump truck that can fit through the front door. :mrgreen:

I'm not sure where KW is but look what I found.

"Penny Arcade coin counting is a free service for all TD customers. Whether you're a TD Bank, TD Canada Trust, TD Ameritrade or TD Insurance customer, as long your account bears the TD shield, you may use any of our Penny Arcade coin counting machines absolutely free of charge.

Guess who just opened a FREE account with TD Ameritrade online! I'll go by there this week and check it out. This could work out well because they recently took over a local bank with several convenient locations and Saturday hours.
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Dinero2005 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:34 pm

WOW! I just had my first experience with Penny Arcade and I was impressed. I've used coin counters at 3 different credit unions and a grocery store (before I knew better) and this machine is awesome! I couldn't pour my coins in fast enough. Now the little girl is a little annoying but I can live with that. I had to show the teller that they could do it for TD Ameritrade customers too. She wasn't rude or anything it's just that none of them knew.

It took 5 minutes to open a free account with TD Ameritrade online then 20 minutes to dump 2 buckets of cents in the machine. They even gave me a sucker. :P
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:07 am

I had an argument with a teller last night. As she was changing bags, I grabbed a couple of bent coins off of the PVC reject chute that did not make their way down to the cup. She tried telling me that those are the banks coins, not mine. I explained to her that they are coins that are intended for the return cup and they just did not make it all the way out because the angle of the PVC pipe is not right. She went further to add that I was wrong and that the machine will shoot the coins that are mine all the way out to the tray, and that the ones that are on the PVC pipe are the banks and not mine. I just flat out told her that she was dead wrong and that I am keeping my bent coins. She said that she was going to take it up with the manager and I told her to go right ahead. I explained to her that I PVC pipe can't differentiate. I don't think she knew the definition of differentiate. She just affirmed her belief that my coins would all make it into the cup. I finished up and cashed out an no manager came to talk to me, so I went on my way. This branch always tends to be a little on the rude side, but this kind of ticked me off. Usually, for the meager $0.50 or so I would not have argued and risked getting cut off at a dump bank, but this teller just really rubbed me the wrong way and I felt the need to stand my ground. What a difference from one branch to another! I am always friendly when I go in there and I probably only dump 3 times a month at this branch so it's not like I am abusing the machine. I keep the dumps right around $75 or so. I almost went back out and grabbed a couple more bags just to be a pain. I had about another $200 FV of zinc in my truck and I thought it would be funny to go right back in with more so that she had to change the bags again. If they are rude like that again then they will be the recipients of a monster dump. I can afford to lose this branch anyway because the traffic is just terrible getting there. It's only a mile off of my normal path to work, but it's always gridlocked.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:32 am

Good for you, NH! That's my feel good story of the week 8-)
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby fb101 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:40 am

Good going NH. But don't worry; If you're so stupid you can't see that the pvc chute empties into the reject tray, I'm pretty sure you can't count.
She won't be there long.

Any for the original thread, I have checking no savings at TD an dno problems dumping and no fees with minimum.
Also there are Soooooooooooo many around here I'm always at different ones.

just do it.
fb101

Postby NHsorter » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:24 pm

fb101 wrote:Good going NH. But don't worry; If you're so stupid you can't see that the pvc chute empties into the reject tray, I'm pretty sure you can't count.
She won't be there long.
just do it.

VERY TRUE! It was the first time I saw here there, so hopefully it will also be the last!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing