"numismedia.com"--I just don't understand their prices!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

"numismedia.com"--I just don't understand their prices!

Postby pennypicker » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:55 pm

A lot of members here have mentioned the website "numismedia.com" as a site that gives up to date, fair and accurate pricing on coins. So today I'm checking out their prices on halves and they show all Franklins from 1948 to 1955 in G-4 condition as being worth $16.68 each. Then I check out Walkers and they show almost every Walker from 1940 to 1947 in much higher grade XF-40 are worth much less at only $14.

Show me any coin shop in the country that will sell XF Walkers for $2.68 less than '48 - '55 Franklins in G-4 condition.
And this is just one of many inconsistancies I regulary see on their site.

I just don't get it... :roll:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: "numismedia.com"--I just don't understand their prices!

Postby barrytrot » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:14 pm

Numismedia.com is a good source for collectible coins.

You are talking about bullion grade "junk". No price guide in the world has any relevance on that. For the pricing of those: weigh them and multiply by the metal content!

Check out their pricing on MS64+ Walkers and Franklins and numismedia.com is a very good gauge! And for most other collectible level coins as well.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:17 pm

barrytrot wrote:Numismedia.com is a good source for collectible coins.

You are talking about bullion grade "junk". No price guide in the world has any relevance on that. For the pricing of those: weigh them and multiply by the metal content!

Check out their pricing on MS64+ Walkers and Franklins and numismedia.com is a very good gauge! And for most other collectible level coins as well.

yep.......numi stuff.

I have doubled numismedias "book price" to buy a morgan before for my personal collection. That example is a little out there.....but you will notice white Morgans in PCGS Plastic that are MS quality ending at around book +or- 15% on average.

Furthermore the Greysheet (dealer to dealer book)on the series has a skinny spread to numismedia.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby pennypicker » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:52 pm

barrytrot wrote:You are talking about bullion grade "junk". No price guide in the world has any relevance on that. For the pricing of those: weigh them and multiply by the metal content!.

I agree completely however this doesn't explain to me their rationale for giving G-4 '48 thru '55 Franklins a value that is $2.68 more than XF Walkers '40 thru '47. If bullion is bullion then the prices should be the same for both types with perhaps a small premium given to the XF Walkers.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:16 pm

They do the same thing on late date Mercury dimes versus early Roosevelts.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:19 am

Engineer wrote:They do the same thing on late date Mercury dimes versus early Roosevelts.

Exactly. This was one of the "other consistencies" I was referring to in my original post.

pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby getdong » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:40 am

glad u asked id checked out both those in the past and was also confused
getdong
Penny Sorter Member

Postby dan53 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:33 am

Regarding Franklins and Walkers in the grades from G-4 --- XF-40 with coins in that range with similar grade, a walker will have less silver content than will a Franklin of the same grade. In theses grades there is hardly any numismatic value and its the bullion value that has the greater price influence....less silver due to wear = less price influence.

Another factor could be that while the Franklins have little numis value, the most value occurred from 1948-1955. The least numis value in the walkers was from 1940 - 1947.

I'm not taking sides on the numis site. I am just offering a possible explanation. I could be wrong.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SilverEye » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Can someone detail what BN, RB, and RD mean on that site? I'm looking at pennies and it's mostly just the BN rows that have values. Sometimes the RD and RD will have values, but only for the MS60, and those prices are quite high. I did search around and it says BN is brown, RB is red brown, and RD is red, but I don't know what that all means.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:09 pm

SilverEye wrote:Can someone detail what BN, RB, and RD mean on that site? I'm looking at pennies and it's mostly just the BN rows that have values. Sometimes the RD and RD will have values, but only for the MS60, and those prices are quite high. I did search around and it says BN is brown, RB is red brown, and RD is red, but I don't know what that all means.

Its always been my understanding that RD refers to a penny that has most or all of its original lustre which give it a red appearance. BN refers to a penny that is brown in color and no longer has any of it's original luster. And RB is a cent which has some of it's original lustre but also exhibits some brown color from handling.

pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby schockergd » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Prices are for NgC graded coins, not raw.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals