every damn bank i goto!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

every damn bank i goto!

Postby lance » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:14 pm

Has no half dollars! I use to always ask tellers if they ever come across any pre 64 silver coins but that seems like too deep of a question for most of them....so i started simplifying it by just asking if they have half dollars. But they never do...im getting tired of paying top dollar for silver...it blows my mine all the people that sell their old silver coins to shops for dirt cheap...i was at a shop today and a guy brought in a small bucket of silver dimes and sold them for 1100...the owner told me theres 4500 worth of silver...maybe i need to open my own shop! Lol...
lance
Penny Collector Member

Re: every damn bank i goto!

Postby Beau » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:03 am

just look around you can find a free paper that you can put an ad in for silver coins.
here we have the Thrifty Nickel, buy finder, quick quarter, town ad`s.
put an ad in all of them that are free to noncommercial ad`s.

I did this 4 years ago, and I still get calls after the ad has been out of the paper for 2 years now. when you get a call go look at the coins and make an offer.
you will win some and loose some, the gas cost will be the only thing holding you back, but try it anyway.
even after 2 year with no ad and a coin shop has moved into town, I still get calls
this past year I bought 12K in coins from people that do not trust the coin shop.
the people do not even get a price from the coin shop or Pawn Shop any more.
I show the the coin book and buy their coins.
some people have even dropped off coins for me to look through and make them an offer.
I do not like the drop offs and they call me later, because they could say I took a coin or two out.
most of the time they say just mail me a check, but most do want cash and now.

try this and you will be surprised, but not on the first 6 months you may get nothing
then the calls start to pour in, because people that you have bought coins from start to pass the word of mouth, if you have treated them right on their coins.
then you need plenty of cash around the house.
GET READY TO BUY.
I can`t get coins from the banks here either, so I tred this and IT WORKS.

the only thing you will have to buy their whole collection, not just the coins you want then sell the coins you did not want to buy on this site or Ebay.
someone will want different coins than you do.

I don`t know anything about foreighn coins so I let them know before I start to look at the coins, most of the time you will hear I don`t either someone gave me them. then they say you bought my whole collection so take the foreightn stuff if you want it.

I say I can give it to someone that collects them, then I put a coin in a sale that I don`t charge for, to people that collect them, when I make a sale on this site.

keep up with the silver price on Kitco a few times a day.

GOOD LUCK Beau

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:01 am

I had a teller ask what I was looking for. I said "old coins" and she said "they have dates?"
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Engineer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:01 am

JadeDragon wrote:I had a teller ask what I was looking for. I said "old coins" and she said "they have dates?"

:lol:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mtldealer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:41 am

lance wrote:Has no half dollars! I use to always ask tellers if they ever come across any pre 64 silver coins but that seems like too deep of a question for most of them....so i started simplifying it by just asking if they have half dollars. But they never do...im getting tired of paying top dollar for silver...it blows my mine all the people that sell their old silver coins to shops for dirt cheap...i was at a shop today and a guy brought in a small bucket of silver dimes and sold them for 1100...the owner told me theres 4500 worth of silver...maybe i need to open my own shop! Lol...

What area are in in?
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:08 am

which is why most people order them. The trick is getting to the coin machine bags. Just talked to a cop at a CU the other day.. yep, he pulled 109 - 40% out of the bag and what makes me mad is I can't even get that bank to sell me the bags. Everyone that works there goes through them and I wouldn't want them just for that reason but, I just hate the double standard...
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Saabman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:05 am

mtldealer wrote:
lance wrote:Has no half dollars! I use to always ask tellers if they ever come across any pre 64 silver coins but that seems like too deep of a question for most of them....so i started simplifying it by just asking if they have half dollars. But they never do...im getting tired of paying top dollar for silver...it blows my mine all the people that sell their old silver coins to shops for dirt cheap...i was at a shop today and a guy brought in a small bucket of silver dimes and sold them for 1100...the owner told me theres 4500 worth of silver...maybe i need to open my own shop! Lol...

What area are in in?

+1

Happened to me last week. I was at one of my dump branches and the girl asked what I was doing with so many halves, went through the usual story......and then she said that her husband liked .....get this......"cleaning"the old coins, she promptly pulls out 6 x 64's from her purse that she's saving for her husband!!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby lance » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:00 am

Yah i was gonna try and local papers and put a ad in them ive just been slacking on it...but im gonna do it asap now....ive tried craigslist.com a few times its just way too oversaturated with ads with people looking for coins....ive had a little luck though with local forsale facebook pages...
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby Aqualung48 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:39 am

The other day I was paying $10.66 to an elderly Russian lady at the cashier. I handed her a ten dollar FRN, a clad quarter and a clad kennedy half. She questioned the half dollar. I explained it was fifty cents. She threw it in the cash drawer like it was garbage, made a frown, and gave me my change. I got the impression she had no clue was a half dollar coin was. With so many paying for everything with credit cards and debit cards, one has to wonder how long the mint will continue making any coins, especially pennies. I can remember when a penny had value and could buy something. Course then, I could go to the bank and get a roll of quarters for $10.00 and all would be 90% silver. At the time, I was just saving mercury dimes. Within a year or two, I was saving all silver. It seemed to disappear fast and roll searching was only giving 4-5 90% quarters per roll and about the same for silver roosies so I stopped. Its amazing yuse guys still find them in circulation. To those who still get them for circulation, I have to compliment both your eyes and your determination.
Aqualung48
Penny Sorter Member

Postby SilverEye » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:03 pm

Never get mad at other people ruining old coins. Each one they devalue by cleaning or whatever makes yours rarer and more valuable.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby DuckTales253 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:30 pm

aev wrote:The trick is getting to the coin machine bags.

How exactly do you go about acquiring coin machine bags? Do you just pay them the cash equivalent of what it contains? Who do you speak to about this?

Thanks!
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:30 pm

DuckTales253 wrote:
aev wrote:How exactly do you go about acquiring coin machine bags? Do you just pay them the cash equivalent of what it contains? Who do you speak to about this?

Thanks!

I found a friendly teller and asked her if they'd let me buy bags of halves whenever the machine filled one up. She had to clear it with the manager, but now they have a note in the machine telling them to call me whenever they pull out a bag of halves.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:08 pm

SilverEye wrote:Never get mad at other people ruining old coins. Each one they devalue by cleaning or whatever makes yours rarer and more valuable.

cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Just talk to the vault teller or they might be called the vault manager... I just go around and ask. Start with the branch manager. Had to go that route a few times.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals