traveling coin buyer

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

traveling coin buyer

Postby lance » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:42 pm

So every now and then there is a huge ad in the paper for a company that buys metals...they show a picture of a morgan and underneath it says "will pay upto $20000!" Etc. Anyways...i sent my fiance in with a 1oz silver eagle to see approx what they would pay for a ounce of silver...at first they offered her $25 then the lady said she could go $27 tops...she admited to my fiance that a ounce is around $33 and that they needed to make a profit...i was actually shocked they offered her such a fair price...i figured they would low ball her...anyways my gf passed on the offer but before she left i guess the lady said "now is the time to sell because silver is gonna drop" lmao...im sure thats why they travel around and buy coins right?
lance
Penny Collector Member

Re: traveling coin buyer

Postby nero12345 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:52 pm

lance wrote:she admited to my fiance that a ounce is around $33 and that they needed to make a profit...i was actually shocked they offered her such a fair price...i figured they would low ball her...anyways my gf passed on the offer but before she left i guess the lady said "now is the time to sell because silver is gonna drop" lmao...im sure thats why they travel around and buy coins right?

Yup they're providing a great service buying silver that's gonna bomb out. They'll take the loss for us. I believe they are a government agency, sounds like something they'd put together. LOL. Your right though I am surprised they offered that. Not great but not bad either I guess.
Last edited by nero12345 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:21 pm

nero12345 wrote:Yup they're providing a great service buying silver that's gonna bomb out. They'll take the loss for us. I believe they are a government agency, sounds like something they'd put together. LOL. Your right though I am surprised they offered that. Not great but not bad either I guess.

Dude, I think some of your "Quicksilver" is affecting you. Those outfits are padding the wallets of the 1%-ers!!
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby nero12345 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:28 pm

cesariojpn wrote:
nero12345 wrote:Yup they're providing a great service buying silver that's gonna bomb out. They'll take the loss for us. I believe they are a government agency, sounds like something they'd put together. LOL. Your right though I am surprised they offered that. Not great but not bad either I guess.

Dude, I think some of your "Quicksilver" is affecting you. Those outfits are padding the wallets of the 1%-ers!!

Quicksilver, Not sure what you mean by that, Dude? If you didn't get the sarcasim in my post it was lost through the text. what i meant was only a goverment agency would put together something that would buy something to lose money refering to the comment the girl made about selling now before the price goes down. Again sarcasim gets lost sometimes through text. I don`t believe silver will bomb out, quite the opposite. Ach, what do I know I just started this yesterday anyhow. ;)
Last edited by nero12345 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby Ireland_925 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:50 pm

From what I understand, these outfits just buy from the public for cheap and turn right around sell to refiners for a quick profit flip. Most aren't in it for the gold/silver itself at all (they aren't investors), they are in it for a cash profit. Same way with jewelry stores that do the "we buy gold" thing, just goes straight to the refiner. From the refiner, it just goes right back into making product (gold eagles, jewelry, etc.). All it is is a cycle. I know of one local PM guy here that has contracted with some of the traveling gold buyers. They set up shop for the weekend and at the end he buys all they collected for slightly lower than a refiner would pay. Then he just takes it to a refiner for a quick profit himself. The gold they bought from the public really never even left town. I don't think it has anything to do with any government/1% conspiracy, foreign or domestic.
Ireland_925

Postby PADFH » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:05 pm

If I had someone offering me Eagles for $27, I be encouraging them to sell too!!
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:30 am

Last edited by cesariojpn on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:32 am

nero12345 wrote:Quicksilver, Not sure what you mean by that, Dude?

And seems that people still can't do a basic google search.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_%28element%29
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:35 am

cesariojpn wrote:
nero12345 wrote:Quicksilver, Not sure what you mean by that, Dude?

And seems that people still can't do a basic google search.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_%28element%29

I assumed you meant mercury, but I did the Google search anyway. I came up with skating clothes, a Mac operating system, and the Kevin Bacon movie, but no mercury on page 1. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicksilver_%28software%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicksilver_%28comics%29
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dannan14 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:40 am

tractorman wrote:
I assumed you meant mercury, but I did the Google search anyway. I came up with skating clothes, a Mac operating system, and the Kevin Bacon movie, but no mercury on page 1. :lol:

Quicksilver is an ancient name for mercury.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby tractorman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:42 am

dannan14 wrote:
tractorman wrote:

Quicksilver is an ancient name for mercury.

Sure it is, but obviously its not the only (or most popular) use of the word today.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:53 am

Wow, I'm in the wrong line of work!
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:54 am

Sure it is, but obviously its not the only (or most popular) use of the word today.

That is somewhat true in American English, but that doesn't mean we can't learn a little Greek or Latin to understand what our words really mean (and to help us understand other languages). A quick websearch even gives the history of the chemical symbol Hg.

Named after "Mercury", the god of speed and messenger of the Gods, as was the "planet Mercury" named after the god.
The symbol Hg is from Greek name, ὕδωρ and ἀργυρός (hydor and argyros), which became Latin, Hydrargyrum; both mean "water-silver", because it is a liquid like water (at room temperature), and has silvery metallic sheen.

The term quicksilver is still favored over the mythological derivation in many parts of the world.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/quicksilver
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quecksilber
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tractorman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:58 am

Yes, quicksilver=mercury. We know. I only put in my $0.02 because of the honest request for clarification that was answered with an insult, see above.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Ireland_925 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:09 am

Don't know how mercury came into this conversation... hehe... ? Don't mess with mercury though, it is highly toxic and non-stackable.

Let's hear more comments about the original post.
Ireland_925

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:40 am

Just this past week "Quicksilver Coin Co." did their traveling coin buying thing here in Orange County. I stopped in but didn't bring any silver coins with me. Couldn't get them to give my a straight answer on what their buying prices were like.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CopperHound » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:58 am

That brings up an interesting question - what is a "fair" dealer buy? 5% under market value? 10%? 20%?
CopperHound

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals