You can't trust anyone and stay safe.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

You can't trust anyone and stay safe.

Postby thesilvertiger » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:29 am

Home invasion victim on life support; murder investigation continues
GONZALES, LA -
After a brutal attack left her husband and son dead, Shirley Marchand, 72, remains on life support Monday. Ascension Parish deputies found all three victims inside their Gonzales home, with their throats slashed Saturday night.

Sunday, neighbors said they wanted to know why someone would kill such a quiet family. Neighbors say the Marchand's kept to themselves, but were giving people.

Co-workers of Shirley Marchand's son say they too are shocked.

"We just kind of going thru the motions today," said Scott Millican, who worked with Douglas Dooley, 50, at Arco Electric Company in Baton Rouge. "You go home expecting to come back Monday, see everybody's face that you left Friday. And to have one of those people taken like Doug was, it's really hard to get over."

Dooley's wife, who lives in Tennessee called deputies in Ascension after she hadn't heard from her husband on Saturday. When deputies checked his mother and step-fathers home in Gonzales, they found Dooley, Robert Irwin Marchand, 74, and Shirley Marchand, 72, with their throats slashed and puncture wounds on their bodies.

"The hardest part is I spoke with him on Friday. Talked to him, thinking bout going fishing this weekend," said Nelson Velasquez. Velasquez says he worked with Dooley for three years, but the two also were friends outside of work. “He'd come over and cook for me and my kids and my wife because we're not from here."

Sheriff Jeff Wiley says there's no doubt this home invasion was planned. There was no forced entry. Leading investigators to believe the person or persons possibly knew the family.

Wiley also says no TV's were taken, no cell phones or laptops. Only a safe. "We think they knew valuables were in house and they knew something about Marchand's," Sheriff Wiley said. Inside the safe was a collection of gold coins, dating back to the 1890's and 1900's worth about a half million dollars.
thesilvertiger
Penny Sorter Member

Re: You can't trust anyone and stay safe.

Postby Ardent Listener » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:51 am

Starting to look like you can't have a known safe and stay safe.
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby thesilvertiger » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:16 pm

This one is a little personal for me. I had dealt with the father in about 20-25 face to face transactions. He was a really nice guy. He was a little quirky....in the same collector way each of us here are. The funny thing is that the transactions weren't coin related and I had no idea that he was a collector.
thesilvertiger
Penny Sorter Member

Postby nero12345 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:10 pm

i read this the other day. Truely awful and made me sick to my stomach. Don't ever let your guard down. i think we'll see that the animals responsible for this also knew the vitims in some way. Stay safe and never flaunt what you have to anyone.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:25 pm

Same thing happened in southern Minnesota. Husband killed and wife and two daughters severly beaten. Masked man just came into their home and did this. Makes you not feel safe in your home. And it is only going to get worse.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby dan53 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:26 pm

I have had casual conversations with one of my neighbors about my coin collecting hobby. These days its best not to mention such things.

PS To the silver tiger......roll tide!
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby theo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:41 pm

We are in a precarious situation. Many of us may feel obligated to teach our friends and neighbors about honest money, however in doing that we may inadvertantly give away too much information about our own holdings and put ourselves at risk. This is particularly true for those who deal professionally with coins. I will make sure that my regular coin guy knows about this story.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby lance » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:55 pm

Yah this is a tragic situation.....all over money.....i just bought a big safe mostly for my metals...but i also plan on sticking a bennelli tactical shotgun in it for situations just like this...you can try and steal my [shucks]...but you will leave with multiple holes in your body.
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby OtusLotus » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:03 pm

I NEVER want to shy away from telling anyone what I am doing and why!... However, I always make sure that I always tell the person that you need to have a saftey deposit box, which is where I keep ALL of my valuables.
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:24 pm

OtusLotus wrote:However, I always make sure that I always tell the person that you need to have a saftey deposit box, which is where I keep ALL of my valuables.

Good answer. I tend to keep very little of my hoard in the house.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby No82s » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:45 pm

Yep, All mine in that safety deposit box :)
No82s
Penny Collector Member

Postby Silver Addict » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:55 pm

No82s wrote:Yep, All mine in that safety deposit box :)

That is the only way to go IMO. I only keep what is coming in or going out within the week at home, rest is at the bank.
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby theo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:13 pm

For those with large stashes I think private self storage should be considered. They are relatively secure and the owners won't be locked out during a bank holiday.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tedandcam » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:22 am

Silver Addict wrote:

That is the only way to go IMO. I only keep what is coming in or going out within the week at home, rest is at the bank.

+1 b ank safe deposit box is the way to go.When the owner of LCS pointed at my 15 yr old son and said " If they point a gun at his head you"ll open that thing in a heart beat. He##, you;ll even help them carry it out!"

I opened a box at my bank that day. I Love that Kid way too much.
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby OX6603 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:46 am

If you have something worth taking you need to be prepared to defend it. Sadly, the definition of "worth taking" is pretty open. People get killed for their shoes. Don't be a sheep among wolves, be a sheepdog.
OX6603

Postby slickeast » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:00 pm

These are things to consider IF i ever were to own any precious metals.

I keep mine at the local coin show. I just go there and look at the stuff from time to time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I pick it up, admire it, and hand it back to the curator.

......ahhhh news just in. I was informed that the stuff at the coin show IS NOT mine and they are not curators, they are coin dealers. Well that just shattered my dream.
Last edited by slickeast on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:03 pm

Silver Addict wrote:

yep......SDB are cheap and secure (I use the heck out of mine). Also if you have it..... use an off site location that has a safe and a sequrity system. ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby thesilvertiger » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:22 pm

dan53 wrote:PS To the silver tiger......roll tide!

Yeah, I hear ya yapping! :D
Just kidding! Both teams had equal talent, but you may have noticed a "bit" of a coaching disadvantage on our sidelines!!!!
thesilvertiger
Penny Sorter Member

Postby No82s » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:38 pm

WOW. I was being sarcastic and hope you guys are too!! The if the gov't ever goes after your PMs those supposedly safe SDB are the first place they'll go.
No82s
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:15 pm

No82s wrote:WOW. I was being sarcastic and hope you guys are too!! The if the gov't ever goes after your PMs those supposedly safe SDB are the first place they'll go.

Sarcasm? Not at all.

Who says you have to be truthful about where you keep anything valuable?

However. If you read FerFAL's blog, you will know that typical home invaders don't know and don't care the specifics of what you have of value. They will torture you until you come up with something for them to take, or until you die.

Speaking of the criminal mind; Do you think muggers have x-ray vision? They cannot know if you have any money or anything else of value. They also tend to hold their victims in great contempt and are very likely to kill, to get rid of the witness if nothing else.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby aloneibreak » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:34 pm

OX6603 wrote:If you have something worth taking you need to be prepared to defend it. Sadly, the definition of "worth taking" is pretty open. People get killed for their shoes. Don't be a sheep among wolves, be a sheepdog.

i dont have a whole lot to defend, but i carry at all times - even when relaxing in my recliner

some call it paranoid - i call it smart :)
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby njoElec » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:17 pm

What about burying your stash somewhere hidden in your yard? I know of some people who bury FOOD STORAGE in the ground in their backyard!
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Postby John_doe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:47 pm

this is the exact reason I sleep with a pistol next to my bed.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby coinwolf » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:58 pm

Tragic what happened! All this crime going around and the way the Gov. is being run kind of makes me happy that all my silver, gold and firearms were lost in the Atlantic ocean the other day while deep sea fishing at the Big Rock! Boat started taking on water and we had to throw every thing over board that had weight to it (always take my precious metals and firearms with me fishing (might meet a mermaid)! Barley made it back to harbor, so for all you divers there is a dump of precious metals and firearms east of the Big Rock.
coinwolf
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:15 pm

aloneibreak wrote:
OX6603 wrote:If you have something worth taking you need to be prepared to defend it. Sadly, the definition of "worth taking" is pretty open. People get killed for their shoes. Don't be a sheep among wolves, be a sheepdog.

i dont have a whole lot to defend, but i carry at all times - even when relaxing in my recliner

some call it paranoid - i call it smart :)

I'm the same way but...all someone has to do is snatch my precious boy playing in the street.

They will own may a$$. :cry:
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals