Rising silver prices....pro and con

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Rising silver prices....pro and con

Postby dan53 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:15 pm

I don't have a lot of silver but I do have some and its good to see the price rise result in more dollars in my pocket. But there is a flip side to the benefits of a price rise. Does anyone recall a rise in price that was the result of GOOD news? Take for instance this scenario....."News flash: Iran reverses its nuclear position and throws open its facilites to international inspections and vows not to do anything to impede the flow of oil throught the straits of Hormuz. The price of oil would tank and along with it the price of silver would decline substantially. Of course thats not likely to happen anytime soon. Sooner or later the Iran issue will come to a head, when it does the price of silver will skyrocket and the price of oil will follow along with it.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Rising silver prices....pro and con

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:07 pm

The fundamental reason for increase in dollar price of gold and silver has little to do with war or rumors thereof. It is because of money printing, pure and simple, and would occur regardless of war, when taken from the larger view. Of course the short term reactions in price can and will go up and down with emotions (and several other reasons).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby rexmerdinus » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:31 pm

68Camaro wrote: It is because of money printing, pure and simple, and would occur regardless of war, when taken from the larger view. Of course the short term reactions in price can and will go up and down with emotions (and several other reasons).

True, but if not for turmoil in the world (and we can talk all day about whether the unbridled printing of money is the cause or the result of world turmoil--probably a bit of both), the idea of protecting one's wealth and family through the hoarding of PM's or any other commodity wouldn't be coming up more and more around the proverbial watercooler. When there's no seriously bad news, more people are content to remain fat dumb and happy, and I can understand why--I used to say I'd gladly take Fat and Dumb if Happy came along for the ride!
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby fb101 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:59 pm

dan53 wrote:I don't have a lot of silver but I do have some and its good to see the price rise result in more dollars in my pocket. But there is a flip side to the benefits of a price rise. Does anyone recall a rise in price that was the result of GOOD news? Take for instance this scenario....."News flash: Iran reverses its nuclear position and throws open its facilites to international inspections and vows not to do anything to impede the flow of oil throught the straits of Hormuz. The price of oil would tank and along with it the price of silver would decline substantially. Of course thats not likely to happen anytime soon. Sooner or later the Iran issue will come to a head, when it does the price of silver will skyrocket and the price of oil will follow along with it.

If your point was it's a drag that it takes some bad things or others to make silver rise, you're on the money.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby halfhunter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:02 am

dan53 wrote:I don't have a lot of silver but I do have some and its good to see the price rise result in more dollars in my pocket. But there is a flip side to the benefits of a price rise. Does anyone recall a rise in price that was the result of GOOD news? Take for instance this scenario....."News flash: Iran reverses its nuclear position and throws open its facilites to international inspections and vows not to do anything to impede the flow of oil throught the straits of Hormuz. The price of oil would tank and along with it the price of silver would decline substantially. Of course thats not likely to happen anytime soon. Sooner or later the Iran issue will come to a head, when it does the price of silver will skyrocket and the price of oil will follow along with it.

While this is true, most commodities and especially silver, are at the mercy and whims of the paper traders.
I mean there were no earth shattering events that caused this: :x

HH
halfhunter
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals