Can You Melt Wheat Cents?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Can You Melt Wheat Cents?

Postby Robarons » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:53 am

I am not sure if I remember reading this, but can anyone remember if the melt ban only Applies to 1959-Current Cents or to all cents?
I think I read something like you cannot, but that was back in 2007 at the old forum.

Had some crazy guy rambling about melting wheats because its a 'design change' and hence does not apply to melting. Sounds wrong, but hey he might be right. He proceeded to say melting Buffalo Nickels is okay too. I guess if copper goes to $8/pound and the Govt refuses to lift said ban than wheats loop hole might be attractive.

Thoughts?
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Re: Can You Melt Wheat Cents?

Postby slickeast » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:13 am

http://www.usmint.gov/consumer/index.cf ... Regulation

Download the pdf from the link at the bottom of the page.

Any US made penny is illegal to melt
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Robarons » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:19 am

Alright thanks for clearing that up. With so much misinformation out there it made me question my knowledge.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:16 am

Plus common wheats are worth more to collectors then melt.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Robarons » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:26 am

That is true, but if some reason goes to $8/pound or some crazy amount and the govt still refused to lift the ban it would be worthwhile to do so.

But you cant it seems anyways. Its kinda like melting 1938 and 1939 King George Nickels- dont wanna do it but the melt for a while surpassed its collect-ability.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:35 am

Robarons wrote:I am not sure if I remember reading this, but can anyone remember if the melt ban only Applies to 1959-Current Cents or to all cents?
I think I read something like you cannot, but that was back in 2007 at the old forum.

Had some crazy guy rambling about melting wheats because its a 'design change' and hence does not apply to melting. Sounds wrong, but hey he might be right. He proceeded to say melting Buffalo Nickels is okay too. I guess if copper goes to $8/pound and the Govt refuses to lift said ban than wheats loop hole might be attractive.

Thoughts?

It'll cut down those "OMGINDIAN/1909 VDB LINCOLN ON ENDZ" auction on eBay......melt down the common stuff abit.....
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Robarons » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:47 am

Might have an interesting effect- when the melts do occur and at prices to overtake wheats (3-4 cents for the common ones) you may see certain dates rise in value over time, kinda like the 90% silver melts.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby HPMBTT » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:10 pm

I would imagine that the price of wheat cents would intentionally go over the melt price. I just can't see any coin shops or dealers sending in their wheat cents to be melted. It would be a shame if they did. A dealer wouldn't send it in, but I could see a dumb, uneducated customer sending in their better-date wheat cents to the scrap yard. That would be a sad day.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jacer333 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:11 pm

cesariojpn wrote:
Robarons wrote:I am not sure if I remember reading this, but can anyone remember if the melt ban only Applies to 1959-Current Cents or to all cents?

Thoughts?

It'll cut down those "OMGINDIAN/1909 VDB LINCOLN ON ENDZ" auction on eBay......melt down the common stuff abit.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:15 pm

Can you? .. Yes
Should you? .. No
Is it legal? .. No :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing