over 36 a ounce!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

over 36 a ounce!

Postby lance » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:47 am

Cha ching!
lance
Penny Collector Member

Re: over 36 a ounce!

Postby beauanderos » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:55 am

We've repeatedly seen the price pulled down... far too many times, after a nice run-up... to get excited anymore. That said, if silver remains in an uptrend beyond tomorrow, then things could get interesting. It is expected that da boyz will enter the market and intervene to crush prices either today or tomorrow, so as to shake loose those determined to take March delivery on COMEX. If they don't, or buyers prevail, you could see a very nice surge on Thursday.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:57 am

Watch what happens in the next five or ten minutes to get an idea of when they will make their move.
beauanderos

Postby Cu Later » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:13 am

y r "they" expected today or tomorrow? details please.
Cu Later
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Later » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:18 am

political news, graphs/numbers, or both?
Cu Later
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:22 am

beauanderos wrote: It is expected that da boyz will enter the market and intervene to crush prices either today or tomorrow, so as to shake loose those determined to take March delivery on COMEX. If they don't, or buyers prevail, you could see a very nice surge on Thursday.

Either one is fine with me! I'm still a buyer when I've got the FRN's, so the lower the price the better in my book. Then again, I've got a baby due in May, so I'm probably not a buyer of much for a while! And a nice run-up might prove to my wife that I'm not completely crazy. Just mostly.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby nero12345 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:34 am

Jesh $36.37. I bought as much as I could at $29 but it never seems enough on the upswing, and too much on the downward plunge LOL. Keep stackin boys the rides getting good.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:57 am

I briefly commented on this in my market thread. I believe this is the real deal. The shorts are shorting like crazy, and there is someone (a Mr. Big) out there that is blowing them off. I've got the short positions as a function of week for this year (on another computer) and the shorts have been ramping up every week, trying to control, and the price is still going up no matter what they do.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Delawhere Jack » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:31 am

The European Central Bank just began excepting bids from member banks thoughout Europe for an LTRO, (long term repurchase option). Essentially what this means is that banks can sell offload assets to the CB for a three year period. The banks will onload a lot of junk for freshly minted cash at a very low rate. No official word on the size of this monetization, but estimates are in the 400-500 Billion Euro range.

Short story, more money printing.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:38 am

3.5% move in silver so far, vs less than 1% in gold. GSR is dropping hard.

Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:08 pm

Oh oh.... just touched 37. This is too fast! There's gonna be too much attention at this rate! I would much prefer it go up about a dollar a week, so it looks more "steady" or "healthy." I'm not a market analyst by any means, but that just seems like... too much too soon.

...Although I do feel better about the 1oz Canadian Silver Maple I bought yesterday for $38. That premium is getting eaten up quickly today.
uthminsta

Postby AlexTG » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:34 pm

uthminsta wrote:Oh oh.... just touched 37. This is too fast! There's gonna be too much attention at this rate! I would much prefer it go up about a dollar a week, so it looks more "steady" or "healthy." I'm not a market analyst by any means, but that just seems like... too much too soon.

...Although I do feel better about the 1oz Canadian Silver Maple I bought yesterday for $38. That premium is getting eaten up quickly today.

I agree, this is to fast and will be cause for a pull back at some point. However don't worry about the attention. Turned on CNBC, and looked through Yahoo. Can't find any news about Silver, it's all about the amazing run that Apple has bad since the first of January, up over 33%. Strange, silver has done the same thing... and today has gone up even more. I wonder if they just don't want to talk about non-paper assets.
AlexTG
Penny Pincher Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:39 pm

Paper's the future!!! :roll:
uthminsta

Postby beauanderos » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:00 pm

This is one occasion when I'm delighted to be wrong (for the moment). Happy Birthday to me!! :lol:

This is turning into being a short-covering rally. If they throw in the towel (shorts capitulate) don't be surprised to see $38 today. I still think we're going to see some desperation moves on their part, maybe reinstatement of that recently revoked margin by CME... but it sure is fun to watch :mrgreen:
beauanderos

Postby slvrbck » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:27 pm

You always here about the margin hikes but when they pull them back down I always miss the news. Where do u guys stay up to date on this stuff?
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby lance » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:37 pm

How does the government manipulate the actual price of silver? In terms of going in and regulating the price? Im new to this and just dont see how its legal or why they do thay?
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby Neckro » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:41 pm

lance wrote:How does the government manipulate the actual price of silver? In terms of going in and regulating the price? Im new to this and just dont see how its legal or why they do thay?

Cute, you put legal and government together, Haha. You should know they are above the law.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby lance » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:43 pm

Neckro wrote:
lance wrote:How does the government manipulate the actual price of silver? In terms of going in and regulating the price? Im new to this and just dont see how its legal or why they do thay?

Cute, you put legal and government together, Haha. You should know they are above the law.

Truth...but im still looking for a solid explanation
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby slickeast » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:46 pm

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby aloneibreak » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:55 pm

rexmerdinus wrote:Either one is fine with me! I'm still a buyer when I've got the FRN's, so the lower the price the better in my book. Then again, I've got a baby due in May, so I'm probably not a buyer of much for a while! And a nice run-up might prove to my wife that I'm not completely crazy. Just mostly.

i hear ya

ive got a baby due in 5 weeks and tax time is right around the corner as well

im gonna have to take some profits here shortly - i'm putting it off as long as possible - i see no reason for a big drop - only increases
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Chief » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:19 pm

$37, wow!
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Ignoring the legality of it, without a lot of concrete proof, and despite doubters of this, there are many that believe that major financial institutions are acting on behalf of and/or with the blessing and/or encouragement of the Federal Reserve by shorting precious metals that are in danger of competing with fiat paper money - this to keep the price lower than it might otherwise be, slowing down the train, helping to kick the financial ruin can down the road a bit longer while they juggle every larger balls in the air (to mix metaphors). These institutions are associated with or arms of the banks that are members of the Fed. They effectively are funded by the Fed, so there is a sense in which they have very deep pockets since the Fed can just "print" money with the flick of a digit in a spreadsheet. With no real sense of "loss" in the market (since the Fed can just print more) they can affect the price by the way the offer futures contracts - which is on physical product that they don't have, but they don't care that they don't have it. Many times they don't lose at all, and they can even profit from it - but if they get caught out in a storm there isn't necessarily a real loss to them - just a need to cover-up the paper loss somehow on the books, and sometimes to strong-arm people into accepting cash profit in lieu of delivery of physical product. There are many discussions on this topic both here and elsewhere.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby nero12345 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:43 pm

lance wrote:
Neckro wrote:

Truth...but im still looking for a solid explanation

hard to find these days. i believe 68camaro taps on a bit of whats going on for sure, but he's right, proof is a hard thing to find in a very corrupt system.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby Nacinator » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:13 pm

:mrgreen: $36.96 an OZ per Kitco :mrgreen:

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nacinator
Penny Sorter Member

Postby kidman232 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:43 pm

look at the roaches run
never enough silver