Half Bags or Boxes???

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Half Bags or Boxes???

Postby BamaJoe » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:24 pm

Ok folks, got a question for those that have sorted both half bags and boxes.

The little island girl called me earlier and told me that when Loomis delivered the shipment today my halves came in $1000 bags for the first times since I started 790 boxes ago. I've gotta admit that I'm curious about the why's and wherefore's of the change. Maybe this is something they are permanently going to or maybe the demand for halves have jumped and they are not going to roll and box them anymore? Anyway, the kids are going to pick them after school and I'm going to have 6 bags waiting for me at home tonight.

So the question for you folks that have sorted both is: Which would you generally say is better as far as results?
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Half Bags or Boxes???

Postby db23 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Are they rolled or loose in the bags? My brother gets $500 bags of rolled halves and has gotten some decent scores. Good luck!
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BamaJoe » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:41 pm

db23 wrote:Are they rolled or loose in the bags? My brother gets $500 bags of rolled halves and has gotten some decent scores. Good luck!

Just $1000 in loose halves.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:56 pm

If they are truly loose...then maybe off the coin counter, if loose rolled in bags then maybe they ran out of boxes...either way can be good....I hit the jackpot on boxes and also on bags and then bust both ways also...just have to get 'em and search 'em. GOOD LUCK.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:25 pm

I ahve had better luck with bags. However, they have come off of a counter in a small town, not from Brinks.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby PADFH » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:52 am

Let us know what you find!
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Postby BamaJoe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:54 am

First bag contained 6 40%. The bag said they were from "Max" whatever that is and to the Fed.

BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby knibloe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:29 am

the bags I get are picked up from one bank by Loomis and have "to fed via chase on them" My guess is that if did not buy them, they would never make it to Loomis or the fed.

Maybe yours are coming straight from some counter like mine. Was there any non coin junk in the bag?
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:15 am

Boxes up here really stink for me. More skunks than anything. The very few bags that I have been able to acquire (off of lobby counters) have been MUCH better.

From the tracking threads, I see that you sort a TON of boxes. They are probably sick of re-rolling your stuff and now they are just sending you back your loose bags :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I am curious to see how it works out for you compared to the boxes. The mystery of where the coins go and what happens to them is very intriguing to me.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby BamaJoe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:24 pm

Well the 6 bags are sorted. 3 were from banks or credit unions in the state, 3 were from a place called "Max" - what that is I have no idea, I don't know of any bank or credit union in the area with Max in the name.

The first bag showed some promise with 6 40% - sad to say they were just teasing me.
The second dropped to 1 40% and the last 4 were skunks.

I have say my first experience with bags didn't leave me wanting more.

BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JobIII » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:43 pm

I've tried bags and found I don't like them. For anyone one here that has had no trouble with bags I am very jealous. That being said I've fallen into a pretty long streak of skunks. Skunks without silver, skunks without proofs, skunks without 1987s. I'm starting to feel like I've dried up the area with the current wrapping company. Nothing worse then spending hours of your time with nothing to show but wasted time and gas.

Bama i may not be amazing, but I'd take anything over nothing :)
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:21 pm

In my area... The guys at the depot are pulling for themselves.. I found this out on Saturday talking to the Cummins repair guy... I hit very good last year and now 0.... Guess I will order from out of town/state and flood my area with junk this year.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:39 pm

Was there ever a thread that lists all the key dates for Ag halves? Why would you keep '87s?
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby BlackOut » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:20 am

87's are NIFC (not intended for circulation) like 2002 and up. Some folks keep them...
BlackOut
Penny Collector Member

Postby tractorman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:22 am

Yeah, they're not Ag, just NIFC.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JobIII » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:35 pm

Some people like CNC and DB may not have to bother themselves with the scraps. But for anyone who doesn't find loads of AG, NIFC and proofs are a nice way to reduce the frustration of getting skunked.

1987 is a low mint year. P D & S mintages comes to around 10 million total far less then any other pre-1992 year.

Though they don't carry a real premium at this point.

~JobIII
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals