Valcambi CombiBars

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Valcambi CombiBars

Postby Z00 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:01 pm

The silver CombiBar was supposed to be released last year. I have not seen it surface yet.
I have a question for the gram size producers.
I know you folks are pouring your little bars. The CombiBar is apparently stamped and the die must be very precise to get a divisible 50 gram bar.
Is there any way you folks could devise something similar to this making a 25, 50 or 100 gram divisible bar that can be snapped apart by hand with 1 gram accuracy?

Here is a link to the details of the 50g gold bar.
https://www.valcambigold.com/store/combibars.aspx?i3

combibar5.jpg
combibar5.jpg (18.34 KiB) Viewed 584 times
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Valcambi CombiBars

Postby barrytrot » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:32 pm

A very cool bar. I'm going to get one :)
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Z00 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:53 pm

Let us know what shipping costs.
Must be a killer. I wish someone in the US would produce a silver one.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:08 pm

$60 shipping. They only allow payment via bank wire though, so I will have to wait until I have time for that.
barrytrot

Postby Z00 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:31 pm

Does that 60.00 include all the other stuff listed in the cart?
Handling fee, Insurance fee

Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:35 pm

I don't know. That was the only listed thing I noticed.
barrytrot

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:36 pm

I would buy a bar like that from Market Harmony ... or some other minter on RealCent.

When will one of you guys have them ready?
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:42 pm

I really think a US producer would have a winner on his hands with a 50 gram snap apart silver bar. Especially in the shaky financial scenarios around now.

Maybe MH should spend his 944.00 on a die to stamp them out.

Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jesse1111 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:36 pm

Cool and useful at the same time.
An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.
jesse1111
Penny Pincher Member

Postby twentybux » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:40 pm

Very cool, indeed.
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby woodyh » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:41 pm

nice :)
i want 2 if someone here makes them in silver ;)
life is like a box of pennys , you never know what your gonna get
woodyh
Penny Collector Member

Postby Z00 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:45 pm

woodyh wrote:nice :)
i want 2 if someone here makes them in silver ;)

Take 10 they're small :lol:

I think the US version s/b called SnapiBars

Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:05 pm

In silver, I'd rather have 5 or 10 gram bits to snap off.

How about making them look like a large Hershey's chocolate bar?

Heck, make it easy on Market Harmony, just use a big chocolate bar as a pattern for the mold to pour in the silver, and then see how much the bits weigh... lol
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:14 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:In silver, I'd rather have 5 or 10 gram bits to snap off.

Heck, make it easy on Market Harmony, just use a big chocolate bar as a pattern for the mold to pour in the silver, and then see how much the bits weigh... lol

Your not thinking down the road far enough to when it will take 1 gram of silver to BUY a chocolate bar.

Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Z00 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:40 pm

highroller4321 wrote:Sub-Total: $2,876.61 (USD)
Tax (VAT): $0.00 (USD)
Shipping: $60.00 (USD)
Insurance Fee: $11.51 (USD)
Handling Fee: $30.00 (USD)
Total: $2,978.12 (USD

So it costs just under 60 a gram. Think it is worth it?

Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Delawhere Jack » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Z00 wrote:

Your not thinking down the road far enough to when it will take 1 gram of silver to BUY a chocolate bar.

Last time I saw the price of a full size Snickers bar it was $1.29. Silver is currently less than that at $1.06/g.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:50 pm

Delawhere Jack wrote:
Z00 wrote:

Last time I saw the price of a full size Snickers bar it was $1.29. Silver is currently less than that at $1.06/g.

Good point. But I would want 1 gram bars plus a little copper rather than expecting change from a 5 gram bar :D

As the cashier says: That'll be 1 snapi and 11 coppers sir.

Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby merchoarder » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:15 pm

Check out Kurr's new stuff in the auction forum. Similar, he does nice work.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Z00 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:23 pm

merchoarder wrote:Check out Kurr's new stuff in the auction forum. Similar, he does nice work.

Yes, nice work, but the idea is to lower production cost by not having to hand pour and hand stamp every 1 gram.
With a die press you get a 50 gram bar that snaps apart into 1 gram units with 1 strike.

Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:48 pm

Z00 wrote:
merchoarder wrote:Check out Kurr's new stuff in the auction forum. Similar, he does nice work.

Yes, nice work, but the idea is to lower production cost by not having to hand pour and hand stamp every 1 gram.
With a die press you get a 50 gram bar that snaps apart into 1 gram units with 1 strike.

No 1 gram bars are poured, at least not directly. Rough poured bars are rolled into smooth sheets of a precise thickness, then the bars are stamped out of those sheets.
natsb88

Postby Z00 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:09 pm

natsb88 wrote:No 1 gram bars are poured, at least not directly. Rough poured bars are rolled into smooth sheets of a precise thickness, then the bars are stamped out of those sheets.

I stand corrected. Are the hand "punched" out of those sheets?

Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:24 pm

Z00 wrote:
natsb88 wrote:No 1 gram bars are poured, at least not directly. Rough poured bars are rolled into smooth sheets of a precise thickness, then the bars are stamped out of those sheets.

I stand corrected. Are the hand "punched" out of those sheets?

Most likely they're stamped out of the sheet stock in a mechanical press. Hand punching wouldn't work for something that big.

One problem I see with this design is the ease with which you could shave the edges of the grams. To prevent that, you'd need to make a pattern along the break lines (like the fluted edges on US coins)
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Engineer wrote:Most likely they're stamped out of the sheet stock in a mechanical press. Hand punching wouldn't work for something that big.

One problem I see with this design is the ease with which you could shave the edges of the grams. To prevent that, you'd need to make a pattern along the break lines (like the fluted edges on US coins)

Not having seen one we can only guess that they have addressed that possibility.
Go ahead and order one so we can analyse it will ya? :mrgreen: :o

Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:03 pm

natsb88 wrote:
Z00 wrote:No 1 gram bars are poured, at least not directly. Rough poured bars are rolled into smooth sheets of a precise thickness, then the bars are stamped out of those sheets.

It wouldn't be very hard to incorporate the breaks into the rolling process. You could probably do the logos too.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:49 pm

These guys must be rolling these out and punching out the discs after rolling.

Picture 001.jpg
Picture 001.jpg (46.83 KiB) Viewed 390 times

Picture 002.jpg
Picture 002.jpg (54.83 KiB) Viewed 390 times

Picture 003.jpg
Picture 003.jpg (49.06 KiB) Viewed 384 times

Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals