Weird shaped box of halves

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Weird shaped box of halves

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:59 pm

I went to one of my regular pick up banks and picked up $2500 in halves. Usually the boxes are square and have there are 2 stacks of halves on top of each other. Today, one of the boxes was one level rectangular and had holes in the top so you could see the halves. The wrappers were yellow and white.

The teller said she had never seen a box like that before and neither had I.

Is it strange to get a different type of box from the same bank?

It was a nice box I found 22 40% halves.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Weird shaped box of halves

Postby beauanderos » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:24 pm

Sounds like it could have been an old style box. Nice score tho :o
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Computer Jones » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:32 pm

The bank switched their supplier, brown squarish boxes with brown wrappers are from Brinks, flat rectangular boxes with yellow wrappers are from String & Son.
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Roadrunner » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:39 pm

I've had some of those NF String yellow and white wrappers...and been skunked on a few hundred $$$. :evil:
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:47 pm

How could the bank switch suppliers if I got 4 square boxes and 1 flat rectangular box? Wouldnt they have been all flat if they switched?

Guess I don't understand the distribution system. Do they store boxes and maybe the flat box was stored somewhere for a while and it just ended up being sent out now?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:07 am

Not sure but sometimes with pennies, ill get the clear roll boxes and in the same order there will be the peek a boo boxes too.
TXBullion

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:08 am

Guess what kind of paper is loaded up on the WS-21 right now. Gonna take a few rolls to Wally World tonight and do a little shopping. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby zerocd » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:41 am

Every Bank around here has rectangular boxes. Never have seen a square box after zillions of boxes.

0CD
zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:22 am

zerocd wrote:Every Bank around here has rectangular boxes. Never have seen a square box after zillions of boxes.

0CD

Same here that's all I have ever picked up around here no matter which bank I go to is the rectangle boxes. I have never seen a square box.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby UDEric » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:37 am

Most of the banks in my area have the flat rectangular boxes. Citibank and Capital One however seem to have the square (2 tier) boxes. Overall I'd say I've had more success with the square ones, but really I think it's all a crapshoot.

One bank that we have been picking up 2 boxes a week from for a few months (always square boxes) the other day gave out 2 rectangle boxes. The lady said "thats what came today...I'm not sure why"

The more I play this game the more I learn the only rule to live by is "The more you sort, the more you find"
"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon and the truth"

"No army can stop an idea whose time has come"
UDEric
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasteddy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:07 am

My pickup bank supplies me with both kinds of half boxes and three different pennie boxes...never know what I am getting until they bring'em out....I am with...

UDEric wrote:"The more you sort, the more you find"
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby fb101 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:30 am

Where I am I gave up on the one bank that had the square boxes; I prefer the rectangles.
fb101

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:36 am

PS, those are Loomis boxes around here.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals