25% Below Spot ??

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

25% Below Spot ??

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Who here would willingly sell their silver at 25% below melt/spot? I'm not looking to buy, just asking.

I'm also curious how this conversation might go.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: 25% Below Spot ??

Postby barrytrot » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:27 pm

possibly my war nickels, those things tend to get a huge negative premium.

Definitely nothing else.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OtusLotus » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:30 pm

If it was an agreement between a buyer and seller in an auction, then I would hold up my end of the bargain...

Because I have integrity!!!

So, if you auction something off, there is a risk/reward. you risk selling below value, your reward is to sell about market value... or you have a straight up sale.. these items for this price!

If you have sex with a girl and don't use protection... you can't start whining and crying that life is not fair when you realize that the girl is pregnant!

If you don't want to play by the rules... THEN DON'T PLAY!!!
Last edited by OtusLotus on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby justj2k78 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:37 pm

Nay.
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:40 pm

10% pesos all day long.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:43 pm

Seems like the consensus is that nobody who knows about the value of what they have would sell 90%, or 40% for that matter, for only 75% of spot.

What a surprise!
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby tractorman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:43 pm

An auction without a reserve is a deal at the hammer.
Last edited by tractorman on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:38 am

I just sold some for 20% below spot, because that's where my auction ended, and a deal is a deal. I'm not going to back out just because it sold lower than I hoped.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=12857
natsb88

Postby tractorman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:46 am

Last edited by tractorman on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:35 am

natsb88 wrote:I just sold some for 20% below spot, because that's where my auction ended, and a deal is a deal. I'm not going to back out just because it sold lower than I hoped.

I had a KSA with some lower purity stuff end for 30% below melt and I sold them to the winnig bidder even though I thought they would go for more
TXBullion

Postby nero12345 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:38 am

natsb88 wrote:I just sold some for 20% below spot, because that's where my auction ended, and a deal is a deal. I'm not going to back out just because it sold lower than I hoped.

Yeah what was up with this. The ad was clear at 4.5 ounces. I was just following suit with my bids but no one was bidding up till the last second. Someone got a hell of a deal

I buy locally and pay 25% of spot for Canadian and some US silver. Truth is I give the best price around, so many have told me, on junk silver. Some weeks I'll pick up $200 face value in silver, other weeks just odds and ends. I wouldn't sell at much more than a few % off spot though. Although I did on nickel a few times.
If silver goes parabolic and hits say $70 an ounce there will be a lot of people selling. But the price might be to high for most to buy so you may start seeing a discount just to move some of it. Possible I guess. My 2 cents.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:41 am

nero12345 wrote:

Yeah what was up with this. The ad was clear at 4.5 ounces. I was just following suit with my bids but no one was bidding up till the last second. Someone got a hell of a deal

I buy locally and pay 25% of spot for Canadian and some US silver. Truth is I give the best price around, so many have told me, on junk silver. Some weeks I'll pick up $200 face value in silver, other weeks just odds and ends. I wouldn't sell at much more than a few % off spot though. Although I did on nickel a few times.
If silver goes parabolic and hits say $70 an ounce there will be a lot of people selling. But the price might be to high for most to buy so you may start seeing a discount just to move some of it. Possible I guess. My 2 cents.

I noticed the price of this one but I just don't have a need for 1.5 ounce coins. They don't fit in any of my stacks.

That's the reason for the low-balling on that one. I bet a lot of people just don't buy 1.5 ounce coins. (Rounds)
barrytrot

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:08 am

+1 to that! I sold some war nicks last KSA from UNDER apmex buy prices. :shock:

That is all part of the risk you take when you run an auction. Like Nate said a DEAL IS A DEAL and the only honorable thing to do is ship your item, learn a lesson, and go to the next thing.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby JobIII » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:37 am

I sold a lot of 90% here a little while back for somewhere around 21x and it jumped to >25x before I received payment. Not quite 25% under spot. Happy to say the coins were from roll searching so I still made quite a profit.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby Nickelmeister » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:09 am

IdahoCopper wrote:Who here would willingly sell their silver at 25% below melt/spot? I'm not looking to buy, just asking.

I'm also curious how this conversation might go.

As a bullion dealer, I would sell silver at 25% below spot if I had locked-in a deal with someone and then spot moved that much against me before I fulfilled the order.
In this business, your reputation is your single most valuable asset. If I understand the back-story to this thread correctly, you may be in danger of severely depreciating yours.
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:13 am

Nickelmeister wrote:As a bullion dealer, I would sell silver at 25% below spot if I had locked-in a deal with someone and then spot moved that much against me before I fulfilled the order.

I consider the spot price to be what it was when the deal is agreed to by both parties; not what it is the the day the money is received or the product is sent.

A deal that is agreed to by both parties, is a deal. That deal's value is calculated at that agreement time, and not upon data that is only known at a later time.

That is what happens when cash is exchanged in person for coin..... why calculate it differently because of mail delay?
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Nickelmeister » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:30 am

IdahoCopper wrote:
Nickelmeister wrote:As a bullion dealer, I would sell silver at 25% below spot if I had locked-in a deal with someone and then spot moved that much against me before I fulfilled the order.

I consider the spot price to be what it was when the deal is agreed to by both parties; not what it is the the day the money is received or the product is sent.

A deal that is agreed to by both parties, is a deal. That deal's value is calculated at that agreement time, and not upon data that is only known at a later time.

That is what happens when cash is exchanged in person for coin..... why calculate it differently because of mail delay?

Let me flesh out the example I am thinking of, because this actually happened to me recently. A friend of mine (who is also a metals dealer) received a request from a customer for approximately $95K worth of bullion. He didn't have the proper inventory on hand and asked if I would supply him the coins. We locked in a price on FEB 28th at the close of business. As you may recall, FEB 29th was the day gold went down almost a hundred bucks and silver crashed an even greater amount pecentage wise. Because the deal was being brokered through my colleague, I did not receive a deposit (which is my standard protocol for an order of this magnitude) and the buyer did a very dishonourable thing and BACKED OUT of the deal. Now, from his perspective, he was probably thinking "why pay $95,000 for metal that is now worth less than $87K?" Well, from my perspective, being on the other side of the deal I actually LOST that $8,000 because has it not been for this order I would have sold an equivalent amount from my metal pool on account with my refinery to lock in the price and balance my position that day. Now I could have insisted that my friend cough up the difference, but I don't want to sour that otherwise positive business relationship.

The purchasers disgraceful conduct, to not stand by his word on a deal, cost me a sizeable amount of money. I have told dealers all around town and the dude is basically black-listed. This is not tolerated.
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tractorman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:33 am

Last edited by tractorman on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Nearly everything has a price. One exception is someone's reputation... Actions taken by someone that become detrimental to their own reputation is a reflection of poor opportunity cost analysis
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby H2SO4 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:54 pm

to be honest I was shocked i got them at that price! I really just wanted them because they said colorado on them! :oops: :)

nero12345 wrote:

Yeah what was up with this. The ad was clear at 4.5 ounces. I was just following suit with my bids but no one was bidding up till the last second. Someone got a hell of a deal.
H2SO4
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:09 pm

Market Harmony wrote:Nearly everything has a price. One exception is someone's reputation... Actions taken by someone that become detrimental to their own reputation is a reflection of poor opportunity cost analysis

Poetically true......Nice work wordsmith.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Hades12 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:43 pm

If i had to have cash in a hurry I could see having to go that low. Local to a pawn or other shop to get cash the same minute. But I hope I am fluid enough to not have to do that.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby daviscfad » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:33 pm

I dont run auctions for this very reason of the risk. If something sells For less than i want it to it is my own fault. I actually bought some gold from someone and the same day mark said the gold dropped 100 an oz also got me. I had not paid the guy yet b.c i had to get the cash but we locked in a verbal agreement of what i would pay. So even though an hour after i bought gold dropped so much I still paid what i said i would pay an ounce even though it dropped. If you want to be reputable then dont do shady things
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CU Baker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:57 pm

I just bought the silver merc dime earings and necklace for twenty seven bucks, six times or more over what the silver is worth. Some times you over pay to make someone smile. Then again I sold some stuff on the auction and it made me fell better to put it in a small flat rate box and eat the freight as to have it get beat up in an evelope. I guess the entertainment value of the KSA off sets some of the bone head sales I make sometime, the banter and the laughs are pricless sometimes. :lol:
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:40 pm

You win some...you lose some....!

I've found a killer deal or two on ebay and other places...but then again I'm auctioned, here, some foreign silver and took a hit. If you're real lucky...the good deals with blow away the bad deals. Stuff happens! :D
TheJonasCollegeFund

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals