Gold spot dip

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Gold spot dip

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:43 pm

barrytrot wrote:I loaded up on some more options today and yesterday (I always strike a little too quickly).

The option premiums are nice and big again so unless silver stays at $25/ounce forever I'm going to profit nicely :)

And I still stand by the statement I made about a year ago now: We will NEVER see under $25 silver again.

options on futures or options on equities? if latter, what month and what issuer?
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby nero12345 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:53 pm

OtusLotus wrote:The bottom line is all about perception!

for silver to go from 32.82 to 42.82 is exactly the same... 30%... of gold going from 1652 to 2152.

for nickel to go from 10 to 14, it has to gain 40%!

bottom line is that you do what you think is right!

The only difference is silver has been at $42 and gold has never been at $2152 and nickel has been much higher than $14.
I do agree though, gut feelings on this stuff is the best way to go.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby justj2k78 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:00 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:
barrytrot wrote:I loaded up on some more options today and yesterday (I always strike a little too quickly).

The option premiums are nice and big again so unless silver stays at $25/ounce forever I'm going to profit nicely :)

And I still stand by the statement I made about a year ago now: We will NEVER see under $25 silver again.

options on futures or options on equities? if latter, what month and what issuer?

Man, sometimes I think I know silver, and then someone says something like that, and I don't understand one word. Option? Remember Tommy Frazier in Nebraska... freakin unstoppable.
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:42 am

well, you can buy an option to purchase a futures contract to buy silver in the future. it has a lot of upside leverage but a fixed downside. safer but a bit more expensive.

or you can buy an option to buy a stock. basically you are buying the upside potential, but they have a finite duration and the longer duration the more expensive they are. for example, you could maybe buy Silver Wheaton for $33 for 1 share, 33 options to buy at $35 within a month for $1 each, or six options to buy at $35 within a year. Those aren't actual prices, just approximates to illustrate.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:49 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:

options on equities.

They might be fake (even more so) but thus far they have been a liquid and easily accessible tool to track the price of silver.

I prefer SIVR as the price equates to the actual price of silver unlike SLV and others which match the performance but aren't dollar-for-dollar.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:53 am

I understand the concepts, but - while I don't (and don't expect I ever will) play in the options/futures market - for my own edification (this may be a stupid question, but it has been a mental itch that I can now get scratched) where does one actually find the prices of futures options on a given item?

Lemon Thrower wrote:well, you can buy an option to purchase a futures contract to buy silver in the future. it has a lot of upside leverage but a fixed downside. safer but a bit more expensive.

or you can buy an option to buy a stock. basically you are buying the upside potential, but they have a finite duration and the longer duration the more expensive they are. for example, you could maybe buy Silver Wheaton for $33 for 1 share, 33 options to buy at $35 within a month for $1 each, or six options to buy at $35 within a year. Those aren't actual prices, just approximates to illustrate.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby barrytrot » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:00 am

68: if you are referring to archival data you probably need to buy that. If you are referring to "real time" data that's easily found with a proper Google search.
barrytrot

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:07 am

slickeast wrote:Or pic out one of these that this woman is proud to display

Guys, it is clearly labeled that those toys are no fun. Who want's an ice cold one unless it's root beer?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby ZenOps » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:14 am

Nickel was $7.70 a pound back in 1970. Its exceeded that lately, but the peak was $23/pound five years ago on the LME default.

Most of the LME stock of nickel comes from one mine in Canada (where we were the worlds largest producer for many decades) the other main mine in Norilsk Russia, combined used to supply the world with much more than half of the worlds supply.

We no longer have enough pure nickel to use for a 7 gram $1 and $2 coin in Canada. Take it as a hint people, unlike gold or silver which have relatively stable year over year in ground reserves, nickel production is falling off the cliff. The *only* reason the US can afford 1.25 grams of nickel for a US nickel is because we are basically giving it away (much like the $1Billion worth of free softwood lumber we gave the US a few years ago) That and the US can still produce a 5 cent nickel for 11.12 cents (a production loss is not a big deal, when you can simply print more money to cover it)

Nickel is about 11x rarer than copper, if you use copper as a monetary base - which the US does not (You guys have proven you absolutely hate the 8 billion 8.1 gram Susan B Anthony, Sacagawea, and Presidential dollars)

Realistically though. An 8-gram pure nickel coin in 2011 should probably be a denomination of $5 US. The 2€ coin contains about 3 grams of nickel.

"I like nickels" Kyle Bass.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby bankmining » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:17 am

slickeast wrote:Or pic out one of these that this woman is proud to display

I think I know where she stands on the inflation/deflation argument :shock:
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CU Baker » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:27 pm

For some reason I was thinking about Tonka truck all night at work. :oops:
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:25 pm

CU Baker wrote:For some reason I was thinking about Tonka truck all night at work. :oops:

Well, either you work at Toys R' Us or you're a doorman/bouncer at Joey's Jigglers
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals