I found a small time capsule!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I found a small time capsule!

Postby Dano » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:51 am

Where i work was scrapping a couple of coin operated vending machines from the ladies bathrooms (that's all i'll say about what they used to vend from them!) Since they were nickel and dime vending machines, and from the looks of them, i knew they were old. The nickel machine just had 2 dimes and a nickel from the 90's, but the dime machine was a like opening up a time capsule from the late sixties.

There were 23 dimes in the cash box:
1 1969
1 1968
7 1967
7 1966
4 1965
1 1962
1 1951
1 1968 50% silver canadian

I figure that this was last used in early 1969, and it gives a good estimate as to what percentage of silver coins were left in circulation back then. And even back then, people were trying to pass off their canadian coins wherever possible!
It was cool to see virtually uncirculated 1965-1969 dimes, since what i usually find are well worn ones nowadays. Just glad to find free silver!
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves."
Dano
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: I found a small time capsule!

Postby Saabman » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:55 am

Nice score and interesting!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby tn-dave » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:43 pm

Don't you just hate those '65 dimes and quarters though..??
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:32 pm

tn-dave wrote:Don't you just hate those '65 dimes and quarters though..??

They can fool you too. Sometimes the rim looks like a 90% until you look at it more closely.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals