Rounds that weigh more then they are marked?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Rounds that weigh more then they are marked?

Postby DebtFreeMe » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:38 pm

I was buying some silver rounds today, and the guy I was buying from through one of them on a scale and it was actually over 1 ounce... Is this kind of normal? That got me to thinking that I should always weigh them before I buy them, especially if I have a bunch to choose from... If I can get just a little bit of silver for free a bunch of times it could be a lot of silver for free eventually...

After going home I weighed some of my rounds and found that there are several that weigh more then they are marked....

Anyone else seen this?
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Re: Rounds that weigh more then they are marked?

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:06 am

:shock: How much more..... And. Do you own a magnet?
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby dannan14 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:23 am

It seems normal to never be exact. My ASE's and Philharmonics all seem to be about .2 grams heavy. However, my scale is very cheap and while precise to .01g, i would be willing to bet that its accuracy could easily be +/- .2 grams.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:26 am

Are they marked .999? Are they Sterling?
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby DebtFreeMe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:53 am

They are .999, after checking my own I have two that are about .3 grams more, not a lot, but my dealer had a 2 OZ coin that weighed 2.12 OZ... I think I'm going to check it out on Monday, he had no problem selling it to me at just 2 OZ. My local silver pusher is an honest guy, so I trust that it is genuine... I'm just curious if other have seen this before.

Thanks
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:40 am

How accurate is your scale?
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby slickeast » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:50 am

If you do have MARKED bars that are weighing over the stamped amount you will only get what it is marked. Now if you plan on melting and making your own bars then you would want the heavier bars. I would question any bar/round that weighed more than .01gram over its marked weight.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby DebtFreeMe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:58 am

It is + or - .01 gram...

Slickeast good to know on the marking, I have been contemplating doing some of my own melting... But, not even close to moving toward doing that... Other then a magnet is there any other way to check the coins?

Thanks.
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby PMLurker » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:32 am

Buy some calipers to measure diameter and thickness of the rounds and compare the measurement to published dimensions. If the rounds are too thick, but are the correct weight then they may not be .999 silver.
PMLurker
Penny Sorter Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:43 am

This may be the answer:
1oz = 28.3495231 gm
.999 Fine - 28.3495231gm
+ .001 not-fine 0.0283495231

Total weight = 28.3778723231
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:17 pm

1 troy oz silver is 31.1 grams
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Robarons » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:02 pm

It seems like your scale is off.

A BU US Silver eagle should weigh 31.1 grams. No ands if or buts about it. I am not sure of of the US Mint's tolerances, but I bet their minor than +/- .1 gram.

Private mints may have looser tolerances, but as long as its +/- .2-.3 grams I see no issues, especially if its over. This follows the guidelines that it is real silver, following the normal volume, dimensions,etc that real silver items should have.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Aqualung48 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Aqualung48
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:29 pm

Robarons wrote:It seems like your scale is off.

A BU US Silver eagle should weigh 31.1 grams. No ands if or buts about it. I am not sure of of the US Mint's tolerances, but I bet their minor than +/- .1 gram.

Private mints may have looser tolerances, but as long as its +/- .2-.3 grams I see no issues, especially if its over. This follows the guidelines that it is real silver, following the normal volume, dimensions,etc that real silver items should have.

Agree, I've seem some larger minor variances from other coin/round, but ASEs have always (so far) been pretty much dead nuts on weight. Pretty tight quality control, near as I can tell.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals