Education on Silver Bars and Rounds

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Education on Silver Bars and Rounds

Postby lewbo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:59 pm

I am needing a education on silver bars and rounds. I have watched them go for different prices and it seems to be based on manufacturer. Anybody want to explain which ones to look for when shopping? Thanks
Selling US pennies 1.9 face shipped. Never mind I am keeping everything!
lewbo
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Education on Silver Bars and Rounds

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:29 pm

:)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby lewbo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:33 pm

Of course we all know who is number 1!
lewbo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:26 am

Market Harmony has nice stuff too - and he has a retail store now.

Demand for different types of bars seems to be a regional thing. Some will pay more for the "recognized" bars and rounds. Govt issue stuff is even better, though Mexican and Canadian premiums vary by area. Chinese Pandas are super high premium because of collector demand.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:53 am

lewbo wrote:I am needing a education on silver bars and rounds. I have watched them go for different prices and it seems to be based on manufacturer. Anybody want to explain which ones to look for when shopping? Thanks

I think you have several sets of buyers are play....

First you will find buyers that see silver bullion as more than simple bullion. For instance the American Silver Eagle...it is a one ounce silver coin, correct. So, why do people slab it and try to find an MS70? Why does it matter if it is a 2001 or 1998? Bullion is bullion...Right? For these folks the answer is no.

Second you have folks who do not care and just want it as cheap as possible but do want to make sure the silver is .999 fine and genuine. Regardless, bars and rounds that are dated i.e. like Christmas ones as less desirable and harder to sell than ones without dates.

Third, a lot of people like buying unusual or odd shapes or sizes as a way to keep it interesting and fun. The A-Mark chunky bars are cute, the thick Swiss of America rounds are interesting etc... Does it really make sense to buy small 1 gram, 5 gram or 10 gram bars when they cost so much over the silver in them? Some folks think so....

Fourth you have people that want to buy the brand name bars like Engelhard. Since there is a high demand for these bars most people seek a bigger premium. Is it really justified? Well again the market decides this.
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:01 pm

Buy whatever is most affordable to your budget. When you can sleep at night without tossing and turning, wondering "do I have enough silver or gold" and the answer is yes... then you can start toying with the idea of paying premiums for novelty items that far exceeds the melt value of that item. Until then, you're only hurting yourself. Even if your intent is to flip, you should have an untouchable core position (acquired as inexpensively as possible) accumulated first. Alright... the mudslinging may now begin :roll:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby everything » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:32 pm

Don't forget about the old art bars, some people have an affinity for them, some are rare, I even have some myself, because you can usually find them for the cheapest spot price at almost any LCS. http://www.rivercitycoins.com/silverart ... rtbar.html

Some people will avoid bars, afraid they might be counterfeit, and stick with eagles, or buy from their favorite mint. Big aftermarket for bars and rounds as more of it is sold, being raw and plentiful, it all gets closer to spot price. Since it's all the same, it's just personal preference. Popular ones? Enghelhard, Johnson Matthey, Academy. They might go for different prices, but they are usually all pretty close, unless it's some rare type of bar, because some people who buy bars, might get the itch to have one of every kind of bar, etc. thus pushing price demand for the more rare poured bars.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:07 am

beauanderos wrote:Buy whatever is most affordable to your budget. When you can sleep at night without tossing and turning, wondering "do I have enough silver or gold" and the answer is yes... then you can start toying with the idea of paying premiums for novelty items that far exceeds the melt value of that item. Until then, you're only hurting yourself. Even if your intent is to flip, you should have an untouchable core position (acquired as inexpensively as possible) accumulated first. Alright... the mudslinging may now begin :roll:

I agree with this but then I just bought a ART coin as it had my name on it.
Bought a few 10 oz bars to build the stack early on, wish It had been ASE but OZ are OZ now for me.
Made a large for ME Silver buy five months ago, still waiting for Spot to hold above my buy price :) We are happy where our total Ozs stand :mrgreen:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:56 am

lewbo wrote:I am needing a education on silver bars and rounds. I have watched them go for different prices and it seems to be based on manufacturer. Anybody want to explain which ones to look for when shopping? Thanks

Engelhard & Johnson Matthey are the top 2 brands

Amark,Pamp Suisse, and RCM are probably second tier.

The list goes on and on though.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby lewbo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:21 am

Thanks highroller, that was what I was looking for best in class brands.
lewbo
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals