First box of nickels

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

First box of nickels

Postby Tantalar » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:25 am

I was extremely excited to get my first box of nickels, after searching several penny boxes. I was very disappointed in the outcome however :( The "best" coins I got I guess were a few canadian nickels and some nickels from the 40s... but wow, not even a cull buffalo! When I used to work at a gas station and get CWRs It was not uncommon to find a war nickel about 1 in every 15 rolls. Obviously CWRs are the way to go if you can find them. Oh well, I won't give up so easy. I know it is not uncommon to go one or many skunked boxes.
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Re: First box of nickels

Postby marblerye » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Yeah, nickels don't generally have much payout compared to halves. I'm close to the Canadian border so there are some .999 but I don't sort nickels much anymore. When you start getting jerks shorting the rolls, or putting pennies, washers, or other useless crap in the rolls, then it gets very discouraging.

But, look at at the awesome war nickel score fellow Rc member cesariojpn had last week...
marblerye

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:15 pm

It can be fun, but gets tedious and frustrating opening skunk after skunk box. Notice how there are and more members posting about skunk boxes.

I buy boxes of nickels and I put them away. I don't bother searching them. Pennies keep my busy enough.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby PADFH » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:33 pm

I've been hit or miss on nickel boxes. 1 War, 1 buff and 20 pre 1960 is about average for me. I haven't ordered them in awhile.
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Prince By-Tor » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:03 am

Im from canada and just so u know nickles are worthless unless there 1920's or earlier

Srry to burst ur bubble... But u found nothing.. =(
Prince By-Tor

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:19 am

Prince By-Tor wrote:Im from canada and just so u know nickles are worthless unless there 1920's or earlier

Sorry, but you're mistaken.

At current prices a 1955 - 1981 Canadian nickel is worth 0.0853 cents.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Prince By-Tor » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:04 am

Actualy off and on between 22 and 81 they where made of nickle not just 55 and 81 and so are worth 8cents but thats not rly a biggie i always keep my rly old worthless nickles just couse there old but not as anything of value
Prince By-Tor

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:33 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Prince By-Tor wrote:Im from canada and just so u know nickles are worthless unless there 1920's or earlier

More like 12-15 cents. I'm not selling any for under 10 cents regardless of quantity.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Z00 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:13 am

What?, another newbie to try and educate?
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dannan14 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:21 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

You mean .0853 dollars
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:19 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:.......At current prices a 1955 - 1981 Canadian nickel is worth 0.0853 cents.

Prince By-Tor wrote:Actualy off and on between 22 and 81 they where made of nickle not just 55 and 81.........

Cu Penny Hoarder means from 1955 until 1981, not just 1955 and 1981.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Prince By-Tor » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:44 pm

Lol a nickle isnt worth no 15cents in nickle idk how u figgur that...

Cardsncoins idk what ur on about or what it has to do with the conversation
Prince By-Tor

Postby merchoarder » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:29 pm

Prince By-Tor wrote:Lol a nickle isnt worth no 15cents in nickle idk how u figgur that...

Cardsncoins idk what ur on about or what it has to do with the conversation

15 cents, maybe not quite but 10 cents definitely. I certainly would not call them worthless. In fact I'm quite certain you could sell all you have here at 10 cents a piece. No disrespect intended here but do a little research before you start slamming others. Not sure why your giving it to Cardsandcoins... :?: :?: :?:
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Prince By-Tor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:09 am

Im not im being serious i dont know what hes going on about

The reason i say worthless is for the rarity theres no gain like dimes are rare but a $2 profit if u find one but nickles are rare and only a 3cent proffit so theres rly no point to serch them for nickel its different in us where theres silver ones to find but canadian onces are pointless
There worth 8.something cents atm
Prince By-Tor

Postby CardsNCoins » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:31 am

Prince By-Tor wrote:......i dont know what hes going on about........

That's OK, I honestly didn't think you would anyway.

Also, please try using a spellchecker. When windows puts a big red line under one of your words it doesn't mean that you did something awesome.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Prince By-Tor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:45 pm

Umm i dont have windows on my iphone...
Ur saying something about pennie hording when ppl are talking about the value of nickle it dont make any cents ;)
Prince By-Tor

Postby CardsNCoins » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Prince By-Tor wrote:.....Ur saying something about pennie hording when ppl are talking about the value of nickle it dont make any cents ;)

CU Penny Horder is the guy's name that was talking to you. :lol:
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Prince By-Tor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:09 pm

Oh over looked that but read what i said
He said its 55-81
I said its actualy 22-81 just not all the years some r steel n stuff
Prince By-Tor

Postby John_doe » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:16 pm

Tantalar wrote:I was extremely excited to get my first box of nickels, after searching several penny boxes. I was very disappointed in the outcome however :( The "best" coins I got I guess were a few canadian nickels and some nickels from the 40s... but wow, not even a cull buffalo! When I used to work at a gas station and get CWRs It was not uncommon to find a war nickel about 1 in every 15 rolls. Obviously CWRs are the way to go if you can find them. Oh well, I won't give up so easy. I know it is not uncommon to go one or many skunked boxes.

Don't get down on one box, the buffalo's and war nickels are somewhat uncommon. If the canadian nickels are pre 81 they are .999 nickel. There is also the option of stacking the US nickels which several are doing also. Happy hunting.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals