Searching Half Rolls with Metal Detector.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Searching Half Rolls with Metal Detector.

Postby NHsorter » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:31 pm

Is it possible with the right detector? I have always wondered this. Some of the sweet metal detectors seem like they are really good at discriminating between different metals. If you spread out a bunch of bank wrapped rolls of half dollars, can you pick out which ones have silver and which ones do not? This would speed up the process and also allow lots of rolls to be returned as rolls, rather than as loose. Anyone ever tried this?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Searching Half Rolls with Metal Detector.

Postby reddirtcoins » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:40 pm

I plan on buying a metal detector this summer. You can bet I'll try it.. :):)
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby twentybux » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:44 pm

reddirtcoins wrote:I plan on buying a metal detector this summer. You can bet I'll try it.. :):)

Keep us updated. Very interesting theory. Hmmmmmm. :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HPMBTT » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:23 pm

It should work on the higher-end metal detectors that can distinguish different kinds of metal by making different sounds etc when listening with your headphones. :)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:17 pm

Cool, all I ask is for a 5% cut of all silver found employing this method. PM for ship to address :lol: :lol:
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:38 pm

I think it will work if you lay the rolls horitzontally so it doesnt have to look "through" 20 coins at once.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby hobo finds » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:42 pm

Where are our metal decting guys... have them roll up some 1/2 s and lets find out!!!
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Diggin4copper » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 pm

I have a minelab explorer.. I m not sure if it will tell the difference between the copper and the silver.. they are both on the upper end of conductivity.. I'll try... ifmy batteries are alive..
edit... I dont have any clad halves... Ill go looking for some tomorrow...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:41 pm

Ill order a box of halves tomorrow.. it will take a week to get them and Ill try it...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Beau » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:28 pm

well guy`s I hate to tell you, but if you do one coin at a time it will work, but if you try a roll it will not work unless you have the coins spread out where you have about a 12 inch circle for each coin.
I have a pin pointer that will work in small places after you find the coin with the big detector, but it will not tell you what you have found.
in metal detecting you can not get by with out the Pin Pointer, or you will miss a lot of stuff.

I used to be a Dealer for Whites Metal Detectors.
I have the highest priced detector and the second to the highest priced detector sold by whites now, and I have owned lots of others.

GOOD LUCK Beau

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:13 pm

A decent digital scale is cheaper. Not foolproof or definitive by any means (you can have some misses due to variables of wear and other factors), but if you're looking for a quick method to tell if rolls are silver-heavy, it can give you a hint. Still doesn't beat busting them open and using your peepers, though.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:42 am

Don't think so. Say you had 19 clad and 1 silver...the detector would pick up the 19...and on mine...the difference between a silver half and a clad half isn't too much on the ears.

Now gold would be much different...but from a higher quality($$$$$) gold machine!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Tourney64 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:22 pm

I have a nice metal detector and will try tomorrow with my half boxes.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby CU Baker » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:19 pm

:lol: You guys ever heard the over load sound of a detector going off, just crack the rolls and keep searching. ;)
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jtlee321 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:12 pm

A metal detector will barely if at all distinguish between a silver half dollar and a clad half dollar. I do a lot of metal detecting and I know that even in the ground there is not really any difference in tone on a clad or silver coin. My biggest ally for making an educated guess it what depth my detector is telling me the coin is at. I have had a silver dime sound like a zinc penny. I only dug the target because it was deep.

If you read up on how a metal detector works, you will answer your own question. I sends out an electromagnetic field and the returned signal is checked to see how it was affected by the environment around it. It picks up on how conductive a target is and whether it is ferrous or not. When you take a group of targets and lump them together then the sum of the targets is what is interpreted. Not the content of each individual target.

When you scan over a roll of coins it takes the entire roll into consideration. It cannot scan each coin individually. Your best bet is to weigh the rolls. But this really only works for 90%. Even then it is not a fool proof method. Your best bet is to just open the rolls. Maybe you can write Brinks a letter and ask them to start wrapping the Halves in plastic rolls like the pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters. :D
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby Tourney64 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:43 am

Tried last night and I couldn't tell the difference.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:34 am

Yeah, that would be sweet if they wrapped the halves in plastic!!
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennybug » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:51 pm

NHsorter wrote:Is it possible with the right detector? I have always wondered this. Some of the sweet metal detectors seem like they are really good at discriminating between different metals. If you spread out a bunch of bank wrapped rolls of half dollars, can you pick out which ones have silver and which ones do not? This would speed up the process and also allow lots of rolls to be returned as rolls, rather than as loose. Anyone ever tried this?

If it works... I think I'll order about $50,000 in halves... walk into the bank with a detector... scan the boxes... and say "I only want THAT one!"... :lol:
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals