SILVER BULLION VS. SILVER DOLLARS

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

SILVER BULLION VS. SILVER DOLLARS

Postby MIKER » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:02 pm

I'M NEW TO THIS FORUM SO PLEASE FORGIVE ME IF MY QUESTION HAS BEEN ASKED AND ANSWERED BEFORE.
THE QUESTION IS ; IN YOUR OPINIONS WHAT IS THE BEST BANG FOR MY BUCK?
1OZ SILVER EAGLES OR 10 OZ BARS OR MORGAN/PEACE SILVER DOLLARS?
HERE IN THE CHICAGO BURBS SILVER DOLLARS HAVE BEEN SELLING FOR ABOUT $30EA.,SOMETIMES A DEAL COMES ALONG FOR $28/29EA. A SILVER DOLLAR COMES WITH A PREMIUM SO WHAT MAKES A BETTER BUY?
BULLION SELLS FOR SPOT PLUS THE DEALERS PROFIT, BUT THATS 1OZ. OF 99.9 SILVER, A DOLLAR IS .77 OF AN OUNCE, THATS 3/4 OF AN OUNCE. THE PRICE OF SILVER HAS DROPPED BUT THE DOLLARS DON'T SEEM TO HAVE HAD AS GREAT A FLUCTION.
I HAVEN'T INCLUDED 90% HALF DOLLARS,QUARTERS OR DIMES, I LOVE DOLLARS BUT AM NOT LOCKED IN IF A BUCK IS INVOLVED, 90% SILVER IS 90% SILVER.
THANX IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR VALUABLE OPINIONS.
MIKER

Re: SILVER BULLION VS. SILVER DOLLARS

Postby baggerman » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:03 pm

I would say a little bit of each and the cheaper the better.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby daviscfad » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:09 pm

baggerman wrote:I would say a little bit of each and the cheaper the better.

I agree with that statement
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby John Reich » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:14 pm

I would get some of each--.999 rounds/bars, 90% halves/quarters/dimes and silver dollars. At different times each form of silver is the cheapest. Also, it depends on who/where you buy. When you see a bargain, act!
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Postby MIKER » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:18 pm

I KNOW THE CHEAPEST IS THE BEST BANG, BUT I'M LOOKING FOR A MORE PRO/CON ANSWER, WHICH IS THE BETTER BUY, AND WHY? THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES.
MIKER

Postby inflationhawk » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:35 pm

Morgan silver dollars carry a premium because of their historic numismatic value. They will always carry a premium over spot, both when you buy them and when you sell them. You'll notice that Morgan silver dollars from various years cost different amounts because some are more scarce than others. Premiums change over time too so you have two factors to consider. With modern silver eagles and bars, you are simply investing for the silver value.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:40 pm

I, FOR ONE, REALLY LIKE MORGAN SILVER DOLLARS. BUT AS OTHERS HAVE NOTED SILVER EAGLES AND BULLION INGOTS TRADE NICELY AS WELL.

WELCOME TO REALCENT MIKER!
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:50 pm

There is something about the story a 100 year old Morgan could tell you if it could talk...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:00 pm

It's been said before, and by wiser men than myself, but I'll give it a whirl...

Depends on what your buying them for.

If It's preparing for a currency crisis, 90% bar none with as little premium as possible.

If you are buying to invest in silver, 999 all day long.

You think you can take a loupe and stare at your coins all day, interested in owning something that transcends bullion? Let's go with the silver dollars.

And... STOP YELLING AT ME!!!
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby njoElec » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:09 pm

"Stop yelling at me...AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!"
Big Daddy - Courtroom scene.

I favored 90% for awhile. I then decided to sell a little bit so I could get a few Canadian Wildlife Series coins. I'm now leaning towards pure silver. It's always good to have different varieties of silver for different occasions. I have my "investment" silver, then I have my 90% junk. Like some of the other replies - always grab the deal whenever something sticks out to you.

Welcome.
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:11 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:STOP YELLING AT ME!!!

:lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby justj2k78 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:41 pm

:lol: I'M A BIG FAN OF .999 AND I ALSO LIKE TO YELL FOR NO REASON!!!
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:23 pm

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby OtusLotus » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:46 pm

There is no formula... no exact science.... no holy grail to buying silver coins or silver bars...

You know what the intrinsic value of the silver is.... some coins have a lot of historic value to them... and the premium for the history and the condition is the premium...

If you are collecting for the history, go with the coins.. if you want the silver, buy the bars... If you are like most of us, you buy both!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:06 am

Finally had enough Morgans and Peace to start tubes now need to buy more to fill tube ;)
Bah Humbug :oops:

Just buy More 8-)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:58 am

I try to buy anthing .999 at as low of a premium as possible and search for 35%, 40% and 90%. That seems to diversify my portfolio.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:02 am

pssst, hey come over here and I will tell you
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:59 am

Yes, please take off the caps....

You get the most bang for your buck when you buy 10oz bars because you normally don't have to pay a huge premium.

100 Eagles at $35=$3500
11 10oz bars at $32=$3520

Of course this figures in the typical $3 premium for eagles, but that is my 2 cents.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby 97guns » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:25 am

ive been concentrating on morgan/peace dollars for the past 3 months. at $32 a coin the premium is $6, i dont see premiums dropping too much as they are no longer made. imo silver dollars offer huge upside.
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:27 pm

I love common date pre-21 Morgans in VF to XF condition. There great to look at and they can be had at a small premium above that of 90% junk dimes, quarters & halves. Each Morgan has it's own personality and history. Conversely 1 oz ASE's all look the same to me.

Buy what you like and if you buy it at a good price (like today's $31 spot) then you won't go wrong.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:28 pm

97guns wrote:ive been concentrating on morgan/peace dollars for the past 3 months. at $32 a coin the premium is $6, i dont see premiums dropping too much as they are no longer made. imo silver dollars offer huge upside.

I just sold a bunch of peace and morgan dollars in the KSA for under $28 each! The premiums drop with the dollars just like 90%.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby inflationhawk » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:00 pm

Yes, common Morgan's do fluctuate closely in line with the price of silver. I remember picking up Morgans in the low 20s a couple of years ago when silver was in the high teens. At some point Morgan's will hold there value better than silver, but not unless silver was really cheap...far lower than now.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennybug » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:42 pm

MIKER wrote:I'M NEW TO THIS FORUM SO PLEASE FORGIVE ME IF MY QUESTION HAS BEEN ASKED AND ANSWERED BEFORE.
THE QUESTION IS ; IN YOUR OPINIONS WHAT IS THE BEST BANG FOR MY BUCK?
1OZ SILVER EAGLES OR 10 OZ BARS OR MORGAN/PEACE SILVER DOLLARS?
HERE IN THE CHICAGO BURBS SILVER DOLLARS HAVE BEEN SELLING FOR ABOUT $30EA.,SOMETIMES A DEAL COMES ALONG FOR $28/29EA. A SILVER DOLLAR COMES WITH A PREMIUM SO WHAT MAKES A BETTER BUY?
BULLION SELLS FOR SPOT PLUS THE DEALERS PROFIT, BUT THATS 1OZ. OF 99.9 SILVER, A DOLLAR IS .77 OF AN OUNCE, THATS 3/4 OF AN OUNCE. THE PRICE OF SILVER HAS DROPPED BUT THE DOLLARS DON'T SEEM TO HAVE HAD AS GREAT A FLUCTION.
I HAVEN'T INCLUDED 90% HALF DOLLARS,QUARTERS OR DIMES, I LOVE DOLLARS BUT AM NOT LOCKED IN IF A BUCK IS INVOLVED, 90% SILVER IS 90% SILVER.
THANX IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR VALUABLE OPINIONS.

The TRUEST answer is... learn how to search for halves and get your silver for face value! Look into searching for halves... Learn how to do this... along with what others have said (buy rounds, eagles, 90%, etc.) and you'll have a small stack in no time! Me... I ONLY collect 90% and Eagles. I do not like looking at silver or gold that is mine that does not say "IN GOD WE TRUST". I find it keeps me in check when gauzing upon my stack. Just my preference. I have NOTHING against bars/rounds.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby wagsthadog » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:45 pm

Like I said in my post, I'm new to this forum, I'm sorry that I have offended some of you by writing my question in capitals. My intent was not to cause people to comment on my poor posting skills but to get an answer to a question that I wasn't sure about. To the people that are disturbed by my "YELLING AT THEM" my apologies, and hope that you never have to be the new guy that gets put down for some error. Thanks for your warm welcome to someone new!
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby justj2k78 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:38 pm

wagsthadog wrote:Like I said in my post, I'm new to this forum, I'm sorry that I have offended some of you by writing my question in capitals. My intent was not to cause people to comment on my poor posting skills but to get an answer to a question that I wasn't sure about. To the people that are disturbed by my "YELLING AT THEM" my apologies, and hope that you never have to be the new guy that gets put down for some error. Thanks for your warm welcome to someone new!

Wags, did you take a blow to the head recently? :lol:
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals