SILVER BULLION VS. SILVER DOLLARS

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: SILVER BULLION VS. SILVER DOLLARS

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:47 pm

wagsthadog wrote:Like I said in my post, I'm new to this forum, I'm sorry that I have offended some of you by writing my question in capitals. My intent was not to cause people to comment on my poor posting skills but to get an answer to a question that I wasn't sure about. To the people that are disturbed by my "YELLING AT THEM" my apologies, and hope that you never have to be the new guy that gets put down for some error. Thanks for your warm welcome to someone new!

It's all good wags.....wait a second.....?????? :?
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby wagsthadog » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi there-

No, nono, I have to explain- MIKER is my father, and I set up an account for him so he could learn about the ins and outs of coin investing. He really IS new to this so please go easy on him. What happened was he logged on and posted, thinking it was his account but it was really mine. After all, I always begin every message with "hi there" and end with "wags" so it couldn't possibly be me :)

Sorry about the confusion,

wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:56 pm

Well at least you have your pops posting. My dad is still being just a creepy lurker.

Thanks for the clarifiction ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby wagsthadog » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:02 pm

Hi Rodebaugh-

sorry, no hijacked accounts, I promise- He is NOT one for forum lightheartedness, though, so I would just keep it business with him...he does have good stuff to sell once in a while :)

Thanks, wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby penny pretty » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:40 pm

most new members have 700 plus posts, Im sure..
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby merchoarder » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:45 pm

Well your Dads username is all in caps too so I guess he gets a pass :) Cool to see a father son team on here!

To answer your question, the best bang for your buck is probably foreign silver. I'm a small time stacker and an ebay scrounger. I can usually find Canadian silver for under spot but it takes some time searching through listings. You may be better off buying generic .999 rounds or bars as they dont carry the premium of ASE's/dollars . The premium on morgans and peace dollars on ebay is kind of crazy. It mostly boils down to personal preference. I'm a silver is silver guy so I like to get as much for as cheap as I can. In it for the long term so I dont plan on selling anytime soon. You have to remember that if you buy with a premium you can probably sell with a premium, if you buy at a discount to melt you may have to sell it that way too.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Tribal Warrior » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:34 am

I'm mostly .999 although, if you can find the silver dollars for the right price then buy them. It pretty much comes down to the premium for me.
Tribal Warrior

Postby tractorman » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:48 am

I think you answered your own question with this...

MIKER wrote: HERE IN THE CHICAGO BURBS SILVER DOLLARS HAVE BEEN SELLING FOR ABOUT $30EA.,SOMETIMES A DEAL COMES ALONG FOR $28/29EA. A SILVER DOLLAR COMES WITH A PREMIUM SO WHAT MAKES A BETTER BUY?

That's what makes it a better buy ... buy for $28 + usually sells for $30 = good deal. It is a matter of personal preference whether you still want to pay more than the spot price of the silver. To my mind, its a question of your goals. Are you thinking of flipping to make an easy buck? The market might support something like that today. If you get into it, you could learn what all the premium silver sells for today and you might spot some outstanding deals if you look hard enough. Of course there is no guarantee that this premium will persist for any particular form in the future. If you are just interested in the actual silver content and all other factors seem silly, then just go with the cheapest you can find. War nicks and 40% halves can be found under spot.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby njoElec » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:50 am

merchoarder wrote: Cool to see a father son team on here!

+1
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals