dump nickels for silver?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

dump nickels for silver?

Postby lance » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:12 am

Someone made a good point that nickels wont be worth much considering the cost to refine and seperate the metals....cooper pennies are worth much more and people today only get 1.5 tops for them....should i dump nickels and spend the money on silver?
lance
Penny Collector Member

Re: dump nickels for silver?

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:20 am

lance wrote:Someone made a good point that nickels wont be worth much considering the cost to refine and seperate the metals....cooper pennies are worth much more and people today only get 1.5 tops for them....should i dump nickels and spend the money on silver?

I get more than 1.5x every single day. Everyone on the forum just chooses to have price wars.

And yes I would suggest dumping nickels to get silver or copper pennies.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby ggg » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:40 am

That got me thinking. If someone dumped their nickels and spent their money on silver, when should they jump in and start buying the silver? Buy a portion now and buy some more if there is a dip? Buy it all now? I know there are many ideas on the best way to do this, just wanted to hear what ya'll thought.
ggg
Penny Sorter Member

Postby lance » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:04 am

Its hard to predict silver...it could go down to $10 a oz tommarow...or jump upto 40 tommarow and never go back down again...but the way gas is rising and silver is cheaper now than its been in months so id say buy now
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby ZenOps » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:09 am

Purity is not all that its cracked up to be.

http://coins.about.com/b/2012/03/01/us- ... f-sets.htm

90% silver is actually more expensive to produce than 99.9% People who circulate silver tend to prefer the alloys, as it has a nice "ring" and does not tarnish anywhere near as fast as pure silver.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby ggg » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:33 am

ZenOps wrote:People who circulate silver tend to prefer the alloys...

I agree with ya. I tend to buy more 90% silver coins than ASE's or bars. There is nothing like a heavy Morgan in your hand. But a nice 10 ounce bar feels pretty good too.
ggg
Penny Sorter Member

Postby lance » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:27 am

Yes but american nickels arnt 90% nickel
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby camtender » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:01 pm

US nickels are sold for 1.5 times face???????????

highroller4321 wrote:
lance wrote:Someone made a good point that nickels wont be worth much considering the cost to refine and seperate the metals....cooper pennies are worth much more and people today only get 1.5 tops for them....should i dump nickels and spend the money on silver?

I get more than 1.5x every single day. Everyone on the forum just chooses to have price wars.

camtender
Penny Collector Member

Postby lance » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:02 pm

camtender wrote:US nickels are sold for 1.5 times face???????????

highroller4321 wrote:

Copper pennies i think is what he meant
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby Bluegill » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:46 pm

lance wrote:....should i dump nickels

Yes.
and spend the money on silver?

Maybe. Or Cu pennies, .999 Ni or what ever else. Free up your capitol you have wasting away in a base metal alloy.

I find it incredibly improbable that CuNi will ever get refined to separate the two metals. Like red/yellow brass and bronze, it too will get recycled into new things of the same/similar alloys. The demand for .999 Cu and Ni will be satisfied will recycled .999 Cu and Ni.

Take a foreign CuNi coin to a scrap sealer. Tell him/her you have quantity. After he tells you the real world melt value, we can then compare and contrast that with the "theoretical" melt value.

Just my 2 Canadian bronze cents.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:31 pm

camtender wrote:US nickels are sold for 1.5 times face???????????

highroller4321 wrote:

There is to many quotes to try to figure it out lol.......BUT he was talking that copper pennies go for 1.5x max and that is incorrect.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals