A pic of my first silver.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

A pic of my first silver.

Postby ggg » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:21 pm

Howdy all! Here is a pic of the very first silver I got. I think I sent in $5 to the Littleton Coin Company and I got a Liberty Walking Half Dollar and a Mercury Dime along with a brochure and neat little holder. Oh, and of course, their catalog. Somehow I ended up with 2 sets. I must have ordered 2 catalogs. In retrospect, I feel like I pulled a fast one on them for ordering more than one set. Well, maybe not. Just wish I ordered more. I still have the catalogs too. It might be the only silver that I wouldn't sell. (Sentimental value). Does everyone remember their first silver? Do you still have it? Would you sell it?
Attachments
RC 02.jpg
RC 02.jpg (161.72 KiB) Viewed 467 times
ggg
Penny Sorter Member

Re: A pic of my first silver.

Postby aloneibreak » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:33 pm

i had a couple of those sets too :) - must of got mine at least 15 years ago...

my old man gave me a slick standing liberty when i was 8 or 10

its one of just a small handful of coins that have special meaning to me
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby jtlee321 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:03 am

The very first silver coin I ever had was an 1838 Seated Liberty Dime that my Grandmother gave me for my 7th or 8th birthday. Unfortunately I sold it when I was like 12 to buy some Garbage Pail Kids.. :cry: I wish I had never done that. I think about it a lot. I have spoke to my Grandmother who remembers giving it to me and she loved how excited I was to get it. I remember her showing me her collection when I was 10. We still talk about that. I am now 36. She gets a kick out of the fact that I now buy rolls of coins to look for silver. All of her coins came from circulation. She even has a number of Canadian and British coin that her Father had collected. He came from England and migrated to Canada before moving to the U.S.. I find the history behind her collection to be the most interesting aspect of it. :D
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby Dano » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:45 am

First silver I found was a worn and slightly green 1968-D half. Got it from a bank when I was 10!
My second was a worn 1943 merc that a neighbor gave me. He knew I was interested in coins, so he wanted to give me something to keep my interst going. It worked! Been collecting for 36 years! I still have both!
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves."
Dano
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby philadelphiafan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:50 am

First silver I got was a 1964 half dollar from my dad. I don't think I will ever sell it, it means too much
philadelphiafan

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:04 am

My first silver? I believe it was a Silver Proof AE from the Mint in 1999? My friend who is also quite the coin enthusiast asked me back then if I wanted to start collecting these every year. My collection has grown quite a bit since that time, with many new additions :) Is it a bad thing to want MORE?
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby H2SO4 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:28 am

My first silver purchase (if I remember correctly ) was a roll of ASE. Very goood day, and made a great contact out of it. fond memories... :D
H2SO4
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 97guns » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:36 am

i think LCC sends coins out on consignment, you either have to send them back in or pay like $20 for the half and $7 for the dime. they may have changed the format, ive never seen the $5 charge before.
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby ggg » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:08 pm

97guns wrote:i think LCC sends coins out on consignment, you either have to send them back in or pay like $20 for the half and $7 for the dime. they may have changed the format, ive never seen the $5 charge before.

I got these over 25 years ago. I'm assuming the that the melt value for the dime was 36 cents and for the half dollar it was $1.81 back then. I guess I paid over 2X melt value back then. Not a very smart purchase at the time, but 25 years later, it seems like a pretty good deal now. It was a little ad in the back of a non-coin magazine. It was their way to get you on their mailing list and send you a catalog. I don't thinK I ever bought anything from them tho. I have the catalog somewhere. I'll dig it out and let ya'll know what the prices at Littleton where back then. It was pretty cool reading about everyone's first silver. I could tell by reading some of the posts, it brought back some old childhood memories. Keep the stories coming :D
ggg
Penny Sorter Member

Postby jasmatk » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:14 pm

My first silver was a 1943 half dollar when I was about 12 years old It was my grandfathers and I ended up with it when he died,that one stays seperate from the rest of the 90%.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals