Gold investment is good?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Gold investment is good?

Postby fb101 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:29 pm

I get wary when I see this.

From Glenn Beck story

MSNBC admits: Glenn Beck was right
MSNBC’s coma inducing program ‘Morning Joe’ has a long history of mocking Glenn -- calling him crazy, a fear monger, etc etc. But today they were singing a different tune when an ‘expert’ appeared on their program to inform them about good investments. At the top of the list: Gold. That led to the shocking admission that yep, Glenn Beck was right

The scary part of all this is if MSNBC says it's time to buy gold, it may be time to sell.........
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Gold investment is good?

Postby everything » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:05 pm

I've heard quite a few rumors about gold being topped out, even people switching to silver because of a higher upside potential.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:17 pm

IMHO, stocks and commodities are due for a big pullback, and PMs aren't going to be immune.

Herding the sheep into gold just before a big correction is a good way to reinforce their training that PMs are a terrible investment.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:58 pm

Stop thinking of gold as an investment. Gold is money. Because its worth is denominated in dollars, it's "value" fluctuates and can be driven to various numbers...none of which actually accurately measure its worth... as long as it is measured in fiat currencies. Gold is priceless, and if you haven't figured that out yet... well, how long have you been a forum member?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby aloneibreak » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:16 pm

beauanderos wrote:Stop thinking of gold as an investment. Gold is money. Because its worth is denominated in dollars, it's "value" fluctuates and can be driven to various numbers...none of which actually accurately measure its worth... as long as it is measured in fiat currencies. Gold is priceless, and if you haven't figured that out yet... well, how long have you been a forum member?

+1
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby scrapman1077 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:22 pm

beauanderos

AMEN !
scrapman1077
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:37 pm

Gold is priceless, and if you haven't figured that out yet... well, how long have you been a forum member?

I'm assuming you meant me. :roll:

I agree that gold is money, and I'm pretty sure everyone else here does as well...but we're a very small percentage of the western world.

My main point was that if the PTB can use the opportunity of a dropping market to train the masses to avoid PMs, especially if they can shear them in the process, why wouldn't they take it?
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ggg » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:52 pm

aloneibreak wrote:Stop thinking of gold as an investment. Gold is money.

I once read somewhere that the value of a gold coin (not sure what size or denomination) has always kept up with the price of a nice tailored suit. I think the article looked all the back to the 1920's or 1930's and they looked at the value of the gold coin at that time versus the price of a nice suit from that same time period. I'm assuming the price of a suit many years from now is probably going to be more than it costs now, so according to the article, gold should go up and keep pace with the suits.
ggg
Penny Sorter Member

Postby silverflake » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:56 pm

It seems like every 2 or 3 months I have to scream out loud that silver and gold are not at a top. Why? Because the PUBLIC IS NOT IN IT YET! I still only know 2 of my co-workers/friends/family who have bought gold and/or silver. When the public gets in, price movements will BLOW YOUR MIND! When they finally get in, thats when silver and gold will go parabolic. Not until then. We are not in a top, for crying out loud.

KEEP STACKING, MY FRIENDS! (Yes, I am yelling)
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Country » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:03 pm

ggg wrote:

I once read somewhere that the value of a gold coin (not sure what size or denomination) has always kept up with the price of a nice tailored suit. I think the article looked all the back to the 1920's or 1930's and they looked at the value of the gold coin at that time versus the price of a nice suit from that same time period. I'm assuming the price of a suit many years from now is probably going to be more than it costs now, so according to the article, gold should go up and keep pace with the suits.

$20 Double Eagle GOLD coin... :ugeek:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:52 am

Engineer wrote:
Gold is priceless, and if you haven't figured that out yet... well, how long have you been a forum member?

My comment wasn't meant personally. I just get tired (on top of the emotional beatdown consistently employed by the other side) when our own team starts talking like we can't win.

Yes, the other team plays dirty. They ignore the rules and the refs let them get away with it. But the playing field is tilted to our advantage because of impending resource depletion. They're fighting an uphill battle as our defense toughens. A few years ago they could score with a high school running back making a good broken field run. Then it started to get tougher as the game went on. They had to bring in collegiate athletes to stay ahead in the game. We aren't even at halftime yet, and they've already realized that Heisman trophy winners weren't getting the job done so they're now using the top gainers in the NFL just to play us even. Don't let the fact that they're temporarily ahead on the scoreboard daunt you. Keep playing good defense, buying silver on the dips (hot cheerleader just winked at you) and dollar cost averaging as it's affordable. We can win this game, and are winning it (most of the audience is fooled by the razzle-dazzle plays of the other team)... it's just that sometimes those guys with their "get in your face" attitude can demoralize us. But... they're team is getting tired, folks. We're in better shape than they are, this game is four quarters, not two, and they haven't begun to test our limits. Sure... it's tiring, but we aren't exhausted yet. And even if we do reach that point? By then the second string will be here to back us up, and those guys are bigger and stronger and even more talented than we are. And if THEY get exhausted? Well then our third string will be ready to enter the game. And those suckers will be gigantic steroid-bred deep pocketed muthas. They can't win, they can only delay the inevitable. Hang in there, Team! Image
beauanderos

Postby Engineer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:22 am

beauanderos wrote:
Engineer wrote:

My comment wasn't meant personally. I just get tired (on top of the emotional beatdown consistently employed by the other side) when our own team starts talking like we can't win.

My comment wasn't directed at the realcenters as a group, but I can see where you could have taken it that way. What I meant it as was a statement about the populace as a whole. History has shown us that the PTB don't want people in PMs, and they'll use every means at their disposal to inflict pain whenever too many people start taking an interest in hard money. Both of us are resilient enough to live through the forced dips, as are most of the other people here, but the average Joe generally only needs one really bad experience to turn him off of metals for the rest of his life.

I still think we're overdue for another stock (and metals) crash, but given that its an election year they may hold it off until after the elections. I'll continue to stack a little on the dips, but I'm also keeping some powder dry for the big one.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:54 am

+1. This is true, they know that, and that is the reason they continue unrelenting pressure. This is why technical analysis is meaningless in rigged markets. They manage preceptions, deny expectations, and distort logic. Every time a breakout occurs or is on the verge of occuring, they employ another smackdown... so that even though there are inverted head and shoulders... or so many days below the 200 DMA... it doesn't signify anything. Against that battle array, all one can do is stay out of paper investments and continue to buy physical.
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:13 am

Sooner rather than later is going to come that day where they lose control of the physical market. But we could stlil be a year or three away from that. Meanwhile, we're in relatively cheap PM.

Could gold fall to $1300 and silver to $20? I suppose. If so, will "lose" some value as measured by USD. But I'll have the same amount of PM in oz. And any fall to levels like those will be accompanied by a major economic crash and collapse of the USD which will cause people to buy PMs, and the price will reverse overnight and double then double again. What happens will happen so fast that heads will be spinning, and if you're not in the game already at that time, you'll be out of the game faster than you can type realcent.org.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Delawhere Jack » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:49 am

ggg wrote:

One oz = 1 quality suit, belt and shoes. It goes back to the Roman empire, but then it was one quality toga, belt and sandals.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:04 am

It could still be sandals and a toga... if you threw in some quality party drugs too 8-) :lol:
beauanderos

Postby Chief » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:38 pm

I love the conversation here on realcent.org.
To me, if things get crazy this summer or during the election cycle, physical and paper prices will detach. You don't own it unless you can hold it. I am under the rule that I don't ever want to sell my PMs, acquired through buying or roll searching unless I am buying a house or we're at the super-duper all-time high. If I did sell at a great high, that money needs to finance something to make more money, something tangible and real. FRN's are going to be worthless since we can print/create them at will. A house, land, PM's, and durable goods are priceless. We (realcent/non-manipulators in the PM market) are not sheeple.
Toz > FRN's.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals