ID'ing silver flatware, etc.?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

ID'ing silver flatware, etc.?

Postby agmoose » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:17 pm

Is there a really good, comprehensive resource that anyone would recommend to help a newbie to thrift/antique shops and yardsales? I hit up a few shops today, and took notes rather than buying anything. 99% of what I saw turns out to be electro plated, silver over copper, etc. I do need to go back to one place that had a nice serving tray that turns out it was actually silver. I just didn't know the hallmarks, makers, etc. to look for other than the words sterling or .925.

I did get my wife a really nice .925 ring for $1.

Thanks
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: ID'ing silver flatware, etc.?

Postby Robarons » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:47 pm

Thats really just it- Sterling flatware and serving pieces will always say 'Sterling' and a maker mark, etc.

Also look for purities such as 925, 900, 835, 800, etc. British markings for sterling are also helpful (queens/kings head, rampant lion, letter, etc.) along with other European marks.
Coin silver is American 90% silver made from US coinage for the most part.

DO NOT BUY NICKEL SILVER, WHITE METAL, GERMAN SILVER, SILVERODE,ETC THESE ARE NICKEL ALLOYS WITH NO SILVER. Because your new only buy things specifically marked 'Sterling' until you learn otherwise.

http://www.925-1000.com/
Is the best Silver Hallmarks on the web. Shows all kinds of Silver markings across the world, even has a page to tell the difference in silver plate, Sheffield plate, and Sterling

Spent hours on this site- educate yourself
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby goodcents » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:29 pm

Robarons,

Thanks a ton for this link. I want to read a ton on there
goodcents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby agmoose » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:14 am

Thanks Robarons. I've bookmarked that site.

As mentioned, I took notes yesterday, and will probably keep doing that unless something jumps right out at me until I am more confident in this. BUT - there are literally hundreds of thrift stores, antique shops within 40 miles of me, and the wife enjoys walking thru them as well. So on a rainy weekend when we aren't on the Harley, its a great option and a chance to make a little $$ as well.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby John Reich » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:11 am

Thanks Robarons,
I bookmarked this site also. I have a book on American silversmith marks, but this site is much more complete than my book!
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals