Junk vs 0.999

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Junk vs 0.999

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:02 am

Country wrote:
totalcount wrote:Anyone know what the buying discount/premium was for .999 1 ounce rounds at the peak in 1980? I know the reason for the refining of .90 was to make 1000 ounce bars for delivery, but I don't know how that affected the .999, clearly it would have to be melted down and recast at the very least and that would take at least a little time.

As I recall, there weren't too many generic rounds for sale at that time, even Engelhard didn't start making SILVER rounds until 1984. 90% was what you bought if you wanted SILVER bullion in the USA in 1980. Quite different from nowadays as rounds are everywhere. Round production truly began in the early 1980's after the many SILVER coins were melted into bars by refiners from 1975-1980.

I have a few old COINage issues from 1980-1, and he's right. Not too many bars or rounds to buy. All I can remember from those ads were gram bars and oddball bars (One from Hong Kong/Shanghai Assay Office being the most odd...4 Ounces worth of silver.)
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Junk vs 0.999

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:24 pm

in my read, things are going to change.

and the way, and the why i buy metal is for trade.

to define what IS currency will be the challenge.

neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals