Appraisal and Purchase

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Appraisal and Purchase

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:26 am

Not to mention that she might someday join RC and read this thread! :o
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Engineer » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:28 pm

It might not be a bad idea to give your co-worker a copy of the latest edition blue book, with the explanation that it is the wholesale price guide for brick and mortar dealers. Once you've established that initial level of credibility, anything you offer above those amounts looks like good will on your part.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:54 pm

Engineer wrote:It might not be a bad idea to give your co-worker a copy of the latest edition blue book, with the explanation that it is the wholesale price guide for brick and mortar dealers. Once you've established that initial level of credibility, anything you offer above those amounts looks like good will on your part.

That's a great idea (I had in mind the Red book, but the Blue book is even better)... but I don't believe she would want to go to that much effort. She really doesn't want to even bother with this at all, besides Blue book is starting to get into numie valuations (which I want to stay AWAY from), preferring to just value the lot as bullion and beat or match APMEX buy prices. That's the first angle anyway, and if she's acceptable to that I would have no trouble sleeping. I would hope there are some numies... but chances are it's just common bullion of various denominations. Stepfather wasn't a buyer, he just saved from circulation, but I don't know for how long. I think my co-worker is exaggerating the contents of the tubs to get a free appraisal out of me, actually.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Diggin4copper » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:39 am

Ray, to protect yourself, take pics of what you are offering to buy... its hard to remember everything later,and sometimes relatives and friends like to take a souvenir thinking it wont be missed. I have bid on estates and had a relative take certain items after a price was reached...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby alpacafarmer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:15 am

The last big estate I went to buy ended up being $648 total. To hear this lady tell about the huge coin collection her dad left her I was expecting $50,000+ but people often times see what they want to see. You may ask to just get a peek. 5 min. and you will know if your dealing with $500 or $50,000. Think of other collectors and stackers you know that might love a chance to make a bulk purchase. I know 5 local guys I could call that would chip in $25k each for such a chance.
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:34 am

Ray, it's pretty easy, man. Just take a coin price sheet with you... whether it is blue, grey, red, or off the numismedia site, it doesn't matter... just agree, in advance with the seller, of exactly what the price sheet represents, and then the percent back of the price that you are willing to offer her. Let her know that there is no obligation for her to sell, but you would like to be compensated for your time and effort to go through her stuff and HELP her to find a value of it.

Put the bullion stuff off to the side. That's the easiest stuff to figure and basically a few line items of your purchase sheet. X amount of 90%, Y amount of 40%, Z amount of fine silver, and so on. Put that on it own separate purchase sheet.

For the coins, before you start putting prices on them, separate them into piles of same denomination, then year, then grade. Each pile gets a line on your purchase page. Use the price on your coin price guide and then add it all up. Once you have the final number, then you simply multiply that number by the agreed upon percentage. If she doesn't like the price, then she has the information that you organized for her to use in the future. You are offering her this as a service. So, again, if she doesn't sell, then you still should get something for your effort.

Buying large collections is like eating an elephant... you just have to do it one bite at a time

ps. I'm always looking for new inventory. Feel free to call me if you come across a coin that you need a price on. I'll be happy to be your phone-a-friend
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby knibloe » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:47 am

I was approached in church last week about the same scenario. I told the woman that I would be willing to look at the coins and tell her what was bullion and what might have numis value. I do not want any of the numis coins, but I might be interested in the bullion.

My thoughts on the numis was to get the blue book as well.

I do like some of mikes ideas as well.

I haven't found any coin stores in my area or my travels that I would sell to or recommend that they sell to.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:34 pm

Market Harmony wrote:Ray, it's pretty easy, man. Just take a coin price sheet with you... whether it is blue, grey, red, or off the numismedia site, it doesn't matter... just agree, in advance with the seller, of exactly what the price sheet represents, and then the percent back of the price that you are willing to offer her. Let her know that there is no obligation for her to sell, but you would like to be compensated for your time and effort to go through her stuff and HELP her to find a value of it.

Put the bullion stuff off to the side. That's the easiest stuff to figure and basically a few line items of your purchase sheet. X amount of 90%, Y amount of 40%, Z amount of fine silver, and so on. Put that on it own separate purchase sheet.

For the coins, before you start putting prices on them, separate them into piles of same denomination, then year, then grade. Each pile gets a line on your purchase page. Use the price on your coin price guide and then add it all up. Once you have the final number, then you simply multiply that number by the agreed upon percentage. If she doesn't like the price, then she has the information that you organized for her to use in the future. You are offering her this as a service. So, again, if she doesn't sell, then you still should get something for your effort.

Buying large collections is like eating an elephant... you just have to do it one bite at a time

ps. I'm always looking for new inventory. Feel free to call me if you come across a coin that you need a price on. I'll be happy to be your phone-a-friend

I told her the first step would be to separate everything into type. I am probably not going to be interested in any copper or nickel coins, so would make a lowball offer on the bulk lot without checking for specific numies. If she accepted, fine... then I would just turn around and list them here... something like "lot of fourteen 1877 AU/BU Indian Head Pennies, $50 obo." If she has any 1913 V nickels I might keep one. 8-)
beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:41 pm

We gotta have a contest on this one :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13593
beauanderos

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals