ASE's at and under spot

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

ASE's at and under spot

Postby SilverEye » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:31 pm

Have I tuned into a deal or just being silly? I've picked up a handful of ASE's at spot and one under spot. They are the painted commemoratives, like with the Twin Towers on them. One even came in a fancy box that was covered in cat fur. One was beat up, like it had spent a little time sitting in the street. Another had been gouged with a screwdriver, like somebody was tying to get the paint off quite violently.

Are these all over the place and i just stumbled on to them, or am I a keen buyer? My LCS charges 4.50 over spot, everybody else rounds up to $40 for a shiny ASE.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Re: ASE's at and under spot

Postby tractorman » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:37 pm

Those are not ASEs ... (hint .. google "American Silver Eagles"), they are commemorative dollars or generics.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby justj2k78 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:18 pm

To me, being a "keen buyer" is overrated. Do you like what you got? Are YOU happy with the price? That's all that matters! :D
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby justoneguy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:05 pm

can we see some pics?
that would help to know what you've purchased.
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 97guns » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:09 am

tractorman wrote:Those are not ASEs ... (hint .. google "American Silver Eagles"), they are commemorative dollars or generics.

they are ase's, painted with the twin towers on 2001's. i have some that were bought at spot also, there is also one with a firefighter commemorative
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hades12 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:55 am

They can be found you just have to wait. I have a guy that sales to me at Melt, does not matter to him what it is. So I have gotten ASE's Morgans, or just slick dimes, Just the luck of the draw.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverEye » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:35 pm

They are definitely ASE's, I can see the coin under the paint. I was just wondering if anybody else is picking up these ugly little orphans. Who knows, by the time I get around to selling, they might be a such an oddity that they command a premium. And yes, I'm happy with the price!
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby Induz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:40 pm

They are ASEs. I have bought several of these over the months. If you do not like the paint, having them dipped for a while in acetone helps. Rinse it and pat it dry. Or leave it just as it is. But do not expect to get a premium like the ASE commands.
Induz
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals