Buyers overpaying at auctions

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Buyers overpaying at auctions

Postby exbingoaddict » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:37 pm

It's been awhile since I've went to a scrap, bullion, and coin auction. Getting close to a year probably. Seemed there was too many people willing to overpay for items. 90% silver coin getting bid up higher then it deserves. So, this week I went to a auction. Same story, people willing to pay too high. I did get a little smirk seeing that silver dropped today. Hope their happy with their buys now.

Has anybody else that hits the auctions notice this? Buyers overpaying?
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Re: Buyers overpaying at auctions

Postby dakota1955 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:55 pm

around here they all overpay
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby CU Baker » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:58 pm

I have been at two auctions in the last month and a half. Both times with fellow realcenter ND Farmer. We both agreed at the auctions, that just plain junk silver was going over spot and you had to pick your spot for any numi coins.
Cull indian heads were going nuts,$1.00 to $3.00 bucks. We both figured were should card up a bunch of junk and get it into one of these. Key dates were in the ball park, while SAE's were going for six to eight dollars over spot. Wish we would have had a monster box to sell at the time. :lol: But we had a great time and most likly will do it again.
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Bluegill » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:21 pm

I have been to a quite a few auctions over the years. Estate, auto, antique, farm, glassware, coin, storage unit, you name it. Overpaying buyer infestation at all of them.

You really want to see some insanity, go to the government online auctions...
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby scrapper2010 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:33 pm

Haven't been to one since last Fall. But it was the same story, 90% halves going for $16 a pop, common date silver dollars for $38. There was one guy in particular who was leading the charge. Many people do this to drive away competition, not because they are naive.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:39 pm

eBay is bad. While able to get good deals, bidders don't seem to factor in S&H costs. I'm willing to go over abit if the S&H is reasonable per coin, but still...
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby doug » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:34 pm

One auction I deal with they bid 90% over spot and that is before the 10% buyers premium. :shock:
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Albert » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:50 pm

High quality rare date coins are the only bargains at auctions. No one is willing to pay big bucks for a single coin.
Albert

Postby Thogey » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:32 pm

The last thing I bought at an auction was $135 in wheat cents for $165 + 10%

I sold a bunch here and the rest locally. It was a good score.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:59 pm

I love auctions. I L-O-V-E auctions! I go to at least one a week. From time to time, I am the coin guy, but mostly I see stuff go too high. I do well on pennies, anything foreign, and anything small. Sometimes I get a 10-20% discount. My big scores are on old "new stock" stuff like toy railroad tracks, model cars, board games. If its wrapped in plastic - I'm interested.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Albert wrote:High quality rare date coins are the only bargains at auctions. No one is willing to pay big bucks for a single coin.

Spot on. In our area, we see common morgans average condition go @ $30-40 regularly. Folks overpay on the common. Now if a GSA 1881cc is auctioned.....you can bet it will be sold at well under greysheet.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals