If you have to have neat stacks...

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

If you have to have neat stacks...

Postby ggg » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:49 am

Howdy all. I know there are a gazillion ways to store your stacks of coppers (and nickels). But I have to have mine neat and organized. Not only do the stacks have to be in rolls, but the rolls have to be in boxes, and those boxes have to be stackable. I just ordered some perfect boxes for this from Wizard Coin Supply. If you buy in bulk, the boxes are only a buck each. Well worth a dollar for the ultra-organizational stackers out there.
Attachments
wizard.jpg
wizard.jpg (3.69 KiB) Viewed 509 times
ggg
Penny Sorter Member

Re: If you have to have neat stacks...

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:05 am

I get the boxes for free from the banks. Try bringing in some rolls without a box and mention you have some more at home.

Sorted coin gets stored in plastic totes. I have to roll all the rejects so no time to roll the keepers. Too much risk for me in keeping good bullion coin rolled - someone (like me) might take it to the bank accidentally! Stored in labeled bags there is no chance of confusion.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby ggg » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:17 am

JadeDragon wrote:I get the boxes for free from the banks.

I knew I should have asked the RC folks about the boxes before I bought some. I will give my bank a try. (Just to see if they will give me some). Can't have too many boxes. Next time, I'm going to use the knowledge and experience of the RC folks first. I will just chalk this one up to a "rookie learning opportunity".
ggg
Penny Sorter Member

Postby barrytrot » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:24 am

Don't despair though, those boxes from Wizard are "brand new" and therefore considerably more rigid, etc. than the used boxes you would likely get at the bank. So you may want to stick with buying "quality" :)
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby rexmerdinus » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:38 am

JadeDragon wrote:I get the boxes for free from the banks. Try bringing in some rolls without a box and mention you have some more at home.

Sorted coin gets stored in plastic totes. I have to roll all the rejects so no time to roll the keepers. Too much risk for me in keeping good bullion coin rolled - someone (like me) might take it to the bank accidentally! Stored in labeled bags there is no chance of confusion.

Yeah I don't want to risk taking the good stuff to a bank and cashing it in, so here's what I do: 500 coppers per 1-qt freezer bag, and 5 of those per 1-gal freezer bag, all taped up nice and tight to make a nice compact 2500 coin brick--they stack nicely, count easily, and I don't have to waste time re-rolling them.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby fb101 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:50 am

yes. boxes for free is better.
I had a chance once to borrow a royal sovereign coin counter and frankly I think it's faster not to use the counter if you're rolling.
I bought a couple of the plastic tubes they use and now I just measure fifty - the standard is it must come all the way to the top
or above;
Then twist and crimp, and fill a bank box you just emptied.
I like rexmerdinus Idea also though.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ggg » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:01 pm

rexmerdinus wrote:they stack nicely, count easily, and I don't have to waste time re-rolling

Thank you rexmerdinus!!!!! I tried your cool idea of using bags instead of rolls. What a great idea. I did a quick test using a small bag that is made for storing slabbed coins and it works perfect. I know this forum is for copper, but I was rolling nickels at the time and this is a one pound bag of Canadians. I'm sure I will save thousands of hours by not rolling everything. I will have to check how many coppers fit into this size bag.
Attachments
RC 07.jpg
RC 07.jpg (119.9 KiB) Viewed 465 times
ggg
Penny Sorter Member

Postby fasTT » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:53 am

I sell boxes for half that prices in lots of 50. You have to pay actual freight.

Check out coincanada.ca for price breakdowns.
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jacer333 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:35 am

I recently switched my hoard into heavy duty plastic coin bags. They weren't cheap, but I am happy to pay for the peace of mind that my coins are sealed in durable bags that can be moved fairly easily if need be. I like being able to keep an accurate count of my pile as I fill each bag with $50 exactly.
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BCD11 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:41 am

ggg, and anyone else for that matter,

The pennies and halves I sort come loose in brand new Brinks boxes. If anyone would like these I'll be happy to break them down (unfold them) and send them to you if you'll cover the shipping.

These are great for storing other things besides coins. But, I'm to the point where I now put them in the recycle bin as the banks and CU don't want them back.

Let me know if you want some.
BCD11
Penny Sorter Member

Postby theo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:10 am

BCD11 wrote:ggg, and anyone else for that matter,

The pennies and halves I sort come loose in brand new Brinks boxes. If anyone would like these I'll be happy to break them down (unfold them) and send them to you if you'll cover the shipping.

These are great for storing other things besides coins. But, I'm to the point where I now put them in the recycle bin as the banks and CU don't want them back.

Let me know if you want some.

+1 These are great in that they can be re-closed. I store my nickel stash in them as well.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing