Finding Jewelry in lost baggage

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Finding Jewelry in lost baggage

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Another untapped PM source it seems.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Finding Jewelry in lost baggage

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:14 pm

The couple who own the antique store have been on Storage Wars a lot.

It is interesting how all these shows now popping up have a common theme i.e. the thrill of the hunt and getting something for nothing or close to it.

I'm sorry if I sound so cynical but all this sounds more like an election promise than reality! :roll: I'm including both parties when I say this!

Unfortunately while very entertaining T.V. it lulls people into a false sense of reality that you can actually do all this and make a good living doing so.

I'm not saying you can't make money; there are lots of folks on Realcent that are living this dream in some way. But the old adage is true and will always be true: "It takes money, to make money!"
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hobo finds » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:43 pm

Yep I best most bags are full of dirty clothes!
hobo finds

Postby John_doe » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:09 pm

honestly how many people fill up a bag full of jewelry and go on an airplane. must be some very trusting human beings. I can see 1-2 peices in the occasional bag, but this seems like they are overhyping it a bit. if not more power to them.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:54 pm

John_doe wrote:honestly how many people fill up a bag full of jewelry and go on an airplane. must be some very trusting human beings. I can see 1-2 peices in the occasional bag, but this seems like they are overhyping it a bit. if not more power to them.

I'm guessing the lot this guy was showing off was culled from multiple bags. I guess Airports have different regulations than say, Storage Locker Auctions?
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:36 pm

My son told me about this show.. I told him the producers of storage wars figured out a cheaper easier way to stage a show... No need to fill up a bunch of storage lockers with big heavy crap, now they just need to go to a thrift shop and buy a bunch of clothes and stuff them in a suitcase along with a few goodies...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby John_doe » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:39 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:My son told me about this show.. I told him the producers of storage wars figured out a cheaper easier way to stage a show... No need to fill up a bunch of storage lockers with big heavy crap, now they just need to go to a thrift shop and buy a bunch of clothes and stuff them in a suitcase along with a few goodies...

:lol: well put.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:33 am

Diggin4copper wrote:My son told me about this show.. I told him the producers of storage wars figured out a cheaper easier way to stage a show... No need to fill up a bunch of storage lockers with big heavy crap, now they just need to go to a thrift shop and buy a bunch of clothes and stuff them in a suitcase along with a few goodies...

I suspect that most of these shows are staged. You might find one or two items, occasionally... but some of the scores they supposedly find? No way. The unstaged portions are the parts where they show others winning bids, or themselves when they get skunked.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:13 am

I know that whenever I travel with expensive items, I always abandon them, don't put my name on it, and never come back to claim it.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:34 am

AGgressive Metal wrote:I know that whenever I travel with expensive items, I always abandon them, don't put my name on it, and never come back to claim it.

LOL! :lol:

99% of these silly tv shows are an insult to our intelligence. Don't waste your precious time watching this garbage... any of them.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby chris6084 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:32 am

I'm sure most abandond storage units are filled with trash. I'm sure most people clean out anything of value before they stop paying the bill. Who would really have a storage unit with thousands or tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff and not be able to pay the bill? I would imagine the only time that happens is when an elderly person dies and has a unit that they never told anybody about, so the family is unaware of those assets. Then what percentage of abandoned units would that be? Less than 2% would be my guess. Then, don't you think storage unit owners would cherry pick those units before they get sold? Wouldn't you if you owned a storage facility? Anyways, I still find these shows entertaining, I just don't believe the 'reality' of it.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:04 pm

I'll admit that the guy finding a 14k gold bracelet in a pile of junk seems like it could be legit. It looked like he had 3 big ziplock bags and managed to find a couple 14k items. When you consider that the average flier is a little higher wealth than the average person in general, I could believe this particular example from the Youtube trailer. But what about all the other times you pay $500 for a bag and its nothing but costume jewelry and base-metal timex watches? It seems like a total crap-shoot to me, not a serious way to make money.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby hobo finds » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:12 pm

how about a ZZ Top fav. Pearl Neclkace!
hobo finds