PM Dip

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: PM Dip

Postby Thogey » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:21 pm

Engineer wrote:
Thogey wrote:The silver market looks wierd right now.

Nice spike. Somebody must have needed to cover some shorts, and I'd bet that spike triggered a ton of $32.50 sell orders.

Did the guy on the other end of the 32.5 sell just jump off a tall building in Hong Kong?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby inflationhawk » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:26 pm

Where are you getting your quotes?
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:27 pm

inflationhawk wrote:Where are you getting your quotes?

http://www.kitco.com/charts/livesilver.html
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby inflationhawk » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:29 pm

It happened so fast I never saw it...wasn't looking at the tick-by-tick chart. Yeah, that certainly looks fishy.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:37 pm

I'm guessing they cranked up the HFTs to get the price up high enough to trigger stops. The question is whether they got their quota of shorts covered for the day, or if they'll need to keep buying.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:43 pm

Engineer wrote:I'm guessing they cranked up the HFTs to get the price up high enough to trigger stops. The question is whether they got their quota of shorts covered for the day, or if they'll need to keep buying.

I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff.. So what's the point of doing that?

Or did that venture fail, and there's now a
'used to be rich Chinaman" Who is now a stain on Hong Kong pavement?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby tractorman » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:47 pm

We've seen crazy spikes like that before that turned out to be mistakes in the data.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:50 pm

tractorman wrote:We've seen crazy spikes like that before that turned out to be mistakes in the data.

The thing is though, there are a couple steps on the down side of the spike. :?:
Thogey

Postby tractorman » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:04 pm

Good point Thogey. I'll have to file this in my "I have no idea" bin ... if I can find room!
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:54 pm

:?

silver.gif
silver.gif (16.82 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:11 pm

The response appears over amplified because the scale is small - less than a buck top to bottom, but nonetheless, it's a funky pattern today. Something is going on - I was about to comment on it myself when I saw your post. Some HFT going on after hours tonight, but pushing it UP - and after a rather bizarre day of chutes and ladders. The "London Trader" was earlier commenting that Eastern buyers have learned to play the HFT game and are socking in the physical gold by the hundreds of tons on the dips, and silver proportionally.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:34 pm

68Camaro wrote:... The "London Trader" was earlier commenting that Eastern buyers have learned to play the HFT game and are socking in the physical gold by the hundreds of tons on the dips, and silver proportionally.

It's only a matter of time before that trade becomes so fool-proof that it no longer will work, either. Once the word is out that there is a way to beat the game, the game changes and the late adopters become a meal to the masters.

Keep on keeping on, and you won't have to worry about these mini ups and downs. It's a psychotic market. Predicting its mood will be detrimental to your wallet... or your stack.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby scrapper2010 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:03 am

Whatever that weird pattern was, it is continuing into today. Looks like at every little time interval there are tons of up and down moves. Never seen that before. Any chart experts that know what the heck is going on?
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:07 am

It's a result of "high frequency trading" - computer program trades where they bid and cancel at high rates to cause the market to move.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby SoFa » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:10 pm

These quick moves are a problem for the silver conspiracy writers as they don't know which article to publish (the one about manipulation or should they dust off the one where it says the manipulators took the day off?).

Some interesting reading in my opinion:
http://thefundamentalview.blogspot.com. ... ht-on.html
Seems King World News doesn't like to be quoted in some cases.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:52 pm

Hmmm, there are at least two types of ID'd manipulation, which are obviously present in the data. HFT and naked shorting. Both capable of affecting the market differently.

Both sides of this debate fail in attempting to definitively attribute cause when they can't be sure what the cause is - both sides are speculating. So both sides have to be taken with a grain of salt - there is hyperbole to had everywhere (even in the link just posted). Both sides exaggerate, and you have to be discerning in what you believe, and don't believe.

But the market itself - regardless of who is doing what, or why, it is clearly being pulled in different directions by large powers with unknown specific motives (other than some type of advantage, as one doesn't participate without seeking some advantage). A natural market doesn't behave these ways.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:00 pm

Regardless of who or why, just in today's action alone you can see specific patterns that represent (at different times) both HFT and shorting action, in a single day.

silver.gif
silver.gif (18.4 KiB) Viewed 295 times
68Camaro

Postby Engineer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:03 pm

Just a guess...but I'll call a sharp drop at the NY Globex open.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rexmerdinus » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:20 pm

nice call! I can't figure out how to post the gif, but it dropped!
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:40 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
barrytrot wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Stock market futures are dragging PMs down... gold is down $50 and silver is down $1.70. If the stock market drops some more, it's going to pull PMs down with it. If you're going to buy, buy small and keep lots of powder dry for when it goes lower.

I'm going to load up more fake silver with derivatives. It's been pretty easy money the last SEVERAL times this happened.

You have big gonads Barry. I'll stick with physical. Good luck to you.

Derivatives. That word makes me sick when I hear that....is it really a good idea to invest in these, considering what's happened in the financial world because of them? Not a good idea in my book! Give me physical holdings ANYDAY :!:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SoFa » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:54 pm

If there is silver manipulation, who's getting hurt by it?
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:22 pm

SoFa wrote:If there is silver manipulation, who's getting hurt by it?

The mining companies and shareholders... for one.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby theo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:31 am

SoFa wrote:If there is silver manipulation, who's getting hurt by it?

Also, anybody who comes to the conclusion that PMs are "too volatile" and instead invests in U.S. Treasuries.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals