Sterling Silver...is it worth it?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Sterling Silver...is it worth it?

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:58 pm

I've been wondering about Sterling Silver. Is it a good deal or not? I don't know much about it, except that it does contain some degree of value to it. I usually think of things like bracelets, necklaces, kitchenware, etc.

Good idea to buy some if one comes across it? Thoughts?
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Sterling Silver...is it worth it?

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Read the Thrift store thread...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:13 pm

If you can buy under 85 percent of melt its worth it.It terms of strictly scrap it will sell at about a 15% discount.An average sterling dinner fork is and ounce and a half ,thats 92.5 percent pure silver...and I've bought them for as little as a quarter-always keep an eye out for cheap silver! Of source many silver items can be worth over the melt value as well!
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby avidbrandy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:22 pm

I love sterling. I've started a sterling collection. Silverware, sterling platters, sterling pocketwatch, sterling bookmark. It's my favorite for holding long-term because I think of them as household items instead of investments or money, and I'm more inclined not to resell them.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Robarons » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:51 pm

At $31 oz for .999 Silver a gram of .925 sterling at full melt is $.92/Gram. Of course you will not get full melt for sterling unless its crazy cool, collectible or name brand.

20% Under spot is a fair market value for sterling $.92 x .8= is around .74 cents a gram

So if .74 cents isnt worth your time, then yes Sterling is junk. But you will find its probably is worth the hassle!
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:29 pm

Good to know! I may just have to be on the look out for some Sterling! And yes, I did read the Sterling Thread :P
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ozcopper » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:16 am

I often pick up sterling silver for way under spot at antique centers. Just look for old stock that has been there for a few years and it will often be underpriced!
Formally copperbullion on the old forum.
ozcopper
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals