First two weeks of hoarding

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

First two weeks of hoarding

Postby CtrlAltBernanke » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:45 pm

So I wanted to just share my first two weeks or so of hoarding with everybody and especially for those who are also new to this and like to to lurk. My first two weeks didn't go exactly as planned due to me not realizing how time consuming this hobby is but I have learned a lot already and have scored a small bounty.

I'll start with copper pennies since this is the copper forum. I've picked up $250 from my local bank and have only had a chance to go through to boxes so far. I'd say 99% of it is copper. There were less than 20 zinc pennies and about every other roll had a wheat and Canadian penny in it.

I haven't had a chance to go through the rest of the pennies yet because I had to pick up $5k worth of half dollars to go through. The first $1K I went through didn't have a single piece of silver in it so one afternoon I decided to get creative and picked up $140 worth of half dollars just out of the blue and there were five 40%. Not bad I'd say. I'm almost done going through my second $1K of half dollars and still haven't found a thing. If I don't find any silver in the rest of the half dollar boxes I will still hunt for silver but through more creative means. Last night I decided to do a little shopping on ebay just once because I plan to continue to search for copper and Silver via my banks. I believe my ebay experience went well. I picked up four silver quarters for $20 and because my silver count is so small at the moment I'm keeping everything in a mason jar for now. As for my copper I'm keeping all of it in ten pound zip lock bags for now and storing them in my footlocker until it is full.

I have learned many tricks along the way so I can become more efficient once I get though all my half dollars. I also hope to learn more as the I continue this. I have also learned that if you wear your National Guard uniform when dropping off coins they treat you rather well. :)
CtrlAltBernanke
Penny Collector Member

Re: First two weeks of hoarding

Postby Beervestor » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:32 pm

wow thats pretty damn good on ur pennies...did u orader boxes or just go in and ask for them?>
Beervestor

Postby OtusLotus » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:43 pm

kewl screen name!!!

Nothing like jumping in with both feet.. I wouldn't expect your copper success to continue at the rate you have had... but if you do, don't tell anyone about your "tricks" b/c you don't want to screw up a good thing...

There are many threads on success rates of half dollar hunting.. to many it has become frustrating due to the minimal amounts found and the hassles of dumping them..

I don't know if the Zip lock bags are going to be a viable resource of storing your cents.. I think they may rip or tear easily, and then it would be a nightmare to pick up...

Whatever you do.. good luck in your searches..
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:09 am

Like the name.. Nice!

It took me awhile to get the process down. It's so seemless now it's like I don't spend anytime at all dumping or picking up. I just do it on the way home. I'm just getting free BoA coin bags and storing my pennies. I use to use buckets but, ran out of free ones.
Don't let skunks get you down. I had a 2 month run a few months back... blah!
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CtrlAltBernanke » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:37 am

I ordered the pennies and the people were very friendly until they had to lift all of them including the half dollars. I'm taking a break from ordering from that branch but I still go in there to exchange money so I can build a good relationship. I do think pennies is going to be my thing though and have silver be a second priority. Forgot to mention that my company uses Brinks and I asked the armored car guy which banks Brinks does not service. He said PNC and Chase so I just ordered three boxes of pennies from Chase.
CtrlAltBernanke
Penny Collector Member

Postby BCD11 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:48 am

CtrlAltBernanke wrote:Forgot to mention that my company uses Brinks and I asked the armored car guy which banks Brinks does not service. He said PNC and Chase so I just ordered three boxes of pennies from Chase.

Any possibility of somehow using your company's Brinks delivery/pick up for your CRH? :idea:
BCD11
Penny Sorter Member

Postby CtrlAltBernanke » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:18 pm

Yeah I thought about that. I've already got people at work wondering why I buy a roll of nickels almost everyday that I've started this.
CtrlAltBernanke
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing