25th anniversary ASE set question

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

25th anniversary ASE set question

Postby robroy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:45 am

Hopefully we can stand a question about these sets.

I've have an unopened box of 5 sets that are eligible for 1st strike status at PCGS sitting in my safe and I've been thinking that it would be nice to offload it. So have I waited to long or should I continue to sit on the sets? I'm just looking for opinions.

At this point I don't really need the money, but it would be nice to have some extra space in my safe.
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Re: 25th anniversary ASE set question

Postby everything » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Over at Kitco, as well as coin community they have a long running and opinionated thread going on these. I had mine sent in for grading, hoping for a grading miracle, intending on flipping, but I still have 4 of the 5 sets. It's a tough decision on these, but with the two 2nd most rare silver ASE, it makes it tougher, but should be easier. In any case, I plan on keeping two perfect sets long term. My biggest worry is probably that the coins might develop milk spots and lose some value that way.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby No82s » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:28 pm

Sell them and stack with the profits!
No82s
Penny Collector Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:22 am

If you like them, hold them. Something else you'd prefer to have? Then sell them, take the cash and use it (or trade for it). If you bought them from the mint for orginal costs, you'll see get a profit on them. They peaked right after release as buys wanted them the most were willing to pay up. Now the market has settled as collectors have bought what they wanted. Again, you can still profit if you bought at mint costs.

Grading is a dice roll. They come back 69's you may break even or lower your profit after costs. 70s and you're in the money.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals