Am I the best silver market timer ever?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Am I the best silver market timer ever?

Postby aaa30040 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:23 am

I am wrong 100% of the time. I have bought a little silver 5 times in the last 3 years and on each occasion the price of silver is lower by the time my purchase arrives in the mail.

PS - I have a package being delivered today and the silver chart is in freefall.

I guess I could start a newsletter and charge a lot, just be sure to do the opposite of what I say.
buying wheat pennies at $0.03 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
buying copper pennies at $0.014 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
aaa30040
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Am I the best silver market timer ever?

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:33 am

Very difficult to time, as has been said many times. Market seems to be selling off this morning, broadly, and people with PMs will be having to cover margin calls - selling PMs to do so. (Not to mention an opportune time for the Cartel to attack.) Buyers will eventually come in to buy cheap metal. I've got some fresh powder dry.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby dan53 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:01 am

Its funny the way things work. When silver sky rocketed to around $49.00, it created a sensation. Sensations capture the attention of the public and people become enamored with whatever is creating the sensation. Its this condition that prompts people to buy when in fact the time is perfect for selling.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SoFa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:19 am

Wait till it's cheap. Then buy.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:42 am

SoFa wrote:Wait till it's cheap. Then buy.

Asking a bullion dealer if it is a good time to buy silver is akin to asking a realtor if it is a good time to buy a house...It's always time to buy-
If down in price it is at a "discount" or "oversold" (whatever that means).
If up, it is only going higher (because that's what the crystal ball said when given a good rubbing) so hurry before you miss the train.
Commissions, spreads and margin are always being sought so always DYOD.
Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rsk1963 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:50 am

dont feel bad, we all have done this.

I inked a deal for almost a K between 2 places. sunday :(

chin up keep buying in smallish quantities unless the market gets rocked, then buy a little more than normal. your cost/dollar average will eventually win out.
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverEye » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:22 am

Are you looking to trade, or to invest? If you want to trade, don't take physical delivery. There's too much other stuff to worry about; shipping eats profits, could get lost in transit, counterfeits, etc. Plus you're money is tied up while you wait for the metal to arrive, with no way to liquidate if price turns worse. There's nothing wrong with trading, but don't confuse it with investing. Trade the ETF's or futures. The spread (difference between buy price and sell price) is several dollars per ounce for physical, but only pennies for ETF's and futures.

I invest in silver. When I buy and it goes down, I buy more. My sell date is decades away, and I just want to preserve my purchasing power.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals