GM to build 2013 Cadillac XTS in China this year

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

GM to build 2013 Cadillac XTS in China this year

Postby Kurr » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:59 am

General Motors Co. announced Monday at the Beijing auto show that it will begin building its all-new 2013 Cadillac XTS sedan in China this year and later will build the ELR luxury electric coupe in the country.

The production announcements mark a significant step in GM's push for Cadillac to become a global brand.

"Introducing the XTS is part of our strategy of adding one new model per year to our Cadillac lineup in China through 2016 to address the needs of luxury car buyers nationwide," GM Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson said in a statement.

ELR technology details, production location and its Chinese introduction date will be announced at a later time, according to a news release. The XTS will be available in the fourth quarter in China and will be manufactured by Shanghai General Motors, a partnership between GM and SAIC Motor Corp.

The announcement follows a report earlier this month in The Detroit News that GM was expected to announce at the auto show that it would build XTS in China later this year. Joel Ewanick, GM's global chief marketing officer, also told The News that the all-new Cadillac ATS, a compact luxury sedan, and the popular midsize CTS sedan will eventually be built in China.

Ewanick said GM will build its brand in China and then Europe to grow the brand over the next decade.

Currently, only the Cadillac SLS, an extended length luxury sedan, is built in China. Cadillac imports the CTS, SRX crossover and Escalade from plants in the United States and Mexico.

GM began selling Cadillacs in China in 2004. Sales have grown from essentially zero at the end of 2007 and early 2008 to 30,000 last year. Its 2011 sales were up 72.8 percent from 2010.

Cadillac also expects to double its dealer network of about 50 in China in the next year or two, Cadillac spokesman David Caldwell previously has told The News.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z1stKe2iT0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors

The late-2000s financial crisis and late-2000s recession exacerbated GM's pre-existing financial and corporate culture problems and pushed the corporation into a period of crisis. Two successive U.S. presidential administrations wrestled with the question of what role the U.S. government should or should not play in emergent intervention in the automotive industry, most especially at GM. In December 2008, U.S. President George W. Bush agreed to a $13.4 billion bailout for General Motors; within months, an additional $39 billion was added by the Barack Obama administration. Both presidents have stated that despite counterarguments presented to them in which the creative destruction of capitalism should be allowed to run its course, they chose intervention for GM in order to prevent collapse of the North American segment of the automotive industry and the economic sequelae that it was expected to have throughout the supply chain, such as huge job losses, credit market freezing, and loss of industrial base.

Well THAT was money well spent :evil: :evil: :evil:
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: GM to build 2013 Cadillac XTS in China this year

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:46 pm

I just bought the first Ford of my life the other day.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Bluegill » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:27 pm

I own a post bail-out GMC pickup. Big disappointment. This is the 5th Chevy/GMC truck I've owned that I bought new. Big disappointment...

We can sugar coat it all we want. That was a UAW bail out. Plain and simple.

All that talk about GM going away and the economic catastrophe was B.S. fear mongering. There is no way in hell Chevrolet, the biggest most iconic auto brand in the history of mankind was going to disappear and go away. Same thing with Cadillac.

A bankruptcy would of dissolved the bad debt. The company would have been parted out and auctioned off. The assets going to the highest bidders. With Chevy alone, the name, patents, tooling and everything else would have been restructured into a lean mean independent auto company. Same thing with Cadillac, Pontiac and probably Saturn.

4 new independent American auto companies on the scene. Aggressively competing for market share. It would have been the best thing to ever happen to the auto industry, and the consumer.

Even if they did just go away, the demand for autos would not have gone away. The other makes would have filled the void with increased production. Keeping the suppliers intact.

Nope it was a UAW bail-out. To preserve the same unsustainable obscene pension plan and other company strangling legacy costs.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:43 pm

Bluegill wrote:I own a post bail-out GMC pickup. Big disappointment. This is the 5th Chevy/GMC truck I've owned that I bought new. Big disappointment...

We can sugar coat it all we want. That was a UAW bail out. Plain and simple.

All that talk about GM going away and the economic catastrophe was B.S. fear mongering. There is no way in hell Chevrolet, the biggest most iconic auto brand in the history of mankind was going to disappear and go away. Same thing with Cadillac.

A bankruptcy would of dissolved the bad debt. The company would have been parted out and auctioned off. The assets going to the highest bidders. With Chevy alone, the name, patents, tooling and everything else would have been restructured into a lean mean independent auto company. Same thing with Cadillac, Pontiac and probably Saturn.

4 new independent American auto companies on the scene. Aggressively competing for market share. It would have been the best thing to ever happen to the auto industry, and the consumer.

Even if they did just go away, the demand for autos would not have gone away. The other makes would have filled the void with increased production. Keeping the suppliers intact.

Nope it was a UAW bail-out. To preserve the same unsustainable obscene pension plan and other company strangling legacy costs.

Bingo.

I've always been a Ford guy, Mustangs, F-150's, etc. Before the bailout I'd have bought a Chevy if it was something I'd wanted (2003 Camaro SS maybe), but after - nothing, no way, never, ever, ever.

I'll buy a Nissan before I buy a Chevy. And I'd NEVER buy a Chrysler product either........did that ONCE.......huge hunk of crap.

1st Ford -287,000 miles in 13 years, less than $3k in repairs- (Clutch, water pump, fuel pump, radiator, thermostat). Mustangs - no problems with the 1993 or the 2005 GTs...and current 2004 F-150 Lariat Supercrew - 128,000 miles - zero issues.

Buy Ford.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby sparechange » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:44 pm

I kinda wonder if China has the infrastructure to support all these new vehicles that are being built. Usually see roads crowded with people, bikes, scooters, not many vehicles except trucks. Maybe they can use the interest off the loans they've made to us to build some new roads.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:13 pm

Made in China. That just screams quality. :lol:

Some comments overheard at the local China Cadillac service department

I opened my door and it just fell off. Why are the hinges made out of plastic?

I tried to change a flat tire, but the lug wrench striped out while trying to remove the lug nuts.

What are these so called leather seats made from? Rice paper?
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby copperhead57 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:45 pm

This is another reason why I'm keeping my reliable 1966 Chevrolet pick-up.
Copperhead57
copperhead57
Penny Collector Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions