got englehard and JM bars for spot +2.25!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

got englehard and JM bars for spot +2.25!

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:24 pm

An LCS had Englehard and JM 1oz bars - in original plastic - for spot (@$30.50) or so plus $2.25. Granted, sales tax adds 6%, but I'd say that's a pretty good score considering no shipping costs or wait time.

Moral of the story is, don't do 100% of your price shopping online.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Re: got englehard and JM bars for spot +2.25!

Postby theshoenlebens » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:32 pm

So where are some coinshops in Cincy? or northern Kentucky? ( I know, Commonwealth LOL I'll pay you a visit this summer)) I go to Reds games and I have season passes to Kings island so I'll be there on and off this summer. There are no shop around here and just want to go and look around in one once...never have been. SMH

Chris
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:03 pm

There are three main (multi-location) coin businesses in Cincinnati:

1) Coins +, the oldest - locations Downtown, Northgate Mall, and Florence. Its owned by a collection of partners so your experience may vary by location and who is working that day, but by and large I'd say the Downtown location has the best and deepest assortment of numismatic coins and are the best at sight grading and the most friendly towards collectors interests compared to any other shop in the region. They are the only store that will mess with stamps, baseball cards, fossils, arrow-heads, and non-coin stuff like that. This is where estate lawyers and bankers downtown generally take things to be appraised and the Cincinnati coin club meets upstairs. Honest.

2) Cincinnati Rare Coin Galleries - locations in Hyde Park, Florence, Fairfield, Milford. These guys are the biggest movers of bullion in dollars and ounces and where you will find the best deals on standard bullion. I think they are owned by partners like Coins +, but generally there is a single head guy at each location rather than a rotation. They also have a radio show on 550 AM once a week, "Coin Talk". They know what they are doing, but are slightly less interested in working with the hole-filling hobbyist than the bullion or graded coin/note investment buyer. Honest.

3) JS Gold & Coin - JS stands for John Saylor, a convicted felon who started a chain of gold and coin buying shops a few years ago with inheritance money. Basically a glorified "we buy gold" operation that takes advantage of people through mass advertising. They don't really sell retail and wouldn't have any knowledge to offer you if they did.

One time they sold me 8 ounces of silver for the price of 7 by accident. I noticed a couple days later and out of honesty sent them a check for one ounce in the mail even though they would never have known - I got no "thank you" or anything, they just cashed it. This was before I knew about the multiple felonies and that the guy literally knew nothing about coins.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby theshoenlebens » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:15 pm

THANKS. Yeah, figured the JS was bad just by the ads I see. I'll have to check out 1 and 2.
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals