Hoarding ratios

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Hoarding ratios

Postby My2Cents » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm trying to come up with a good ratio of gold to silver. I feel like I'm behind on the gold, but it's just sooo easy to get the silver and it doesn't bust the bank when I do. I know that some people like one PM over the other, but I like to diversify as much as I can to spread the money around and not put it all in one basket. Copper, Silver, Gold, Paladium

What's your allocation ratio?
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - Zero" Voltaire
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Hoarding ratios

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Most people feel like they are behind on gold. Let's face it, gold is much more expensive.

I currently have a 30:70 gold to silver ratio. I'm currently trying to bring it to 40:60.

Since the bulk of my wealth is in the form of G and S, I hoard Cu as a fun hobby more than anything else.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby My2Cents » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:42 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Most people feel like they are behind on gold. Let's face it, gold is much more expensive.

I currently have a 30:70 gold to silver ratio. I'm currently trying to bring it to 40:60.

Since the bulk of my wealth is in the form of G and S, I hoard Cu as a fun hobby more than anything else.

I'm not in front of my pile at the moment, but I figure I'm around 1 oz gold for every 50 oz of silver. I'd LIKE to get that to about 5 oz per 50 silver, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

I agree... copper is just a time killer for me right now. Maybe my grandkids will reap the $20/lb from that long after I'm dead.
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby creshka46 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:43 pm

Currently I'm 1:0, unless you count my wedding ring :lol:
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:15 pm

Just to clarify, are we talking about a ratio of dollar value to dollar value or ounces to ounces? I don't have enough money for much gold right now, so my ratio is pretty heavily slanted toward silver. I would echo the sentiment that copper and nickel for me are more hobbies than serious investments. I'm curious if anyone owns any platinum. I've been interested in trying to get a 1/10 oz or two and am curious as to what people think about it. Most posts here are about gold and silver, so I'm curious what people think about platinum (and, to a lesser extent, palladium).
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby My2Cents » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:14 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Just to clarify, are we talking about a ratio of dollar value to dollar value or ounces to ounces? I don't have enough money for much gold right now, so my ratio is pretty heavily slanted toward silver. I would echo the sentiment that copper and nickel for me are more hobbies than serious investments. I'm curious if anyone owns any platinum. I've been interested in trying to get a 1/10 oz or two and am curious as to what people think about it. Most posts here are about gold and silver, so I'm curious what people think about platinum (and, to a lesser extent, palladium).

I was more referring to the ratio of ounces of gold to ounces of silver. Mine being about 1:50
The only platinum I own is whatever I find when I'm metal detecting here in Okinawa. I find a few Pt rings, but usually sell them to ARA about once a year along with my gold rings and silver I find as well. It's not a bunch, but I usually net a few thousand dollars when it's all said and done.
On the coinage side of Platinum, I don't own any, but do own some palladium in the form of 2005 and 2007 palladium maples. Nothing fancy I guess, but I got those when the price was a LOT less than it is now. Just something else to save for the grandkids I guess.
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby tractorman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:58 pm

The gold-silver ratio fluctuates, sometimes one seems like a better buy over the other. I think lots of folks watch the ratio to determine which metal to target. Silver was the buy when everything started going crazy in late-2008. The run-up in silver spot pushed gold to the clear buy in early-2011. The ratio seems to have settled down to the level it was pre-2008. Its worth keeping an eye on, in my opinion.

tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pmbug » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:38 am

A good ratio is one that allows you to transport everything you need to transport in one trip. $.02
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby pennypanner » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:35 pm

I'm working on having one ounce of gold for every fifty ounces of silver. I need another one and a half ounces of gold to make that happen. I've been culling copper cents and selling most of them. Hopefully I'll have sold enough of them to get my ratio like I want it by the end of the year. Of course I weaken ever now and then and buy some silver which just means I'll have to buy more gold. Oh well.......
pennypanner

Postby Mossy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:52 pm

pmbug wrote:A good ratio is one that allows you to transport everything you need to transport in one trip. $.02

And still be able to carry a firearm.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby H2SO4 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:37 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Just to clarify, are we talking about a ratio of dollar value to dollar value or ounces to ounces? I don't have enough money for much gold right now, so my ratio is pretty heavily slanted toward silver. I would echo the sentiment that copper and nickel for me are more hobbies than serious investments. I'm curious if anyone owns any platinum. I've been interested in trying to get a 1/10 oz or two and am curious as to what people think about it. Most posts here are about gold and silver, so I'm curious what people think about platinum (and, to a lesser extent, palladium).

I love platinum! I try and keep my Au:Pt a little heavy on the Pt side. The fractional American Eagles are a good bet, in my opinion. They are no longer making them (collectible/numi value) and its a easily recognized (traded/sold) and increase your market because of the lower price per coin. These factors along with the relatively low price of Pt right now makes me want to buy them whenever I have some extra cash.
Dont even get me started on the proof Pt Eagles! Love those things!
H2SO4
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Albert » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:54 pm

1:100
Albert

Postby SilverEye » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:11 pm

Sometimes my LCS has gold they let go at spot. Just the little guys, so it's much more affordable. I have a couple Mexican Dos Pesos and Suisse 0.5 gram bars.

1 gram of gold costs less than 2 oz of silver, so it is affordable even for us poor guys. Nobody says you have to save up and only buy gold an ounce at a time.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:54 pm

H2SO4 wrote:

I love platinum! I try and keep my Au:Pt a little heavy on the Pt side. The fractional American Eagles are a good bet, in my opinion. They are no longer making them (collectible/numi value) and its a easily recognized (traded/sold) and increase your market because of the lower price per coin. These factors along with the relatively low price of Pt right now makes me want to buy them whenever I have some extra cash.

The only problems with platinum is that the general public is not familiar with it... which could present a problem if you want to sell or barter with it in a SHTF situation. That is the main reason I don't own any.

Most average sheeple know what gold and silver are and what they look like.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby My2Cents » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:35 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
H2SO4 wrote:

The only problems with platinum is that the general public is not familiar with it... which could present a problem if you want to sell or barter with it in a SHTF situation. That is the main reason I don't own any.

Agreed.... but I should probably still hold some anyway. While it's not that well known, just keep your Pt ratio low in comparison to other PMs. I might have to start stocking up on some 1/10 oz Platinum eagles.
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:05 pm

I'm more bullish on silver right now. I'm 1:100.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby H2SO4 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:17 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:The only problems with platinum is that the general public is not familiar with it... which could present a problem if you want to sell or barter with it in a SHTF situation. That is the main reason I don't own any.

I hear what your saying with un-educated people not knowing what it is. However, I dont put much faith in the general public and dont count on them having what I want to trade for my platinum. in a SHTF, i agree- silver and gold will be best. BUT its always good to diversify. If I can bet that platinum will increase in value AND get awesome/collector coins in the process- I am happy :D
H2SO4
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mossy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:18 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote: The only problems with platinum is that the general public is not familiar with it... which could present a problem if you want to sell or barter with it in a SHTF situation. That is the main reason I don't own any.

I would not turn it down, but don't see any reason to chase any for long term, for exactly the same reason as above.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby H2SO4 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:39 am

Mossy wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote: The only problems with platinum is that the general public is not familiar with it... which could present a problem if you want to sell or barter with it in a SHTF situation. That is the main reason I don't own any.

I would not turn it down, but don't see any reason to chase any for long term, for exactly the same reason as above.

I guess my thought is that I wont base my investments on the lowest common denominator. Its taken into consideration, but not the only factor.
H2SO4
Penny Pincher Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:17 am

Gold is swell, its solid currency for sure, its just that history stops me in my tracks.

they done it before, they'll do it again.

Besides, i run with regular folk, Ag has been the currency of regular folk for thousands of years, along with Cu.

i'll stick with that.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby My2Cents » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:46 am

I hear ya... and to be sure, I'll bet that our government will ban private ownership of gold once again... but that's only if they can find mine. There's always a black market for gold.
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:06 am

My2Cents wrote:I hear ya... and to be sure, I'll bet that our government will ban private ownership of gold once again... but that's only if they can find mine. There's always a black market for gold.

That's a pretty good argument to:
a. Buy pre-33 gold which was exempted from the first seizure.
b. Buy slabbed gold with an established numismatic value
c. Buy a clasp for every round so you can claim that it is jewelry rather than bullion.
d. Bury it in the back yard.

In other places and times, people have made necklaces from links of a known weight and fineness. When you need to cash some of it in, you just peel off a link.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:33 pm

Engineer wrote:
In other places and times, people have made necklaces from links of a known weight and fineness. When you need to cash some of it in, you just peel off a link.

Thats what I plan to do with wedding / engagement rings.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals