Can't explain this!!!!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Can't explain this!!!!

Postby joediana » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:24 pm

Bought a ryedale the first of the year, been sorting an average of 3 boxes a week and up until 3 weeks ago been averaging 25%-28% then starting seeing the effects of the suprt sorter 6 straight boxes that avg a mere 15 coins total, was thinking of backing off for awhile in hopes it would pick up, so I picked up what I figured would be my last boxes. 1st box returned me to my previous avg of 26% needless to say i was excited. opened second brinks box and noticed the top layer of rolls seemed extremely dark, no shiny edges. well turns out this brinks box yielded 2350 copper pennies 94%. So my question to all you veterans is what the heck happened?
joediana

Re: Can't explain this!!!!

Postby jacer333 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:57 pm

Welcome to the forum, and to the sorting madness!

Looks like someone was playing a trick on you holding the coppers back, then finally thought you suffered enough and released them ;)
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Kurr » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:59 pm

Either bad luck, or another sorter in the area. I swear I have bought someones dumps on occasion too.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:14 pm

Yep....the copper gods are teasing you!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby everything » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:19 pm

I never ask for an explanation for getting stuck with a box full of zinc because it finally happened to me too. But, explaining how you get so much copper in a box .. Maybe coppers sunk to the bottom of the hopper when they pushed the last of those in you got a 94% box but I'm kinda reaching for an explanation here.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:25 pm

Perhaps the super sorter is only 94% accurate and one of the "copper" boxes escaped back to the bank, or maybe the copper order has been filled and brinks has a bunch of these boxes going back out to the banks. :?:
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:39 pm

RichardPenny43 wrote:Perhaps the super sorter is only 94% accurate and one of the "copper" boxes escaped back to the bank, or maybe the copper order has been filled and brinks has a bunch of these boxes going back out to the banks. :?:

Geez, this anecdote goes back a few years, so it might not be applicable to current times...

When I first got into the game, there were far fewer sorters out there than today, and the bank tellers were oblivious to the "game." There were not very many coin machines in banks, and coinstar was a relatively new thing. Word had recently gotten out that a company in Ohio was sorting copper and melting them down and caused the legislation to pass which we now refer to as The Melt Ban...

I had regular orders for $300 in brinks boxes from my bank... would pick them up every Wednesday at lunch when I had a regular job type job. The boxes ran about 33% Cu, typically. Then I got a batch of oddities. At least $200 worth of nearly solid zinc with the balance in nearly solid coppers. Obviously they had been sorted and stashed and then dispersed into the system. Why they suddenly changed is a question I've never been able to answer. But, for the next few weeks the story repeated. I quit my weekly order shortly thereafter.

It was speculated by friends (realcent guys of old) that it was the supersorter at work, and I had just gotten the boxes from the wrong pile.

Perhaps you have found some leftovers, or perhaps the supersorter is back at it...
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby deacon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:04 pm

Six bad batches and then a great score. Who knows, maybe the super sorter will release a few more good boxes.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby doug » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:13 pm

Maybe they are testing the supersorters to make sure they are still working right. Then they just dumped the bins into the wrappers as is.
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby joediana » Tue May 01, 2012 11:03 am

will be picking up 2 more boxes from this bank tomorrow so I will see the great and powerful super sorter has in store for me
joediana

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing