Buying Silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Buying Silver

Postby Jonflyfish » Tue May 15, 2012 2:45 pm

Bought some silver at the spot price of $27.65
Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Buying Silver

Postby beauanderos » Tue May 15, 2012 2:54 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:Bought some silver at the spot price of $27.65
Cheers!

Some physical? Or another paper play? I am officially wary, after seeing so much (personal) wealth destruction, I've kinda lost my taste for the game.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby barrytrot » Tue May 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Ray is it "destruction" or just "compression"?

Assuming you have your Scrooge McDuck like hoard still in tact the value will magically reappear should silver increase again, which I find to be quite likely eventually.
barrytrot

Postby Market Harmony » Tue May 15, 2012 2:57 pm

I bought some scrap sterling off of eBay for the first time in a long time... average price per fine oz of $23.67... of course, it's gonna take a little cost to refine and reprocess to market accepted bullion... I'm happy
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Jonflyfish » Tue May 15, 2012 2:58 pm

beauanderos wrote:
Cheers!

Some physical? Or another paper play? I am officially wary, after seeing so much (personal) wealth destruction, I've kinda lost my taste for the game.

Lifting the financial hedges and using the proeeds for physical purchases. It's how I stack and rack- Protect the stack with hedges then uses the proceeds to rack more on the stack.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby deacon » Tue May 15, 2012 3:02 pm

I'm thinking of picking up some SLV. What are your thoughts JFF? I stack and hold, but paper comes and goes.

Deauanderos, do you diversify with other things? Miners, energy, dividend stocks, ect?
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby Country » Tue May 15, 2012 4:03 pm

I'm scaling in with the RSI this low. Probably going to BUY more CEF tomorrow if it continues downward.

I think what we're seeing in the last few weeks is the European liquidation phase of assets, similiar to the breakdown here in the US in 2008. My guess is there is forced liquidation going on in Europe to try to repay sovereign debt. Perhaps the IMF or other central organization is forcing some of these sovereigns to liquidate a large portion of their GOLD before loan debt is to be sanctified. A large printing of fiat was the after effect here, and it would be reasonable to assume that it will occur in Europe some time soon. All of this is long term bullish for barbarians like us.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Tue May 15, 2012 4:07 pm

barrytrot wrote:Ray is it "destruction" or just "compression"?

Assuming you have your Scrooge McDuck like hoard still in tact the value will magically reappear should silver increase again, which I find to be quite likely eventually.

Just saying, not advising anyone here, but in my own case... dry powder is looking pretty good compared to our usual alternatives.
beauanderos

Postby rexmerdinus » Tue May 15, 2012 5:13 pm

Cheers!

Thought I'd gloat a little too. Just locked in some ASE's at $30.45 shipped, with spot at $27.80. I know silver may still be on its way down, but I had some dry powder and couldn't resist popping off a round or two!
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby fb101 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:14 pm

JFF -
Big thanks for the tip off.
Big question -
I realize you're not giving advice, but lets say on general terms, if somebody
locked in a price of 27.65, where might this nonspecific somebody want to put the stop order?
Thanks again!
fb101

Postby rsk1963 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:34 pm

rexmerdinus wrote:Thought I'd gloat a little too. Just locked in some ASE's at $30.45 shipped, with spot at $27.80. I know silver may still be on its way down, but I had some dry powder and couldn't resist popping off a round or two!

where?
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Member » Tue May 15, 2012 7:28 pm

I'm still holding out till $26.
check me out on facebook Lake's Coin's and Militaria
Copper Member
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Tue May 15, 2012 8:00 pm

rsk1963 wrote:
rexmerdinus wrote:Thought I'd gloat a little too. Just locked in some ASE's at $30.45 shipped, with spot at $27.80. I know silver may still be on its way down, but I had some dry powder and couldn't resist popping off a round or two!

where?

Hopefully I'll buy when it's $26 too!

As to where, read my sig. No, I'm not peddling the program--if you read back a few days on this forum, my offer to do a group buy at my cost is still good!
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue May 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Copper Member wrote:I'm still holding out till $26.

$23.68 :lol:
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Tue May 15, 2012 8:56 pm

fb101 wrote:JFF -
Big thanks for the tip off.
Big question -
I realize you're not giving advice, but lets say on general terms, if somebody
locked in a price of 27.65, where might this nonspecific somebody want to put the stop order?
Thanks again!

Hi fb101,
Not sure about specific stops at this level. What I've done is to be "paper short" my physical stack from the highs as a hedge and am now starting to lift the hedge and use the proceeds to buy more physical to protect afresh after the next giant rally. Being short from a much higher level essentially locks in that price as the shorts benefit from the decline in a 1:1 ratio. I'm sure you know that but it sucks that I have taken such criticisms and verbal assaults here for trading paper that not only protected and locked in the physical stack at a higher level but ultimately increased the size of the stack as well. I much prefer that vs watching the price go down day after day without any benefit...and there's no greater feeling than to see the phyzz stack increase because the price went down. I was sorely attacked for doing this but as a physical hoarder I could think of nothing better to do. It's my version of "To protect and serve" :lol:
Have a great rest of the week. I'm off to The Bahamas for some R&R.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Beau » Tue May 15, 2012 10:31 pm

rsk1963 wrote:

where?

APMEX IS 500 2012 SILVER EGLES for $30.35 at 11:35 EASTERN TIME
Last edited by Beau on Wed May 16, 2012 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Tue May 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Bought more at spot $27.42 after lifting more hegemoney
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SoFa » Wed May 16, 2012 2:48 am

If you guys love silver at 28 or 27 now, what's the rush? Buy it when it's going back up through 27 or 28.
If it goes up fast you might miss it by a little bit, but maybe a much lower price will be hit and you can get more ounces.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed May 16, 2012 4:56 am

SoFa wrote:If you guys love silver at 28 or 27 now, what's the rush? Buy it when it's going back up through 27 or 28.
If it goes up fast you might miss it by a little bit, but maybe a much lower price will be hit and you can get more ounces.

They wouldn't be buying if they were certain the price would continue to drop. Their actions speak their thoughts... that the market has likely bottomed and will revert to an upward direction. Who knows if they're right. It's a tough call to make, particularly after silver has dropped twelve days in a row. :?
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Wed May 16, 2012 5:54 am

Fundamentally, its very difficult to call a bottom - I've never been very good at it and don't know many (any) with solid track records at either timing them or noting the specific number - and frankly, it's even hard to know when it is truly "going back up". What I have been good at it trends, and even though I have been frustrated a couple of times as trends I have successfully called have resulted in my having to sit on the sidelines while the market continued up for many, many months (irrationally, I believed - and was eventually proven right). What I have learned from all this is that timing is out of my control. But I've learned to trust my gut on trends, and our trend now is inevitably down for the larger market/economy.

Regardless, this is far more than a pure value call, or an investment. My fundamental objective over the past 18 months has been to convert FRNs - which have no fundamental basis of value and which will eventually be seen as worthless - into things of relatively lasting fundamental value to both my family and to others, which are some mix of various desirable attributes of either capital creation or recognized wealth. In so doing I recognize that I am both learning how to do this as I am going along, and doing it in a way that I will see in hindsight was not perfectly efficient - but I don't know any other better trustworthy way to do it. I would prefer to buy as low as possible, but the process (at least my process) is inherently inefficient. My belief is that the price of what I have acquired will eventually rise to the point where my relative inefficiences at this stage will be overcome.

I also have a fundamental concern/belief that the market will literally dissolve overnight one night, and I have no idea when that day/night will be. It could have been last night. It could be tonight. So my decision making includes a preference to buy and have physical in hand now versus some possibility of a slightly lower price tomorrow which may not happen and which may result in me postponing the buy for too long.

It's not my objective to be "rich", but to protect what I have. For me the "risky" commodity holding is silver, versus gold. For primary wealth preservation I hold gold. For a mix of preservation with some hope/belief in additional appreciation, I hold silver. Those that desire to be wealthy should not be quick to follow any of my advice. :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby silverflake » Wed May 16, 2012 7:26 am

Guys, I was out of town for 2 days and I come back and silver is under $28/ounce? What have you all been doing? Well thanks for the oppotunity but I have very little dry powder. Gonna have to search through the sofa cushions to scrape together some coinage to buy some silver today. Or should I wait until tomorrow?

Keep stacking.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Wed May 16, 2012 7:55 am

SoFa wrote:If you guys love silver at 28 or 27 now, what's the rush? Buy it when it's going back up through 27 or 28.

I'm buying all the way down...selling all the way down too, as long as I can net a spread, with which I add to my personal stack. If I pay $2.00 over spot for Eagles, I can make a small profit, even on FeeBay with PayPal.
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Wed May 16, 2012 12:47 pm

$26.91 lifts more hedgemoney for the phyzz stack & rack.
That's a huge pull from high levels!
Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Beau » Wed May 16, 2012 1:17 pm

rexmerdinus wrote:

I'm buying all the way down...selling all the way down too, as long as I can net a spread, with which I add to my personal stack. If I pay $2.00 over spot for Eagles, I can make a small profit, even on FeeBay with PayPal.

where can you get ASE`s at $2. over spot?
my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby doug » Wed May 16, 2012 1:33 pm

Beau wrote:
rexmerdinus wrote:

where can you get ASE`s at $2. over spot?

Check his siginature line at the bottom of his post.
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals