I tested POSITIVE... SCORE!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I tested POSITIVE... SCORE!

Postby Pennybug » Tue May 22, 2012 8:34 pm

So I went into one of those "we sell broken/reject stuff" stores (kinda like a thrift store... but it's new stuff... like returns... slightly damaged... etc) Anyhow... I'm looking around and I see these boxes of jewelry. The heading catches my eye (obviously the STERLING part). So I'm looking at them when the store owner comes up and says "2 for $10". I figure... take two home... weigh them... test them (but I didn't have a tester kit at that time)... and if the math adds up... get them ALL (16 total left after my 2). So... i took the 1st 2 to the local pawn shop. "Sorry... not silver" the dude says. I was WAAAAAYYYY not convinced since I have a pretty good eye for what silver looks like and I had already given them a good once over (cut into them to see if it was plated, microscope checked, etc.... but NO ACID test kit... YET.) Anyhow... he tested them (kinda a young punk kid really) and he said (without showing me and... barely looking himself) "This ain't silver". Unconvinced... I got a silver/gold test kit. I tried it out on various silver/non-silver items. Lo and behold... they tested POSITIVE for me! Just like the BOX SAID (I even told him that). So... 5 days later... I went back... they were still there (ALL OF THEM). I went to the teller and said "I'll give you $50 for all of them." "DEAL... " she said. The grand total... just under 8 oz of sterling for $50!

The lessons I got from this... DON'T trust just any ol' pawn shop guy to shoot you straight on testing silver. (I do have 1 I trust WHOLE HEARTEDLY... he was just in another town at that time). Second... IT ALWAYS pays to keep your eyes out for what's out there! Third (and SADLY kinda)... there were just too many people who should have snatched that up really! Just goes to show you how many people are NOT in tune with their surroundings and how it pays off to be aware.

This marks my 1st Non-coin silver score. WOO HOO!
Attachments
Photo050.jpg
Photo050.jpg (54.52 KiB) Viewed 508 times
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Re: I tested POSITIVE... SCORE!

Postby Oakair » Tue May 22, 2012 8:40 pm

I'd buy that!
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby madman326 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:43 pm

awesome score pennybug!!! garage sales have been good to me with sterling silverware always getting overlooked by most.
madman326
Penny Collector Member

Postby Robarons » Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 pm

Its interesting, in most cases that packing looks weird and has a fake vibe.

But one thing you cant forget is that from 1990-2000 Silver averaged $4 and Gold $250 an ounce. So they probably did this 'dollar store' packing cause it didnt matter back then, I would assume something like this cost .25-50 cents whole sale. I remember a jeweler saying he could get 14k charms and bracelets for $4 each whole sale.

This looks old- any dates on it? It would be surprising to sell something like this in the past 5 years
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby BamaJoe » Tue May 22, 2012 9:31 pm

For a minute I thought you were either pregnant or that you "scored" and tested positive for some type of diesease. :lol:
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Oakair » Tue May 22, 2012 11:28 pm

BamaJoe wrote:For a minute I thought you were either pregnant or that you "scored" and tested positive for some type of diesease. :lol:

I thought one of those things 8-)
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Saabman » Wed May 23, 2012 7:09 am

Great score!!!! WTG!!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby mflugher » Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 am

That thing really weighs half a oz??

Anyway good score buddy 8 oz for $50 that a good deal.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pennybug » Wed May 23, 2012 10:34 am

BamaJoe wrote:For a minute I thought you were either pregnant or that you "scored" and tested positive for some type of diesease. :lol:

:D I was wondering how long it would take someone to say that! You beat my expectations by about 12 hrs! Nicely done! Big fan of word play humor...

mflugher wrote:That thing really weighs half a oz??

Anyway good score buddy 8 oz for $50 that a good deal.

.523 to be exact. There were 2 types... a necklace and a bracelet. The bracelet (pictured) was a thicker composition. The necklace was .481.

Robarons wrote:Its interesting, in most cases that packing looks weird and has a fake vibe.

But one thing you cant forget is that from 1990-2000 Silver averaged $4 and Gold $250 an ounce. So they probably did this 'dollar store' packing cause it didnt matter back then, I would assume something like this cost .25-50 cents whole sale. I remember a jeweler saying he could get 14k charms and bracelets for $4 each whole sale.

EXACTLY what I thought too at 1st which is why I didn't buy the whole lot at the getgo. After the pawn shop guy tested it... I was ABOUT to turn it down... but I was just not convinced that the pawn dude knew what he was doing. Anyhow... as Rob pointed out... it did have dates on it from 2001. The original stickers said $32 on them as well. Anyhow... I'm convinced they are indeed silver as the box stated (even though they are not stamped).
This looks old- any dates on it? It would be surprising to sell something like this in the past 5 years
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Robarons » Wed May 23, 2012 10:44 am

So assuming that the sticker reads 2001 and thats when the product was produced, Kitco says Silver averaged $4.20 an ounce.

So these necklaces/bracelets had a melt value of $1.75 to $2 correct? And if its jewelry I wouldnt be surprised if it was 75% off the ticket price of $32, which would still yield the retailer a profit

Very interesting
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals